Need an explaination.

dynajet

I have been working with Trainz since 2004 on and off. Now that I have retired I'm getting back into it. Can someone please explain to me the difference between a route and session? If I save a change it asks to save the route and you get a chose to save a new route or overwrite it. If I select to over write the session sometime I loss commands that I have created. All I really want to do is say my work and not anything I do during a test drive.

Very confused.

I have Trainz New Era with the latest build running on a Mac.

Thanks for any help.

I have been working with Trainz since 2004 on and off. Now that I have retired I'm getting back into it. Can someone please explain to me the difference between a route and session? If I save a change it asks to save the route and you get a chose to save a new route or overwrite it. If I select to over write the session sometime I loss commands that I have created. All I really want to do is say my work and not anything I do during a test drive.

Very confused.

I have Trainz New Era with the latest build running on a Mac.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

The main difference is,... A route is your initial layout which will include all track-laying, signals, catenary, terrain levels, roads, buildings, industries, stations, scenery, etc.

When you are sure you don't want to add any additional assets to your route, save your route in your selected title.

Then begin your Session, which will include any trains, consists, driver commands, triggers, portal control. Then save your session with a specific name that you can remember and easily access.

From this point, only EDIT your SESSION, and not the route. If you make changes in your session, when saving, it may ask if you want to also save the route. If you want those changes to appear in your route, say yes,... if you don't then say no.

If you edit your Route, your Session may miss out on anything you might have changed,

Remember that the Session is dependent on what you have placed on your route.

I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Roy

From this point, only EDIT your SESSION, and not the route.

Roy's advice is spot on. Nearly all of the complaints in these forums about "things going missing" from routes (apart from some well known TANE SP2 bugs) is due to confusion between routes and sessions. Edit a route without a session and you risk losing session data. Edit a session and nothing should be lost. Avoid saving routes and sessions using the "default" name - always give both clear memorable names.

Another source of confusion is the difference between route layers and session layers. May I recommend a post in one thread that may help clear up this difference. https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...-work-for-locos-or-cars&p=1573003#post1573003

I've been using surveyor for years and understood the difference between routes and their sessions, but I had to learn to be a lot more deliberate with TANE when it comes to saving my work. Thanks for the reminders.

Back