Andi Smith RIP a Sad Loss

parryjc

I have just read that Andi Smith (AJS, Andi06) is sadly no longer with us and that most likely his great site will close down at next renewal.

Edited by author..
Our moderator Oknotsen has penned the following
For those interested, the topic about Andi's passing can be found here:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...n-about-Andi06
Please pay your respects there.

Edit:
To clarify a misunderstanding: Of course pay your respects everywhere you like but those that just learned about his passing might want to read the initial announcement found in the topic I just referred to.
Those he has left behind might be more likely to read (as in "keep a link to") that topic and so (still) get your message.

Thanks Knotty for that link. JP.

(continuation of original post)
Not only was Andi06 a great contributor with a vast array of fine models (mostly listed under AJS), to his name, but an inventor too, who showering us with gifts of all sorts. Carriage Couplings, working traffic lights, and much much more besides. He engineered so many animated bits and pieces for our Trainz and Road traffic models that it's difficult to find a model today which does not use Andi's scripts or codes.

I like many others have a lot of his work and I would hate to lose it, or the functionality of those scripts and codes which animate the models and are in my opinion, irreplaceable, or have them rendered obsolete by changes in trainz builds.

Already we have the situation, in Tane where his contributions are included as built in but marked obsolete.
For an example his Daimler Bus, with working headlights wipers and steering. The scripts for these is, for the moment functioning fine, but scripts for the Route destination & number blinds, advertisements, operators name and insignia are faulty in part.

I think it would be a great disservice bordering on the disrespective, to allow Andi's work to pass into obscurity because of future trainz improvements in build, and or policy.
But of course there are necessary, and desirable safeguards on contributors works, but some of And's now need updating or modifying or will eventually be lost.
To make the required changes would be charitable work and is beyond my knowledge, but would it be contravening those safeguards if someone where to update these assets of Andi's which obviously would be made without the original authors permissions?

I just think it would be very sad to loose the AJS models.

My most grateful thanks Andi, you brought much pleasure to the whole of the trainz community.

Last edited:
From what I gathered, Andi's family has got control on the models/assets side so they can decide on what's happening on that front (although there is some scope for updating if the assets are faulty). I do know the utlity that he and PEV worked on (AssetX) is safe though as I'm now hosting that alongside PEV's other tools (with permission).

Shane

The CRG will repair any content on the DLS if applicable and possible. It just requires time as the group consists of only volunteers.

So sad to read of his passing, as a great supporter and contributor to Trainz he will be missed. RIP

As Shane mentioned it is up to his family to decide what happens next. Let us support them no matter what they decide.

Shane if what you say is correct then that's a very good thing. Perhaps I worry about nothing, I sincerely hope so.

We must keep faith and trust with the family, and wait and see what happens to Andi's great site.
In the mean time I can only suggest fellow trainz members go look at Andi's material and down load ASAP their selection.

Shane, as Tutorial Creator, would you have copies of Andi's tutorials?
As a thought, I can remember as a new member looking for hours for tutorials now I'm a little further down the track, but still need loads of help and advice when it comes to new things.
SO, would you consider it a good idea to get tutorials set up as complete and separate heading on the top of this page? Alongside of the headings New Posts, Private Msgs, FAQs, etc.........

I would be happy to contribute my (limited) knowledge to such a place.
Regards
John P.

Shane if what you say is correct then that's a very good thing. Perhaps I worry about nothing, I sincerely hope so.

We must keep faith and trust with the family, and wait and see what happens to Andi's great site.
In the mean time I can only suggest fellow trainz members go look at Andi's material and down load ASAP their selection.

Shane, as Tutorial Creator, would you have copies of Andi's tutorials?
As a thought, I can remember as a new member looking for hours for tutorials now I'm a little further down the track, but still need loads of help and advice when it comes to new things.
SO, would you consider it a good idea to get tutorials set up as complete and separate heading on the top of this page? Alongside of the headings New Posts, Private Msgs, FAQs, etc.........

I would be happy to contribute my (limited) knowledge to such a place.
Regards
John P.

I'm not sure on the tutorials side as I believe that may also be something to do with his family (and I haven't heard of being able to host them yet). The only thing I'm hosting at the moment is Asset-X.

Shane

So sad to read of his passing, as a great supporter and contributor to Trainz he will be missed. RIP

As Shane mentioned it is up to his family to decide what happens next. Let us support them no matter what they decide.

Absolutely and spot on, martin

I'm not sure on the tutorials side as I believe that may also be something to do with his family (and I haven't heard of being able to host them yet). The only thing I'm hosting at the moment is Asset-X.

Shane

Not suggesting you host just asking what you thought of the gen idea thatanybody, particularly a new member may find it useful to have a place, a first call of port easily identifiable for "instructions" on "How to do *****". Set up as a section of its own on the Tranz Discussion platform.

May be a new thread on the subject is called for.......

John P.

For those interested, the topic about Andi's passing can be found here:
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?134957-Information-about-Andi06
Please pay your respects there.

Edit:
To clarify a misunderstanding: Of course pay your respects everywhere you like but those that just learned about his passing might want to read the initial announcement found in the topic I just referred to.
Those he has left behind might be more likely to read (as in "keep a link to") that topic and so (still) get your message.
I apologize if this came across wrong. Maybe I should have added this explanation when I initially made this post.

Last edited:
Not suggesting you host just asking what you thought of the gen idea thatanybody, particularly a new member may find it useful to have a place, a first call of port easily identifiable for "instructions" on "How to do *****". Set up as a section of its own on the Tranz Discussion platform.

May be a new thread on the subject is called for.......

John P.

Makes sense although that would need to be suggested to N3V if it relates to this forum.

Shane

"AJS" scripted items are in daily use by most of us, I'm sure!
Forever grateful to Andi Smith for his work, I hope his family are aware of the tremendous contribution he made in moving our Trainz hobby forwards and that we are grateful for his efforts.

I am grateful too. I didn't know him but I think I might have used some of his AJS models in the past and I hope his family decides on what to do with all his models.

Sad news indeed, but we are confused because the date of posts from the above link start from November 20th 2016.

Correct Andi sadly passed on in November 2016, some have apparently only just found out due to a question raised about his assets in another thread.
Might be an idea for the mods to merge this thread with the original one to save any more confusion?

Back