Why Are Some Of My Locomotives I Downloaded From DLS Un-operational??

I downloaded a bunch of diesel units from DLS from my Trainz 2 (2014 version), added them to my layout in Surveyor ( that I'm still building) , saved the route, went to Driver and they just idle in the yard - I can't drive them. I clicked multiple times and I couldn't drive them. I am able to drive some of the units I got from Payware and some of the units that came with Trainz 2, but the ones I downloaded from DSL cannot be driven on that specific layout. I made a new layout to test the newly downloaded units from DLS and they, along with built in one's work perfectly. Only in parts of the rail yard is where some of them cannot be driven unless they're part of a consist. It's weird. Do I have to program them manually? Or maybe the computer is overloading? I don't here any sound when I work on that one layout in Surveyor - yet I hear sound perfectly when I make a new layout? Could it be possible that some of the Downloads I got from DLS contain Malware? If so, how do I delete those Assets from my system. I don't want to redo the railyard because of the all the planning and things. I'm new to all of this. Just bought Trainz 2 a few do some trouble shooting advice would be welcome. Thanks.

As Nux_Vomica has said, this sounds as though there are no drivers assigned to the locomotives.

You can do that by editing a session, and assigning the drivers to the consists, saving, then you should be able to run your trains.

As Nux_Vomica has said, this sounds as though there are no drivers assigned to the locomotives.

You can do that by editing a session, and assigning the drivers to the consists, saving, then you should be able to run your trains.

Ok thanks guys! I did that in my Driver session and it worked! But now I have another problem - in Surveyor. I can't move my camera or viewer to a "bird's eye view" (like we always see when we open Surveyor) above the yard and baseboard in order to lay tracks down. I had a bird's eye view earlier today, but after I set up some camera's around the yard, I then found out I could no longer go high up above the yard to see where I can lay tracks. I got rid of the cameras and still I can't go high up above my route in Surveyor. I'm afraid I can't lay track down if my viewer is on ground level. How do I get my camera angle to a bird's eye view again?? So now I need trouble shooting tips in this area. Like I said in my previous post, I'm new to this and I am trying to check out Trainz tutorials and topics on this forum. Day by day. Maybe I'll upload the layout once I get permission from the owners of the locos to use them. Or, the route will be just tracks and things but without the units- which will give you guys the opportunity to edit the route and choose your units and rolling stock. We'll see how it goes. I'm still at the starting stages in all of this.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what keys you would use on the Mac, but on the PC you can get your camera view into the vertical downward view by using the up arrow. You can also use the YAW-like mode. On the PC it's CTRL+right-mouse-button to lift the camera view vertically. In either case you can then raise it up into the sky using the scroll wheel.

The placed cameras have nothing to do with this. They are for viewing when the train passes by like following the train for example as it passes by a strategic location like coming out of a tunnel or in front of a station, for example.

While in Driver, you can press 1 to go in the cab, 2 and 3 for chase cameras, and 4 for free-roam, which will use the same keys as the camera does in Surveyor.

I'm glad I could help you with your drivers. There are a lot of things in Trainz, no matter what version, to learn and do. Your time in Surveyor in fact will keep you busy for quite some time in fact it's the best part, I think, of the Trainz software.

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure what keys you would use on the Mac, but on the PC you can get your camera view into the vertical downward view by using the up arrow. You can also use the YAW-like mode. On the PC it's CTRL+right-mouse-button to lift the camera view vertically. In either case you can then raise it up into the sky using the scroll wheel.

The placed cameras have nothing to do with this. They are for viewing when the train passes by like following the train for example as it passes by a strategic location like coming out of a tunnel or in front of a station, for example.

While in Driver, you can press 1 to go in the cab, 2 and 3 for chase cameras, and 4 for free-roam, which will use the same keys as the camera does in Surveyor.

I'm glad I could help you with your drivers. There are a lot of things in Trainz, no matter what version, to learn and do. Your time in Surveyor in fact will keep you busy for quite some time in fact it's the best part, I think, of the Trainz software.
I just tried the camera in Surveyor and I can't get a bird's eye view. All I get is ground view. The highest I can go is the Hump but I can't move vertically up - just horizontally across. Man this is frustrating. It may be my keyboard perhaps. I'll see what I can find. If you know of anything that I can do, or if there is anyone else who may know what the situation is, please let me know - ASAP. Thanks and peace.

Last edited:
Click on the ground.
Press the up arrow key. This will flip your view so that the camera faces downward. You can then use your mouse scroll-wheel to zoom in and out.

I tried it 2 times to make sure I didn't tell you something different. :)

The Shift-key will allow finer adjustments.

Back