Loco Sand way too heavy!

MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS

7 Year Trainz Vet
Locomotive Sand way too heavy!

So yesterday I downloaded Trainboi1's Central Pacific 4-6-0s and found they didn't move. I had one idea why. I thought the mass of the loco was too much. So I fiddled with it forever and it still did nothing. Then I went to the "loads" tab in the UI of the loco to see if the sand was the problem. It sure was! 1,380 units of sand weighed over 2 BILLION POUNDS! I laughed at how much it weighed. Remember to change how much the Loco-Sand product weighs. Just one unit weighs 1,750 pounds! The is the Loco-Sand with "Loco-Sand" written on it and sand in the background behind the black text.

Last edited:
Found who's it is. It really is Prowler901's. There is a newer version out there somewhere. I looked at the mass number by the way, it is 800 in the version I have.

Last edited:
For sorting product weights you first need to look at the mass figure in the product itself. Prowlers loco sand is entered as 1.442 which I think is slightly too heavy.
According to a product weight factor chart I have it should be about 1.20. At a load factor of 1.442 800 units would give you a load of 1153.6 Kg or 1.272 US short tons. What you have to think of with product weights is, does it float in water or does it sink. Water has a specific gravity of 1 therefore any product that will sink must have a mass of more than 1, while any product that will float must have a mass of less than 1.

Just my two pennies worth.

Cheers,
Bill69

For sorting product weights you first need to look at the mass figure in the product itself. Prowlers loco sand is entered as 1.442 which I think is slightly too heavy.
According to a product weight factor chart I have it should be about 1.20. At a load factor of 1.442 800 units would give you a load of 1153.6 Kg or 1.272 US short tons. What you have to think of with product weights is, does it float in water or does it sink. Water has a specific gravity of 1 therefore any product that will sink must have a mass of more than 1, while any product that will float must have a mass of less than 1.

Just my two pennies worth.

Cheers,
Bill69

Thanks for the weight. I put it as 0.06 and that value was for pounds.

MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS

You are just not getting it. The specific gravity is weight per liter of a substance and the capacity of a vehicle is expressed in liters or cubic meters.
All measurements in Trianz are in metric values. If you don't want to stick to these values anything you make will not work as intended in Trainz.

Bill69

Last edited:
MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS

You are just not getting it. The specific gravity is weight per liter of a substance and the capacity of a vehicle is expressed in liters or cubic meters.
All measurements in Trianz are in metric values. If you don't want to stick to these values anything you make will not work as intended in Trainz.

Bill69

I said that the load and only the load was listed in pounds in the loads tab in the loco's UI. You see this same UI in Jointed Rail's rolling stock. It is measured in pounds probably because it is a custom UI or it might be because I am using Imperial units on the route. That may have something to do with why the weight is measured in pounds there.

Just because the UI is in pounds it doesn't mean the product weight in the config is pounds, you can change the UI using a script however all mass is kilogram which is what everyone is trying to say, for example you say you set it to 0.06 which = 0.132277lbs, is this really the value your after for 1 litre of loco sand?

As for the UI, all your doing is fiddeling around with this

Code:
       string weightStr = ((string)(int)(totalMass / 1000)) + " tonnes";

to get the UI to read pounds you change it to

Code:
       string weightStr = ((string)(int)(totalMass / 0.453592)) + " lbs";

Cheers.

Just because the UI is in pounds it doesn't mean the product weight in the config is pounds, you can change the UI using a script however all mass is kilogram which is what everyone is trying to say, for example you say you set it to 0.06 which = 0.132277lbs, is this really the value your after for 1 litre of loco sand?

As for the UI, all your doing is fiddeling around with this

Code:
       string weightStr = ((string)(int)(totalMass / 1000)) + " tonnes";

to get the UI to read pounds you change it to

Code:
       string weightStr = ((string)(int)(totalMass / 0.453592)) + " lbs";

Cheers.

Yes, I am happy someone understood what I was saying. The author just changed the UI to read pounds instead of Kilograms but it is really in Kilograms because the game only measures weight in Kilos.

Back