How many locomotives are out there with the startup and shutdown script?

may be in the next Trainz they can add Train stop and start as a option for users who want a more real look into railroading and have it set up so all trains would use it regardless of the content installed.
Are you suggesting this should be built-in to Trainz itself rather than being a feature of each engine? But then again, isn't that what Cab mode is for? This could be made as cumbersome as desired, forcing the crew to show up hours before departure to prep and get everything ready. Or just pretend that someone else has done it all and just hop in and go.

Are you suggesting this should be built-in to Trainz itself rather than being a feature of each engine? But then again, isn't that what Cab mode is for? This could be made as cumbersome as desired, forcing the crew to show up hours before departure to prep and get everything ready. Or just pretend that someone else has done it all and just hop in and go.

Well, my idea is to just have a 10 second to 5 min startup sequence. This would depend on the type oc loco of course. Steam would take much longer than diesels to start. This is kind of like an accelerated startup sequence so it doesn't take hours to start any loco but it would still feel realistic because it would take a while to start a steam locomotive. However, there would also be, in the loco's UI in Surveyer, a "already started" box you could check so you don't have to start the loco if you don't want to. By the way, the SD45s in TRS2006 only took around 10 seconds to start at any time.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the WOT locos' that used to work in 2012, just has a script error for TANE that i can't fix. Such a pity really as those models were ahead of their time.

The JR RBMN loco pack has a SW1500, SD40-2, and SD50 that have startup-shutdown sequences. That one is freeware if i remember correctly.

For clarification:

The loco is in shutdown phase when started up in Driver mode, so:
1. Press ctrl+right mouse button.
2. Choose "view details"
3. Mark "Starta motorn"

In newer versions I use Control key for this functionality....

Engine_Power_On_Off.jpg

For anyone that doesn't know. The RBMN locos from JR do have a already started toggle button in Surveyor which makes it really nice for when you just want to get started running them but they don't take very long to start. By the way, this is set to yes (which is already running) by default. The only thing I do not like about them is you can still move them even without the engine started. Remember, to start them you DO NOT use the start/stop command. You have to open up the loco's UI instead. I thought it was rather odd you could move the loco's without them started though. The 2 SD45s in TRS2006 would not allow you to move them if they were shutdown. That even included when one loco was off in an MU though which is a little annoying. The throttle would constantly be set to 0 when you would try to move them by the way. However, you still could slowly move them even if they were off.

Last edited:
Is it possible for someone to create a script or similar functionality that we can simply add to existing locos in order to introduce the possibility of switching them 'on' or 'off'? At the moment, it's absolutely deafening to have a group of locos in a depot!

Paul

Is it possible for someone to create a script or similar functionality that we can simply add to existing locos in order to introduce the possibility of switching them 'on' or 'off'? At the moment, it's absolutely deafening to have a group of locos in a depot!

Paul

I can vouch for that! It is SO LOUD having even 10 locos in one depot. Having a large number of locos in a engine depot or roundhouse is honestly a bad idea unless you can shut all them down.

Last edited:
I can vouch for that! It is SO LOUD having even 10 locos in one depot. Having a large number of locos in a engine depot or roundhouse is honestly a bad idea unless you can shut all them down.
Just one more reason I usually keep the sound muted when running T:ANE. It's a shame, really...

may be in the next Trainz they can add Train stop and start as a option for users who want a more real look into railroading and have it set up so all trains would use it regardless of the content installed.

dose anyone one listen
D

Something I learned back in 1968 on a tour of a B&O yard, the B&O would start a Diesel and let it run for a mouth before shutting it down. Fuel was $0.02 a gallon. Also standing 3 feet from a running F7 was very loud.

Something I learned back in 1968 on a tour of a B&O yard, the B&O would start a Diesel and let it run for a mouth before shutting it down. Fuel was $0.02 a gallon. Also standing 3 feet from a running F7 was very loud.
That was especially true in the days when shutting the diesel down may mean that you spend the next week trying to get it started again! It was cheaper to let 'em run rather than trying to restart them, especially if there was a chance you might need them in a hurry...

For anyone that doesn't know. The RBMN locos from JR do have a already started toggle button in Surveyor which makes it really nice for when you just want to get started running them but they don't take very long to start. By the way, this is set to yes (which is already running) by default. The only thing I do not like about them is you can still move them even without the engine started.

It should not be possible to move them when they are shut down, you might have had an out of date component.

The 2 SD45s in TRS2006 would not allow you to move them if they were shutdown. That even included when one loco was off in an MU though which is a little annoying. The throttle would constantly be set to 0 when you would try to move them by the way. However, you still could slowly move them even if they were off.

They were SD70s and your statement is contradictory. You said you cant move them but can still move them.

I developed an intricate system for start/stop that was for a proof of concept. I never cared for the way it worked with regards to sounds since they required a special sound set and the way the doppler works in trainz made this impractical to use just for the effect of start/stop. This system also includes an isolation switch that allows a locomotive to be brought on or offline in a consist without shutting it down. You could find this system on some of the GP7/9 releases but honestly it never developed very far because of the issues it caused. I refused to make it part of the standard set of effects in a JR locomotive but anything using the TFX script can be made to use it. I too would rather a well implemented native solution (here is hoping).

All of JR locomotives do have sand and fuel consumption and have for many years now.

Back