Article: Trainz Dev Diary - Detail Map Ground Textures (sneak peek)

Hi,

I saw the video, and it's very cool -- I can do wonders for my Marsz layout with textures with such effects! :p

Ish

All these new things seem real cool! (While I'd think so) I'm just concerned -given the technology involved- if I'd be able to convert my route over from TaNE [like I was able to do with TS12] with "TRS2018" when it's made available!? :confused:

Last edited:
All these new things seem real cool! (While I'd think so) I'm just concerned -given the technology involved- if I'd be able to convert my route over from TaNE [like I was able to do with TS12] with "TRS2018" when it's made available!? :confused:

I would expect so. It suggests we can make new ground textures and just overpaint any existing ground textures. Obviously, there will be a lag until creators make something with this new technology. Hopefully, those who have made recent ground textures will be able to update or produce a new asset from existing textures.

What isn't clear yet is how much computing horsepower is needed to drive this. Once the TrainzDev members get their hands on it then maybe we will know.

I'm guessing that the new ground textures may not be too onerous but the PBR stuff may be different.

... What isn't clear yet is how much computing horsepower is needed to drive this. Once the TrainzDev members get their hands on it then maybe we will know.

I'm guessing that the new ground textures may not be too onerous but the PBR stuff may be different.
Yeah, the PBR stuff should definitely require a good video card, if not a great one! :) What I do know is my current HP computer will not be able to run such advancements as these; at the modest settings I run TaNE. My computer is approaching that six year mark. "TRS2018" will likely come about just before I'd buy a new computer anyway. N3V Games knows many of us will be "up in arms" if we can't convert our routes over -so I should be ok (as you said); as well as from the technology side of the equation. But my bank account... well! :hehe:

Hope this is seen one way or another, but will this be available to splines as well?

Most practical usage as such would be in track ballast splines as part of procedural track assets. It is painfully obvious when the track ballast texture begins repeating, so a detail map overlaid at a larger surface area would help tremendously with that.

A long-needed advance to overcome the tiled look. Is it intended that we can have both micro/macro detail and PBR effects in the one texture?
Correct you can use macro (probably not micro on ground textures but it can be done) and parallax effects in the one "asset"... requires a couple of textures.
More information will be released on the Trainz wiki about this but there is a little bit up there already.
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/KIND_Groundtexture
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Material_Types
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/M.pbrmetal

I would expect so. It suggests we can make new ground textures and just overpaint any existing ground textures.
You can use the existing asset and create a newer version with a height map and update it to PBR or;
You can use the bulk replace tool to replace one or more ground textures with another or;
... of course manually replace them.

Back