Clam shell crane/hoist?

normhart

Trainz Entry Level

Does anyone know of a manual or steam powered clam shell hoist or crane asset circa 1800-1900?

Scenery type.

Last edited:
I've made a few items over the years with working (animated and interactive) clamshells but only one might be in that timeframe and it was designed to go on a dock to unload ships or barges. Do you have a photo or drawing of what you have in mind? I might be able to modify one of the ones I've made.

BTW - animating a clamshell is a nightmare, lol.

Ben

Would a steam shovel of 1890-1930 be of use?

JBS Steam shovel by jananton

2 versions, tracked and wheeled.

<kuid:307559:1115> JBS SteamShovel wheelbased
<kuid:307559:1116> JBS SteamShovel catbased

Thanks euromodeller, I do have those, some of my favorites in fact. But not quite what I was looking for.

Ben, I do have these shots

From the University of California (Sacramento Public Library) - Sacramento Roundhouse 1868

From the University of California (Sacramento Public Library)

But I think this might be a chain hoist for wood fuel, can't see the business end. Edit: further research seems to indicate this was a coal yard.

I wasn't looking for animation really, just a "simple" derrick like your <kuid2:210518:8980:1> "YVRR Stiff-Leg Derrick" with a clamshell on the end would do nicely. For that matter just the clamshell, closed or open would work as we could then position it onto any derrick we might like. Maybe in a couple of sizes?

Edit: I know I've seen something like this on a couple of European routes but I can't find it anywhere so far.
And speaking of animation, vincentrh did this marvelous <kuid2:458053:101919:2> Cherbourg : mobile coal crane but it doesn't quite fit in my scene.

Last edited:
Norm:

I took a screenshot of one of thses photos and printed it out for reference. My clamshell is probably too big but if it dioesn't have to be animated I can reduce it in size with the Gmax scaling tool. Let me poke ariound in my items and see what I can come up with (always fun as I can never remember what I called things, lol). Perhaps I can put some items together and come up with somthing.

Will get back to you.

Ben

Thanks Ben,

Those guys with the shovels will be relieved too. :D

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of a standalone clamshell that can be "hooked" to any crane or derrick.

The WP&Y used a lot of guys like that. I call them BSG's (Big Sweaty Guys, lol).

Took a quick run thru my items list and it appears I have 3 or 4 that might be suitable. Let me see what I can come up with in addition to a stand alone clamshell (one in the open and one in the closed position). Hum - come to think of it just connecting a clamshell to the hook might not be too prototypical due to the way they worked. Wouldn't be a problem for items I made as I can delete the hook and modify things as needed but might look slightly odd just added to someone else's item.

Ben

True, not all that prototypical but if you search around you can find clamshell add-ons that are designed to be attached via a hook and have a second cable/chain that controls the clamshell opening and closing. Nothing fancy just weight and counter weight.

But I think this might be a chain hoist for wood fuel, can't see the business end. Edit: further research seems to indicate this was a coal yard.

Yep, that's a pneumatic coal loader. As far as I can tell, they had a hook on the end of the line, and hoisted buckets of coal to the top of the tender where they were dumped. I believe CSRM may have one somewhere.

I put a simple model of one on the DLS; KUID:124060:60091 - though without any buckets....

coal_hoist.jpg

Wow that's nice although I have to disagree that that is what is pictured at the Sac. yard. You can see the guy leaning into the wheels at the base and the chain running up over the pulley at the top, along the arm, and over the pulley at the end. Although I do agree it is likely a bucket hoist rather than a clamshell. Looks like it is probably a three guy operation, one guy filling buckets, the guy cranking the wheel, and the guy sitting on the top of the tender dumping the buckets. I wonder how long it took them to load a tender.

Yeah, you're right - it looks like it could be an early, hand-operated version of the above. You can see the rails in the photo that it rolls along to go between the coal pile and the tender.

Norm,
Here are some more German kohle (coal) bits and pieces for you, including coal "buckets"

The large coal staith is animated, the coal bucket moves along the track to the end turntable which rotates!
<kuid2:32942:28001:1> kohlenbansen by coerni
The loading crane is controlable
<kuid2:32942:23006:1> controlable coalingcrane by coerni

The other bits are all by mick1960
<kuid:206616:100073> MV_Kohlehunt_halbvoll
<kuid:206616:100075> MV_Kohlehaufen
<kuid2:206616:100125:1> MV_Kohlekran
<kuid:206616:100136> MV_Kohlebansen

Maybe unsuitable for this route, but worth keeping in your locker!

Coal--kohle.jpg

Thanks EuroModeller it was Mick1960's stuff I was remembering. As you say not quite the fit I thought they would be, I'd forgotten they were bucket lifts. Very, very nice though. I've got so much stuff in my locker I can't find anything. :D

If the handles where up on the buckets this would look pretty good. :D They should look very good with Pencil42's loader.

Last edited:
Ben is both good and fast. :D

The closed clamshell (left) is loaded with coal. :D

Last edited:
:wave: A while back I was looking for some specialized Clam Shell equipment, and I didn't know where to look?

;) I do now after reading another excellent Thread discussion.......Thank you for your contributions.

Brilliant!

Are these clam buckets available for us mere mortals too?

If so, I can complete my steam depot scene in 2 of my routes.

An excellent thread and discussion, thank you. :)

Bendorsey has uploaded the one shown and has two more in development. Both quick and good.

Edit: type two

Last edited:
I've made 6 altogether. 3 different designs - each with an open and closed clamshell buckets. The closed ones have a coal load inside.

If you would like to see something really weird (but prototypical) check out my Thorn Berger Hoists which use a much wider clamshell bucket. They really existed and were fairly common until the Hewlett type unloaders came along. They were steam powered and were used to unload ships and barges at a dock. They are animated and interactive for coal and take a little setting up but if you are interested in a dock scene on an older (pre 1900) route they might be worth a peek.

Ben

Got a couple of places I can utilise those in Ben actually been looking for something similar!

Cheers

Ya'll should all thank Norm for these as the idea of combining my clamshell with these smaller and mostly manually operated cranes never crossed my (feeble) mind, lol.

Ben

Back