Clam shell crane/hoist?

This is the third type, much smaller and should go well on your stuff Malc.

Thanks so much Ben.

Last edited:
I should point out that this isn't Ben's first foray into clamshells

Thorn Berger hoists for transferring coal from barges/ships to rail cars. Fully animated industries.

He's done some other hoists too. All on the DLS.

Thorn Bergers in action

Please excuse my terribly sloppy track work.

Last edited:
What an incredible machine those Berger hoists are, I've never seen anything like that before.

Will the clam buckets (not Berger ones) be made available seperately to attach to other cranes/hoists?

Thanks,

Graham

The Thorn Berger hoists were quite common until the newer and far more efficient Hewlett's arrived (which are still used today).

I wasn't planning to but I can make the clamshells as separate items if you wish. Let me know please (and which sizes).

Ben

Ben, you are a gentleman!

The buckets as shown in post #17 look ideal for me.

Open or closed, makes no difference.

Many thanks,

Graham

Let me see what I can do. I do wonder how you will connect these to existing cranes that already have a hook attached to the end of the boom.

Also - do you want them with or without the attached cables?

Ben

Ben

Mr. Dorsey did a animated clamshell bridge crane industry too.

<kuid2:210518:10632:2> Clamshell_Bridge_Crane. Only the track farthest from the coal pile is active. (build 2.9) The lettering on the bridge can be changed by editing the config.txt. (oops forgot to select a stack for the loco)

Last edited:
Thanks Norm - I forgot about that one.

I believe I made an item called Indoor Coal Yard that uses an animated clamshell as well.

Ben

Ben, I thought it would be beneficial to show you what I am doing....

This is what I have now..

<kuid:351022:22004> WS Portalkran 1
<kuid:83218:27006> Gantry crane bulk load scoop

The loaded coal wagon goes under the crane, coal is the hoisted to the loco coal loading stucture.

This is the type of bucket I need (or anything similar)

<kuid2:351022:22012:1> WS Bekohlungs Anlage (this set-up is too big for my route)

This what I cobbled together in situ..

Crane.jpg

Many thanks,

Graham

Last edited:
Hello all.

Anyone seen anything like this one? I found something similar on the DLS; but I don't like the bright green color (coal-dust-stained grey or black would be better for my taste) nor the animation. It can be a static asset as far as I'm concerned... IF nothing like it is around, Ben, could you throw something like this together? Thanks for your time and consideration.

4dd5b5112658a66dcdbca0b396b2470b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Norm:

At the time I made the indoor coal yard I was putting things on both the TPR site as TRS2004 items and on the DLS as TS2009 items. If its not on the DLS let me go looking. I should have the original meshes and can upgrade as necessary.

prr325:

A while back Dale Pattee (my scripting guru at the time) and I made a crane car with an animated clamshell. I can't remember what we called it so let me go looking. It actually worked but was tricky to set up.

Ben

Euromodeller:

The open and closed clamshells as separate items have ben uploaded to the DLS. Give them a day (or two this being the weekend).

Ben

The last ones from Ben (supposedly).

Does not include coal piles

The ones in front laying on their sides are "rolled" from the ones directly behind them and do not have cables attached. The ones in the air in the back do have cables attached. So two kinds of open and closed 'free' clamshells.

Well this was way more than I expected when I started this thread. I thought someone would say "Oh sure, you want kuid blah:blah".

Thanks for the great stuff Ben!

Edit: BTW the first eight are on the DLS now under Old_Clamshell_Crane #s 1-8. Pretty amazing 15 cranes and 4 buckets in four days from thought to asset. :D

And thanks to everyone who participated!

Last edited:
Euromodeller:

The open and closed clamshells as separate items have ben uploaded to the DLS. Give them a day (or two this being the weekend).

Ben

I can't wait...:udrool:

Meanwhile 2 of your latest releases have found a home on a little Frisian Island in the North Sea just off Germany where old equipment is still put to use.....

Another-clam-bucket%21.jpg

Clam-bucket-in-use%21.jpg

So, a big thank you to Norm and Ben..... you are now officially the founder members of CBAS ---- The Clam Bucket Appreciation Society.

Last edited:
The buckets have arrived !!

On placing the buckets near the original crane I found that crane hook was just too big, so I delved into content manager and came across this..

<kuid2:210518:300536:1> Small_Metal_Traversing_Crane_3 by Mr Ben Dorsey!

I had to go into its config to remove the attached 4 tracks and to change the animation setting to zero

Not fully prototypical but, it's on a model layout, so not too much of a concern for me.

New-Coal-Loader%21.jpg

Thank you Ben, you are a Star!

Back