Should my friend wait for the next Trainz Simulator or buy T:ANE?

penguin_k

Trainz driver
Hi there, my friend has a very old version of Trainz (TS2006 to be precise) and is thinking of upgrading to a newer version. He is very tempted to buy T:ANE because it is on offer at the moment, but I know that there is a new version coming out soon (see the development diary). Should he buy T:ANE now or wait for the next version?

He will want to do both driving and building by the way.

First off, if the machine is lo speced, then the answer is simply. Tane or the next version can't run on lo speced machines very well. But, if the specs are high, then i'd say go for Trainz: A new Era. It's stable enough at this point.

Get TANE now! If your friends computer meets above the minimum requirements, I highly recommend it. TANE is the basis of all new development in Trainz and can be had very cheaply at the moment. I would also get the Deluxe version as it includes 4 more really good routes and TUME's HD texture set, a must for route builders. Instant-gaming has a mega pack on special this weekend with deluxe routes and extra DLC cheaper than Trainz Store
cheers
Graeme

Get TANE now! If your friends computer meets above the minimum requirements, I highly recommend it. TANE is the basis of all new development in Trainz and can be had very cheaply at the moment. I would also get the Deluxe version as it includes 4 more really good routes and TUME's HD texture set, a must for route builders. Instant-gaming has a mega pack on special this weekend with deluxe routes and extra DLC cheaper than Trainz Store
cheers
Graeme

Thank you, just a few quick questions:

- His PC has a RAM of 4GB. Will this be enough to run TANE well?
- What is TUME's HD texture set? Can you get it for free if you get TANE standard?

There is/was a 70% discount on TANE this weekend. For that price I would not bother waiting till the next game has had a SP.

Thank you, just a few quick questions:

- His PC has a RAM of 4GB. Will this be enough to run TANE well?
- What is TUME's HD texture set? Can you get it for free if you get TANE standard?
1. There is a lot more than ram involved in minimum spec. I'd suggest going to the Trainz Store and checking yourself.
2. TUME is the author of these HD textures and his routes, Season Town and Milwaukee Road are only in deluxe and these textures were created for those routes.
cheers

One important thing with both T:ANE and probably the next version (which I haven't seen mentioned) is that the graphics card itself must support at least DirectX 11 (regardless of what Directx version is installed on the system). This is also on the minimum requirements as well.

Shane

The dxdiag tool. It brings up something like this:

064b29842abd48cb224a8413ec07ab35.png

If it doesn't support DX11 or higher it will not run beyond the Launcher screen (apart from possibly Content Manager) so it's important to check before any purchases are made.

Shane

What would happen if it didn't support DX11? Would the game work at all or would it just be laggy?

Won't work, other than maybe as Shane says maybe you can run the content manager.
Also worth pointing out, needs to be a 64bit operating system, TANE is a 64 bit program.

What you are looking for in DXDiag I've indicated in the screenshot whatever the highest DX that the card supports will be indicated there and needs to be at least 11.

With 4GB Ram, your friend is not going to have a pleasurable experience with TANE or any other train simulator, I'm afraid, regardless of the other system specs. If the rest of the system conforms, I'd strongly recommend a RAM upgrade to at least 8 GB.

With 4GB Ram, your friend is not going to have a pleasurable experience with TANE or any other train simulator, I'm afraid, regardless of the other system specs. If the rest of the system conforms, I'd strongly recommend a RAM upgrade to at least 8 GB.

Try to relate by using microsofts tools..

The graphic card rating in the Windows Experience Index will tell you something.
This menu is a bit easier to use and read.

With TANE all system specs matter, CPU is heavily used during database operations and game play.
The ram is used during gameplay and eaisly eats 5 gig.

The hard drive is used heavily if you have many items from the DLS.

TANE does have sliders for all visual aspects of the game, you can turn off 3d sound, and delete things from the database.

With efford tane could run on limited systems, but don't expect much.
Loading things in the test track and on routes that are sparse might be usable...
One can always make 3d objects and upload to the dls even if they can't run the full coal country at full detail and distance settings...

5Ynba2c.jpg

What are the Specifications for Trainz A New Era
Posted by N3V Games (Paul) on 24 July 2015 11:46 AM
The following specifications show the minimum requirement in order to run Trainz: A New Era.
To find out your system specifications, please read this article.
PC
Minimum:

• CPU: Intel i-series, AMD K10 or higher with at least 2Ghz Dual Core
  • GPU: NVidia GT 430 or ATI 5550 or better, at least 1GB dedicated VRAM supporting DirectX 11
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Hard Drive: 30GB free space
  • Soundcard: DirectX-compatible
  • Internet connection required
Recommended:

• CPU: Intel i5 3330, AMD FX 8350, QuadCore 2,3 Ghz or better
  • GPU: NVidia GTX 660 or AMD HD 6950 or better, at least 2GB dedicated VRAM supporting DirectX11
  • Memory: 8GB
  • Soundcard: DirectX-compatible
MAC
Minimum:

• CPU: Intel i5 2Ghz
  • GPU: Intel Iris or better with 1GB VRAM supporting OpenGL 3.3
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Hard Drive: 30GB Free Space
Recommended:

• CPU: Intel i5 2.3Ghz
  • GPU: Dedicated Graphics card with 1GB VRAM supporting OpenGL 3.3
  • Memory: 8GB

Finding your System Specifications
Posted by N3V Games (Paul) on 24 July 2015 11:46 AM
PC Users
To find out your system specification, you need to run a program called dxdiag

• Click on the Windows Start Menu, type in dxdiag and click on dxdiag under the Programs heading.
  • The diagnostic tool appears in a new window and may take a minute or so to run the diagnostic tests.
  • The System Tab shows your Operating System, Processor (CPU), and whether DX11 is installed.
  • Next, click on the Display Tab to find your Graphics Card
PLEASE NOTE: It is possible to have DX11 installed, but not have a graphics card that supports DX11 features.
+

I'd buy Trainz: A New Era, no matter what pc i had.... and if it didn't work, id figure out, or upgrade, or get what i needed to get it working, even if its not the best pc...

What will happen, is you will get addicted, and somehow figure out a way to afford the gtx1080. And it will be worth it.

Last edited:
Back