How many locomotives are out there with the startup and shutdown script?

MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS

7 Year Trainz Vet
It seems it is very hard to find any locos with the startup and shutdown scripts. I know Jointed Rail's RBMN diesels have the script but that is the only one I have seen with it since those 2 SD45s (I think they are SD45s) from Tidewater in TRS2006. Does anyone know of any other locos that have the startup and shutdown script? I think this should be added to a lot more locos because it makes the game that much more realistic being able to startup and shutdown your locomotives.

Only one who made any was form WOT but they been closed almost 3 years now, I put out fuel burning my self but that's as close as you get.

YEAH!!! There's a RULE for it, but I've yet to see a loco in my vast collection actually startup/shutdown? :confused: Now THIS is a question... !

There was a discussion on this point some years ago. No-one could agree on what was actually involved in the "start up" or "shut down" sequence. For example, does anyone really want to wait the hours (and there was some argument over how many hours) you would need to fire up a steam loco from a cold start. Likewise, did the startup for a diesel involve making all the necessary system and safety checks?

The vast majority of users simply wanted to get into the loco and drive it.

Well, SpainTrainzRutas has some good spanish locomotives with the start/shutdown function (Specially the 308, 321 and the Talgo IV generators)

There was a discussion on this point some years ago. No-one could agree on what was actually involved in the "start up" or "shut down" sequence. For example, does anyone really want to wait the hours (and there was some argument over how many hours) you would need to fire up a steam loco from a cold start. Likewise, did the startup for a diesel involve making all the necessary system and safety checks?

Well, if you have a session with stationed locomotives, it has no sense that the locomotives have the engines running for hours (specially if they consume fuel and you are playing on a big route)

Last edited:
That's where Train Sim World is realistic in the startup/shutdown operation of locomotives.
Will be interesting to see how it would be with steam engines if and when they do them.

My Green Goat locos have a startup function, press the B key to start or stop. On start, the Engineer gets in the cab and the engine winds up.

I use this system on all my startup aircraft. I have an AI rule, Aircraft Engine Start Command, kuid2:60238:80004:1 to start or stop the locos or aircraft.

greengoat400.jpg

Ian

The diesels from TRS2006 are that Conrail SD45 and the Illinois Central SD45. They had a very short startup sequence that still felt realistic to me. For diesels, the startup sequence could take 30 sec to 1 min to finish. Steam is different considering you have to build up pressure to move in the first place. I think, since people will want to drive the loco, that the sequence should only be 1-5 min long. Another option could be, in Surveyor, to have a box you can check that says "Already Started". This is for anyone who doesn't want to start the loco after going into Driver.

Model train companies do the same thing. They actually make 2 startup options, one that is quick and takes like 30 sec and another that is slow and takes up to 5 min. The longer one is called the extended startup.

Last edited:
Well, if you have a session with stationed locomotives, it has no sense that the locomotives have the engines running for hours (specially if they consume fuel and you are playing on a big route)

Yes it doesn't make any sense. I like to spot locos in engine sheds, roundhouses, yards, etc but I will probably use them again in an hour or 2. (Not the same as parking to me. Parking to me is putting a loco somewhere, shutting it down and leaving it there for a day or more.)

Another option could be, in Surveyor, to have a box you can check that says "Already Started". This is for anyone who doesn't want to start the loco after going into Driver.

Now that is the sensible solution, provide the end user with the choice. The "rivet-counters" can go through all the motions and get all the "realism" they like while the "gamers" can just play trains.

Now that is the sensible solution, provide the end user with the choice. The "rivet-counters" can go through all the motions and get all the "realism" they like while the "gamers" can just play trains.
Yes, that is a great idea that should go on the future wishlist, I would think!

may be in the next Trainz they can add Train stop and start as a option for users who want a more real look into railroading and have it set up so all trains would use it regardless of the content installed.

Another great topic is fuel. Fuel is something I am not finding in almost all diesels. This irritates me too because there is no fuel "load" or sand in most locos making it very easy to run a train forever. Diesels that have fuel and the startup and shutdown script actually shutdown when out of fuel. THAT IS AWESOME! That is how it should be. Even MSTS had fuel and sand in every loco and you had to refuel. I do not understand why most diesels do not have fuel or sand products in them. Steam locos usually have coal and water loads in them. However, not all of them do. One example is K&L Trainz A5 steam switcher. The tender does not have a coal or water load in it. If I remember right, Prowler901's locos actually have sand, water and coal.

The NARM (North American Rail Manufacturing) website has some Freeware locos that are started and shutdown using the actual switches and controls in the cab. By default, they are shutdown and you have to start them every time you use them. If you normally run in "easy" mode, you'll have to switch over to "realistic" mode to start them and then switch back to "easy" mode. The GP38's are especially nice and have this feature.

All my models burn fuel and I took care of that problem after asking too many times how to make a scrip for fueling locos and just got fade up with the null replays, now we have fuel burning for anyone to use you can download off DLS.

Last edited:
The NARM (North American Rail Manufacturing) website has some Freeware locos that are started and shutdown using the actual switches and controls in the cab. By default, they are shutdown and you have to start them every time you use them. If you normally run in "easy" mode, you'll have to switch over to "realistic" mode to start them and then switch back to "easy" mode. The GP38's are especially nice and have this feature.

I don't think the NARM exists anymore. Every time I click on the like it just stops loading the website.

There are some payware Geeps by Wearsprada that can be started and shut down. Keep in mind that some have this feature while newer ones do not.

Back