New GPU, now I Get BSoD's in CM

epa

Angry Trainz Nerd
So I recently replaced my XFX RX480 with a PNY GeForce GTX 1070 XLR8 8GB. Everything was working fine until today. I had installed some new content in T:ANE and was committing a large amount of dependencies that were overwritten. Almost immediately after clicking the "Submit" button, I got a bluescreen error for "WORKER_INVALID". After a restart and database rebuild, I reloaded CM, reinstalled the content, and committed again. Once again, I got a bluescreen, this time reading "INVALID_WORK_QUEUE_ITEM". The new GPU is the only hardware change my system has gone through since Christmas of last year. I made double sure that the old AMD drivers were uninstalled and the proper NVidia drivers were installed and up-to-date, but the problem persists.

My specs are listed below...

Windows 10 Home x64
AMD FX4300 Quad Core 3.8 GHz
PNY GeForce GTX 1070 XLR8 8GB
8GB DDR3 RAM (no brand)
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 MoBo
275 GB Crucial SSD
1 TB Toshiba 7.2K HDD
EVGA 600W PSU

I know my current hardware configuration is incredibly unbalanced, but I can't imagine that would be the problem. Any ideas as to what could be the problem?

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Both of these message are documented.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0xe4--worker-invalid
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ugger/bug-check-0x96--invalid-work-queue-item

They both seem to be associated with drivers. Perhaps an earlier version of your video card driver will be more compatible with your system.

Actually, I've found that submitting assets one at a time doesn't throw an error. I'm a bit weary to try submitting multiple assets again, though...

Matt

TANE uses all cpus during database operations, you may wanna restrict the affinity to 3/4 cpus for tane. (use bills process manager, http://www.bill2-software.com/processmanager/download-en.shtml )

Most likely this is caused by the cpu using all cores along with the hard drive being accessed at 300mb/sec.
Huge draw on system resources at that moment,
The crash follows the profile of a underpowered motherboard. (do you have the additional motherboard power connector?)
Your 600 watt power supply needs to be upgraded for that cpu clock, gpu family, and hard drive combination. The sum of those cause huge power draws in the domain of less than a microsecond. (actually today is nanosecond)

Instantaneous power draw (peak) is why, and is usually MUCH higher than the systems power supply rating. And something most people neglect to consider when doing builds.
Ideally you want a power supply that can handle peaks of almost DOUBLE what your high-average system power requirements would be.
So if your system can BOOT using 500-600 watts, great.. now double that to get what you need for peak power pull.

The SSD alone will cause the motherboard to pull wayyy more power than with a non ssd drive.

This is new to our systems because we have never had affordable drives that could sustain 800 megabyte/sec reads, and 400meg/sec writes.
Just the other day I was doing some data operations and I managed to push over 1.5gig/sec peak on a transfer between two SSD's. One of my cpu cores was pegged for that, ..
Never before the past oh, 2 years has this been possible for the average user.

Power requirement dynamics with todays ssd's is different, the ssd's use less power, but the rate at which they can throw data at the motherboard is so fast that now the motherboard uses much more power during data reads and writes and operations.

You could take a picture of the inside of the pc. Techs will immediately notice things like, did you miss the extra motherboard power cable?, or one of the pci-e power plugs.

Also try reseating the vid card and verify power connectors fully plugged system wide.

As computers become faster, and the base technology stays as it is now, based on literal electron traffic jams,.....well, as the clock rates get even higher, the INSTANTANEOUS, or impulse demand becomes EXPONENTIALLY higher, not linear.
Yer damn electrons are tunneling.. with this kludge we call a transistor.

Last edited:
Back