Reversing train direction and automatic grade crossings

priorityz by smileyman is just a driver command that is placed in the drivers schedule. If you do have a plan at anytime I would be glad to help with the ATLS set up. In most situations all the commands would work automatically within AI.

Not that complex, The priority command is simply a single driver command that when "activated" does exactly the same as the CTL+R-click>manual set priority thing. It is faster to set, fire, and forget then to manually change the priority. No need to play with codes, or KUID tables.

Oh, sorry I didn't make it clear. I was talking about the ATLS Crossing command and not the priorityz command. I actually knew how to use that already.

I do have an ATLS crossing on my testing route (the route is mainly for testing new content or if I want to see how something looks or works) and I set it up in BASIC mode (2 triggers) and it worked perfectly after the loco passed the first trigger, stopped, then reversed back. After that the crossing deactivated. However, Approach Medium's route has 2 triggers VERY close to each other at some crossings. I have no idea if this is an issue or not. Mine were pretty far apart to be a switching crossing. I will go and test different configurations for triggers in different switching scenarios too.

Last edited:
2 trigger mode means only max 2 triggers must be passed in any direction even if you only have one trigger on the track it must be passed twice. Likewise the 4 trigger mode needs to have passed the single trigger 4 times to complete the cycle. The arrive mode only activates and the leave mode only deactivates, this only works if you pass the arrive trigger first.

I understand how the ATLS Trigger system works in switching scenarios now!

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!

I understand and I hope I can help other people understand too. So, I did a crossing test today with the ATLS system with an SD40-2 and 3 cars behind it. So, the ATLS 4 and 2 trigger system require 2 or 4 triggers to be activated and deactivated by a train to activate crossings or other trackside accessories. That doesn't mean you actually need 2 or more triggers, you actually could have 1! However, you would have to activate and deactivate it twice with a train. Putting 2 triggers close to the crossing is actually a good idea because both of them are activated at the same time which means when the train exits the crossing area, it will deactivate immediately. With the triggers farther away, switching becomes an issue. A train long enough to activate 2 or more triggers far apart from each other is a very easy situation for you not to mess up the crossing. However, as your train gets shorter as you switch cars, the train doesn't reach both triggers. This ISN'T a problem if you are only going one direction with the triggers far apart. It IS A PROBLEM when you stop the train in the middle of the crossing when you have only activated one of the triggers and then start to reverse. This causes the crossing to stay on because you didn't activate and deactivate the 2nd one so the crossing would turn off. For now, to fix the crossings, all you have to do is pull a train up to ONE of the triggers activate it and deactivate it. This will deactivate the crossing allowing traffic to flow again.

I have already proposed that the ATLS Slave have a off and on button to turn the invisible train on and off. I think this would work perfectly so we could just quickly turn the crossing off with a few clicks of the mouse.

Last edited:
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY!

I understand and I hope I can help other people understand too. So, I did a crossing test today with the ATLS system with an SD40-2 and 3 cars behind it. So, the ATLS 4 and 2 trigger system require 2 or 4 triggers to be activated and deactivated by a train to activate crossings or other trackside accessories. That doesn't mean you actually need 2 or more triggers, you actually could have 1! However, you would have to activate and deactivate it twice with a train. Putting 2 triggers close to the crossing is actually a good idea because both of them are activated at the same time which means when the train exits the crossing area, it will deactivate immediately. With the triggers farther away, switching becomes an issue. A train long enough to activate 2 or more triggers far apart from each other is a very easy situation for you not to mess up the crossing. However, as your train gets shorter as you switch cars, the train doesn't reach both triggers. This ISN'T a problem if you are only going one direction with the triggers far apart. It IS A PROBLEM when you stop the train in the middle of the crossing when you have only activated one of the triggers and then start to reverse. This causes the crossing to stay on because you didn't activate and deactivate the 2nd one so the crossing would turn off. For now, to fix the crossings, all you have to do is pull a train up to ONE of the triggers activate it and deactivate it. This will deactivate the crossing allowing traffic to flow again.

I have already proposed that the ATLS Slave have a off and on button to turn the invisible train on and off. I think this would work perfectly so we could just quickly turn the crossing off with a few clicks of the mouse.

Not only does the system require 2 (or 4) triggers to be crossed, (and yes, it can be the same trigger 2 or 4 times), but the triggers also have to be crossed by the SAME train. If you couple or de-couple trains, Trainz may give that train a different ID number. If so, the ATLS system will see it as a different train and never clear the first train, which may now no longer exist. The results will be unpredictable.

If you want to shunt and couple trains over an ATLS crossing your only solution is to turn off the ATLS Triggers by the ‘Priority’ method described earlier. This will make your switching train/trains invisible to ATLS. Just switching on and off the Slave will not work as the Triggers will still send out info to the Controller which will remember it. When you turn the Slave back on it will still be out of sync with what is happening and not work correctly, probably still waiting for a train which no longer exists to clear the area.

If you want to close the crossing during these (ignored by ATLS) switching operations then do it manually. Put a junction, invisible or otherwise in the invisible track that goes to the Slave. Put a close-by loco on this new invisible track and switch the junction when you want the crossing to operate. Switch the junction back to the Slave when finished. You can always hide the loco in a building or even underground. The most important thing is to turn off the ATLS Triggers by ‘Priority’.

Boat

Hi Boat
One method ive used is to place the male (a locomotive) on invisible track and set up with four driver commands. Wait for message and clear 1, ATLS 2 mode command with channel number, wait for message and clear 2, and ATLS 2 mode command with channel number and repeat. This allows for automatic or manual control and does not rely on the train number. Any train can send message 1 and the male will send the trigger. A different train could send the message 2 again the male will send the trigger. This does not effect the normal ATLS functions of other trains. So this method could be used in yards for shunting. ATLS controller gets the signal from the male which does not move but it can get a message from anywhere on the route.

Last edited:
The reason, at least for me, that the ATLS Slave working as a controller would not work is how the system is designed. From looking at your posts above I realized that would be an issue. Another idea could be to have a override switch to disable the ATLS Triggers until the player clicks on that button again so you have complete manual control over the crossing when needed.

Another idea I got is couldn't you just have a switch in between the crossing and the ATLS Slave and throw that switch when the crossing glitches, etc, so you can turn it off and on when needed? Does doing that devert the "signal" from the invisible train or not? You could also have the Slave and another invisible train on a siding next to the slave beyond the other switch and throw that switch if the real train deactivates the automatic part of the crossing.

I just got an even better idea! Why not just have a reset button?

Last edited:
Sounds like all kinds of fun for those who like to throw switches, but seriously, folks, here in the States (or Canada, for that matter) only tram drivers get to switch signals at crossings. All the big trains are automatic.

ATLS crossings are convenient to install -- just throw 'em down, set 'em and they'll work -- and are fine for open running areas, but why spend all this time, effort and performance-impacting assets when you can just do a similar installation with My Level Crossings-3
<kuid2:131986:155203:4> or -3a <kuid:373500:100175> and do all the shunting you want within the zone while the crossing takes care of itself?

:B~)

Sounds like all kinds of fun for those who like to throw switches, but seriously, folks, here in the States (or Canada, for that matter) only tram drivers get to switch signals at crossings. All the big trains are automatic.

ATLS crossings are convenient to install -- just throw 'em down, set 'em and they'll work -- and are fine for open running areas, but why spend all this time, effort and performance-impacting assets when you can just do a similar installation with My Level Crossings-3
<kuid2:131986:155203:4> or -3a <kuid:373500:100175> and do all the shunting you want within the zone while the crossing takes care of itself?

I would love to use this rule but I cannot get it to work from a saved session :(

Darn!

I would love to use this rule but I cannot get it to work from a saved session :(

Unhappy to say, you are correct. I just tested it out with one of my older sessions. :'(

I'm guessing the rule parameters are not saved with the session for reasons unknown to me. I can avoid the issue by just running a session straight through, but that option may not be available to you. What a nuisance.

I'm working on other things at the moment. When I have them done I will start learning Trainz scripting and see what can be done.

<:B~(

ATLS assets when first set up are saved in the session, not the route, and will only return if you edit session. To save settings to the route you need to copy the code in the top left of the asset into the name window for the asset. This will remain with the route every time you open it even if you only open route for edit.
It is not a rule, it is a set of assets that are set up to link them all together for each channel.

Another idea could be to have a override switch to disable the ATLS Triggers until the player clicks on that button again so you have complete manual control over the crossing when needed.

The ATLS automation would not know what is going on when you re-activate it.

Another idea I got is couldn't you just have a switch in between the crossing and the ATLS Slave and throw that switch when the crossing glitches, etc, so you can turn it off and on when needed? Does doing that devert the "signal" from the invisible train or not? You could also have the Slave and another invisible train on a siding next to the slave beyond the other switch and throw that switch if the real train deactivates the automatic part of the crossing.

Yes, but if you are doing that then you might as well just have a manual system and forget ATLS altogether. And no, the Controller will still talk to the Slave whether its connected to the Crossing or not.

I just got an even better idea! Why not just have a reset button?

You would have to be very careful when you pressed it. If trains were in the area, they may already have triggered ATLS. Re-setting it would confuse it.

BUT the biggest problem is how do you press a button? Only certain classes of assets are mouse sensitive in Driver mode. Train Levers, junctions, turntables etc. Buildable assets like the Slave and Controller are not, nor is the trigger. I don't know how you would make it 'clickable'. You mentioned you will be learning Trainz Script. Perhaps you will find a way.

ATLS assets when first set up are saved in the session, not the route, and will only return if you edit session. To save settings to the route you need to copy the code in the top left of the asset into the name window for the asset. This will remain with the route every time you open it even if you only open route for edit.
It is not a rule, it is a set of assets that are set up to link them all together for each channel.

I think the gentlemen may be referring to coming back from a save in the game??? ATLS now remembers where relevent trains are when you save so it will return from a save with the crossing open or closed as it was when you saved. (Some barriers may go through their annimation at re-start first). Old ATLS versions did not do that. Its not as easy as just saving a few variables though. If you save when ATLS is waiting half way down a function, the program has to re-start at that point. It can be tricky!
By the way Keith, I like your idea of using a spare train as a programing tool. Nice one!

Boat

BUT the biggest problem is how do you press a button? Only certain classes of assets are mouse sensitive in Driver mode. Train Levers, junctions, turntables etc. Buildable assets like the Slave and Controller are not, nor is the trigger. I don't know how you would make it 'clickable'. You mentioned you will be learning Trainz Script. Perhaps you will find a way.

I actually am not learning the script. Approach Medium has looked at it before though. I don't think it would be so hard to make it mouse sensitive. ALL trains are and buildings are too and the ATLS Slave is a building. I also don't think people would mind getting a train out of the way to reset the crossing. Isn't that the whole point anyway? Removing the train from the crossing area so you can reset it. In real life, few trains should be around a crossing while it is under maintenace anyway so the maintenance crew can work and fix the crossing.

Sorry for the confusions

Sorry, Stagecoach. Ken and I were discussing issues with atilabarut's My Level Crossings rule which does the same thing as ATLS grade crossings, but better.

Oh, I forgot that the ATLS Controller will still talk to the ATLS Slave. Well why not the ATLS Controller then? That could have a reset button instead of the Slave. You could make a visible control box that you can view the details of and click the reset button to reset the controller which would reset the crossing.

I have already used the manual crossing method and a combination of auto and manual ones in switching areas. I changed all of the crossings within switching areas to ignore priority 1. This, along with a manual crossing controller (switches and an invisible train), allows you to turn the crossing on and off at your will. This also allows me to put cars and locos right next to the configured crossings and turn the crossing on and off when I want to. This works well but I have also removed 4 triggers on one of the crossings too. (The crossing had 16, now it has 12.)

Last edited:
Back