Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many locomotives are out there with the startup and shutdown script?

That is great! I am glad someone else thought of this and actually made some locos with it in them.
    Last edited by MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS; October 2nd, 2017 at 07:44 AM.
    I love switching, long consists and mainline runs! Any takers on making a better UP Big Boy for all of us?

For anyone that doesn't know. The RBMN locos from JR do have a already started toggle button in Surveyor which makes it really nice for when you just want to get started running them but they don't take very long to start. By the way, this is set to yes (which is already running) by default. The only thing I do not like about them is you can still move them even without the engine started. Remember, to start them you DO NOT use the start/stop command. You have to open up the loco's UI instead. I thought it was rather odd you could move the loco's without them started though. The 2 SD45s in TRS2006 would not allow you to move them if they were shutdown. That even included when one loco was off in an MU though which is a little annoying. The throttle would constantly be set to 0 when you would try to move them by the way. However, you still could slowly move them even if they were off.
    Last edited by MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS; October 7th, 2017 at 10:32 PM.

Is it possible for someone to create a script or similar functionality that we can simply add to existing locos in order to introduce the possibility of switching them 'on' or 'off'? At the moment, it's absolutely deafening to have a group of locos in a depot!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paulsw2 View Post
    Is it possible for someone to create a script or similar functionality that we can simply add to existing locos in order to introduce the possibility of switching them 'on' or 'off'? At the moment, it's absolutely deafening to have a group of locos in a depot!

Paul
    I can vouch for that! It is SO LOUD having even 10 locos in one depot. Having a large number of locos in a engine depot or roundhouse is honestly a bad idea unless you can shut all them down.
    Last edited by MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS; October 9th, 2017 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS View Post
    I can vouch for that! It is SO LOUD having even 10 locos in one depot. Having a large number of locos in a engine depot or roundhouse is honestly a bad idea unless you can shut all them down.
    Just one more reason I usually keep the sound muted when running T:ANE. It's a shame, really...
    Joel

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VIA6415 View Post
    may be in the next Trainz they can add Train stop and start as a option for users who want a more real look into railroading and have it set up so all trains would use it regardless of the content installed.
    dose anyone one listen
    D

Join The Facebook Page @: https://www.facebook.com/groups/novascotiatrainz/

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Something I learned back in 1968 on a tour of a B&O yard, the B&O would start a Diesel and let it run for a mouth before shutting it down. Fuel was $0.02 a gallon. Also standing 3 feet from a running F7 was very loud.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepass View Post
    Something I learned back in 1968 on a tour of a B&O yard, the B&O would start a Diesel and let it run for a mouth before shutting it down. Fuel was $0.02 a gallon. Also standing 3 feet from a running F7 was very loud.
    That was especially true in the days when shutting the diesel down may mean that you spend the next week trying to get it started again! It was cheaper to let 'em run rather than trying to restart them, especially if there was a chance you might need them in a hurry...
    Joel

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Modern diesel have an igniter, it acts like a glow plug and makes start up a lot faster.

For anyone that doesn't know. The RBMN locos from JR do have a already started toggle button in Surveyor which makes it really nice for when you just want to get started running them but they don't take very long to start. By the way, this is set to yes (which is already running) by default. The only thing I do not like about them is you can still move them even without the engine started.
    It should not be possible to move them when they are shut down, you might have had an out of date component.

The 2 SD45s in TRS2006 would not allow you to move them if they were shutdown. That even included when one loco was off in an MU though which is a little annoying. The throttle would constantly be set to 0 when you would try to move them by the way. However, you still could slowly move them even if they were off.
    They were SD70s and your statement is contradictory. You said you cant move them but can still move them.

I developed an intricate system for start/stop that was for a proof of concept. I never cared for the way it worked with regards to sounds since they required a special sound set and the way the doppler works in trainz made this impractical to use just for the effect of start/stop. This system also includes an isolation switch that allows a locomotive to be brought on or offline in a consist without shutting it down. You could find this system on some of the GP7/9 releases but honestly it never developed very far because of the issues it caused. I refused to make it part of the standard set of effects in a JR locomotive but anything using the TFX script can be made to use it. I too would rather a well implemented native solution (here is hoping).

All of JR locomotives do have sand and fuel consumption and have for many years now.

Quote Originally Posted by norfolksouthern37 View Post
    It should not be possible to move them when they are shut down, you might have had an out of date component.

They were SD70s and your statement is contradictory. You said you cant move them but can still move them.

I developed an intricate system for start/stop that was for a proof of concept. I never cared for the way it worked with regards to sounds since they required a special sound set and the way the doppler works in trainz made this impractical to use just for the effect of start/stop. This system also includes an isolation switch that allows a locomotive to be brought on or offline in a consist without shutting it down. You could find this system on some of the GP7/9 releases but honestly it never developed very far because of the issues it caused. I refused to make it part of the standard set of effects in a JR locomotive but anything using the TFX script can be made to use it. I too would rather a well implemented native solution (here is hoping).

All of JR locomotives do have sand and fuel consumption and have for many years now.
    Oh, they were SD70s? I didn't remember because that was 4 to 5 years ago. The SD70s had a startup and shutdown script that used the driver command "startup and shutdown all locomotives" which is still in the game today. However, it cannot be used for anything because no locomotives use the old startup and shutdown script via the command. The SD70s that did use this could be moved through repeatedly clicking the DCC throttle forward or backwards when the loco was shutdown. The reason you have to keep clicking is because the throttle is contantly set to 0 while the loco is shutdown.
    Last edited by MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS; October 12th, 2017 at 12:24 PM.

Wink

It seems it is very hard to find any locos with the startup and shutdown scripts. Does anyone know of any other locos that have the startup and shutdown script? I think this should be added to a lot more locos because it makes the game that much more realistic being able to startup and shutdown your locomotives.
    How to start VL10 in TS2012

This tutorial shows how to start the Russian electric locomotive "VL10" in TS2012; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCzA-STCHU (just shows ya what can be done, and yeah, I know it's an Electric loco). Quite an involved sequence...

Cheers, Mac...
    Last edited by meatloaf747; October 12th, 2017 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meatloaf747 View Post
    How to start VL10 in TS2012

This tutorial shows how to start the Russian electric locomotive "VL10" in TS2012; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcCzA-STCHU (just shows ya what can be done, and yeah, I know it's an Electric loco). Quite an involved sequence...

Cheers, Mac...
    How did you move around the cab? I know some of the locomotives I have gotten have a cab you can move around in but I don't know how. Is it with the WASD keys or with the mouse or something else?

That was neat by the way.

Blog Entries

Would like any steam locomotive start-up/shutdown for firebox(engine) and smoke off and on?

I can't for the life of me understand why this was never introduced in the first ever trainz,Now heading to a decade it still hasn't been programmed to shut down a engine.
    We can open doors,windows and switch lights on etc. but still have that noise from all the engines POUNDING away in the background.

Come on if others have made trains/engines with the on/off switch why can't you...Lets get with the times N3V...this has gone on way to long
    Last edited by BRClass66; October 13th, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
    Intel i7-4790k 4.00GHZ,Water Cooled, Ram:32gb GeForce GTX 980 4GB
    HDD's 500GB SSD ,2TB Internal ,3TB External