Overhauling Northbay County

MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS

7 Year Trainz Vet
Overhauling Northbay County in TS12

I will not be uploading this to the DLS. This is for my personal use ONLY. Sorry to anyone that would have wanted this modified route.

Screenshots exceed 800x600 in this topic.

So far I have replaced all the track with Pencil42s 3NG 56lb track, added a new roundhouse from Pencil42, added the Multi-Log Decks back in along with the Decker NG3 industries. I will also be adding a new woodchip producing industry at the Northbay Sawmill. This will be separate from the mill and will basically be 1 or 2 multiple industry news with the inputs being 16ft, 32ft, 40ft, and Auran's logs and the output being woodchips for the Rockport Pulp Mill. I will also go and find some Speed Trees and replace the old paper thin ones with better looking Speed Trees. Some trees on the route have been updated or changed and look great while others look terrible. I think I will also go and change out some of the buildings on the route with Pencil42's great old west buildings. If you are wondering, the station is gone and I will replace it will trainboi1's and Andrew's SP Common Standard Type 22 Depot. I will also add other station in Richwood.

The track work will take a long time to do, at least in my opinion anyway because there is so much floating track all over the place. If you don't know already, the different types of old 3ft gauge track have from 0-20 meter enbankments on them. This made it extremely easy for the people who made the route to lay track. The new track does not have enbankments and because of this I am putting Pencil42's spline enbankments under the track to make it look normal. However, I will have to raise the terrain under these embankments if they do not touch the ground in certain areas because the are only 4 meter embankments. I am using Pencil42's tan enbankments and they look good against the dark grey ballast on the 56lb track.

The 2ft gauge line will also get a new Northbound line going to portals.

Last edited:
So how do you upload screenshots to a forum topic without using a 3rd party hosting site or can you only do this through a 3rd party hosting site?

You can upload directly to Auran's servers using the in-game function. However they're still not part of the forum; you still then need to link the images to your post the "manual" way. The best route for most people is to use a 3rd party host.

You can upload directly to Auran's servers using the in-game function. However they're still not part of the forum; you still then need to link the images to your post the "manual" way. The best route for most people is to use a 3rd party host.

Okay, I found the Trainz Gallery on Trainz Portal and that looks as easy as anything to upload screenshots there. Thanks!

Last edited:
Screenshots

I will start adding more screenshots over time. Maybe even after I finish the route because I am almost done already! Just to inform you what I am currently working on, it is the foliage and ground textures. Next I think I will probably go and replace some buildings here and there that I can. The one problem is a lot of buildings are unique so I will keep a lot of them. After that it will probably be industries and then I will be finished.

You are looking at me adding all the SS M-Log Decks back onto the route. I thought it was odd that all the SS M-Log Decks, Decker NG3 Industries and the Dry Sort Yard were all gone but adding them back in was super easy. You also see how long my pick list is without pick list filters in TS12.

Adding-SS-M-Log-Decks-Back.jpg

Last edited:
Well after reading your thread and seeing the nice pictures, I thought this sounded familier, I used to have TS-12, so I had downloaded your route to that version, the real surprise is, I just checked my T:ANE program, Route List, and low and behold your Route was listed.

:cool: And to make double sure, I opened the Route and Voila, it opens fine on T:ANE, now it might have had some missing assets, that I deleted from the original download, I have tested a lot of Routes on T:ANE so I don't recall. It is a really nice Route size for NG scale..........

So I do hope you upload the new version to DLS, however if not, I do always respect an author's wishes.

:wave: With that I bid you a good evening and thank you for sharing with your progress with us.

Well after reading your thread and seeing the nice pictures, I thought this sounded familier, I used to have TS-12, so I had downloaded your route to that version, the real surprise is, I just checked my T:ANE program, Route List, and low and behold your Route was listed.

:cool: And to make double sure, I opened the Route and Voila, it opens fine on T:ANE, now it might have had some missing assets, that I deleted from the original download, I have tested a lot of Routes on T:ANE so I don't recall. It is a really nice Route size for NG scale..........

So I do hope you upload the new version to DLS, however if not, I do always respect an author's wishes.

:wave: With that I bid you a good evening and thank you for sharing with your progress with us.

Thanks! I am happy the route still works in T:ANE even though it is over a decade old. I am sure the overhauled version of the route will work in T:ANE too. I will be uploading a lot more screenshots today.

MTHET

There is no objection to your proposed changes to Northbay County for use on your computer, and you may post screenshots to the forum. However, you do not have permission to upload the changed route to the DLS or distribute the changed route by other means, and as you started without asking, you are unlikely to get that permission.

Narrowgauge.

MTHET

There is no objection to your proposed changes to Northbay County for use on your computer, and you may post screenshots to the forum. However, you do not have permission to upload the changed route to the DLS or distribute the changed route by other means, and as you started without asking, you are unlikely to get that permission.

Narrowgauge.

I orginally was just going to overhaul the route for my personal use then I got the idea that I could upload it to the DLS after asking for your permission first. However, I was not going to upload it anywhere without your permission. I don't mind if you do not permit me to upload the route to the DLS. I do not want to upload anyones work without permission.

Last edited:
Progress Update Oct 3, 2017

Sorry for no more screenshots yet. I will be uploading more soon so don't worry.

Yesterday I completed the embankments and today I added in Rockport's and Richwood's stations from Trainz Forge. They are not interactive though and this upsets me. I also built a small 5 track yard in Rockport, and started adding in some service facilities in Rockport as well which I will try to make look better. The 2 industries I have right now are not on the same ground level and I can't lower or raise them so I will level off the terrain to a certain hight so there is no gradient between the industries. I have a sanding house and a DRGW watertank both from Prowler901 in place already. I will be adding a coaling tower from the DLS along with a bunker-c oil refueling station which will just be a multiple industry new. I have also added a new wye in Rockport. The wye is very large and the new trackage goes behind the dry sort yard. The new set of track connects the Northbound line heading to the portals with the Westbound line heading twards Old Lucky. This allows AI trains to run all the way around Northbay's mainline without having to run around their train or reverse back into the portal. I will be building a lumber transfer platform using Industry Link. This lumber transfer platform is so I can move lumber from the 3ft gauge line to the 2ft gauge line. The Gold Eagle Mine needs lumber in order to operate and that is why this is needed. It is just trees, replacing a few buildings and then the ground textures and after that then I am done! I will post screenshots of trains in operation.

I hope you all like my progress so far!

Last edited:
Finally, some more screenshots!

Replaced all the track on the entire route:
New-track-in-place-all-over-Northbay-County.jpg

Started working on the Embankments:
I-am-now-starting-to-add-embankments-everywhere..jpg

Working-my-way-up-the-mainline..jpg

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Making Progress:
You-are-looking-at-the-mainline-just-past-the-town-of-Northbay..jpg

You-can-really-see-how-high-the-track-was-raised-in-some-areas..jpg

Made it to Coal Mine #2:
Made-it-to-Coal-Mine-%232%21.jpg

Working at the Old Lucky Mill:
Working-at-the-Old-Lucky-Mill-now..jpg

Last edited:
Route Update:

So today I basically finshed the route with some tweaking and fixing some of the massive holes. I found 3 in one place today! I have added trains to the route now and started running them. I do have portals on the North side of the route and there are 6 of them. 3 for the 3ft gauge railway and 3 for the 2ft gauge railway. Both gauges have a reversing loop portal, a from the outside world portal and a to the outside world portal. The reason I have them named outside world instead of to and from DRGW is because I have various locos and pieces of rolling stock from different railroads arrive on the route. There are a lot of consists that I have put in the 3ft gauge "from" portal and there are only 3 consists that come onto the 2ft gauge line from the portals. There are no passenger trains on the 2ft gauge line. I will probably continue to add more consists to the 3ft gauge line but not the 2ft gauge because there really isn't any other consists I could add to it.

Screenshots 10/10/2017

Here are a lot more screenshots.

These 2 are showing some more track work.

This one shows the new layout of Rockport and the new 5 track yard I have put in.

This screenshot is of the new wye in Rockport. I wanted this here so I could have trains run the entire mainline and head back to the portals North of Rockport.

This screenshot is showing the new field textures.

This is the new engine depot at Rockport with a new coaling tower, water tank, sanding house and a new roundhouse. There is also an industry for loading Bunker-C Oil into locos that use it.

Speed Trees!

This screenshot is of the new 2ft gauge mainline I built to the new portals up North.

New bridge for the 2ft gauge line over the river next to Rockport.

This shows the 2ft gauge mainline heading to the portals.

I really liked that route ... I haven't tried importing it to newer versions of Trainz. Enjoying watching your work.

Operations Screenshots!

Today I have some operations screenshots for everyone! Keep in mind the AI trains come from the Northern portals only and that there are no others on the route which allows me to have trains come to an arrival/departure track in Rockport.

This first shot is of the new Rockport Roundhouse. (Roundhouse is from Pencil 42)

This one is of C-16 #223 coming across one of the largest trestles into Rockport.

This is a 50 Ton Climax hauling a 42ft log skeleton train over the Rockport trestle.

West Side Lumber Co. Shay #12 making its way out of the engine depot in Rockport.

I think this is a pretty neat screenshot of K-27 #462 crossing the Rockport trestle.

K-27 #462 slowly making its way across the Rockport trestle.

Unloading logs at the Northbay Sawmill.

Last edited:
I was always sad that I didn't download and/or buy the rolling stock to use the Northbay County the way its designers envisioned. It clearly was intended to include steam engines, passenger cars and at least a boxcar. It was years before I was able to add such assets.

I still had a lot of fun modifying Northbay County in TRS2006. I'd make a copy and start changing things.

You mentioned getting lumber to the gold mine. In one version of the route I tested the Slatyforks Sawmill and learned that it will let you connect 3ft track to one side of the lumber loading platform and 2ft gauge to the other side. Which entailed removing some 3ft track and adding a new 2ft line from behind the Old Lucky Mill to the sawmill. Unfortunately, sometimes you have to delete the industry and put a new copy in for it to accept different sized track. It worked, but I'm not certain that it was an improvement.

I also converted the whole route to 3ft gauge once, it ended up okay, but created some redundant trackage. Since the whole route was 3ft, I put another Portal off the end of the Gossen yard. I'm sure that my alterations didn't help the Trainz AI either. I wasn't as careful as the original builders.

When I look at your roundhouse, I recall when I tried to standard gauge a copy of the Northbay County. It didn't go well since the industries were designed for narrow gauge clearances. The standard gauge equipment didn't fit very well. Some of the assets resisted converting to std gauge track.

Have fun with your work!
Dave

I put a small transfer platform in Rockport off the switch for the Coal Transfer Bins. That made into a 3 way switch of course. That is really the only new industry I added to the route.

Look forward to downloading this new Northbay County layout modified for TS 12 version.
Just a suggestion why not transfer over the old Northbay County sessions as well from the older version, because they are good for demonstrating the route.

Look forward to downloading this new Northbay County layout modified for TS 12 version.
Just a suggestion why not transfer over the old Northbay County sessions as well from the older version, because they are good for demonstrating the route.

I am sorry but this is not for release. It is just for my personal use because the author saw this topic and basically said "no you can't re-upload this because you didn't ask me first" in a nutshell. What I don't get is why he thought I was going to upload it without his permission. I would NEVER do such a thing, it is illegal to pirate stuff from other people. Plus I said that I wouldn't upload it until I asked him anyway.

Last edited:
Back