Building A Continuous Grade: Tips On How To

Can anyone give me do's and don'ts for building a long, continuous grade on a route? I'll most likely have that as my next project once I'm done with this one.

Quite a few variables need to be answered first:

1. Is this in T:ANE?

2. Is this a DEM route, or are you building terrain up from scratch?

3. Are you building a prototypical route (physically existing somewhere) or is this freeform?

4. It sounds as if you're working in mountains, so is this narrow gauge or standard?

5. If narrow gauge, any turnouts (switches) you have to put in need to be on the same level plane or they might show red vertices meaning they are faulty and might not work correctly.

Bill

This is how I tackle grades, start with a section of track like this;

Grade Example 01.jpg

Then use the Insert Spline Point tool

Grade Example 02.jpg

Then for my example create a spline point every 8th square. Be consistent with the spacing of the points to create a smooth grade

Grade Example 03.jpg

Then use the Apply Vertex Height tool and for my example every spline point add 0.5 to each joint from one end to the other... 0.0, 0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, 2.5 ... etc

Grade Example 04.jpg

Then use the Smooth Spline Height tool and click on each section between the joints

Grade Example 05.jpg

You should end up with a smooth grade, 0.5 on each joint at 8 squares is just less than a 1.0 grade

Grade Example 06.jpg

You can then turn on the Gradients to see your grade

Grade Example 07.jpg

Last edited:
Quite a few variables need to be answered first:

1. Is this in T:ANE?

2. Is this a DEM route, or are you building terrain up from scratch?

3. Are you building a prototypical route (physically existing somewhere) or is this freeform?

4. It sounds as if you're working in mountains, so is this narrow gauge or standard?

5. If narrow gauge, any turnouts (switches) you have to put in need to be on the same level plane or they might show red vertices meaning they are faulty and might not work correctly.

Bill

This will most likely be in TS12 and the route will be built from scratch. The project will be a fictional route with standard gauge tracks.

Ah. In that case, Christopher's method will work just fine. His method also works for tracks that curve in and around hills. Keep the vertice segments short (around 80-100 meters) and run the tracks where you want them, raising vertices in increments as he says. The grade will be constant, or you can vary it a little to add variety. You can check the gradient in map mode. In TS12 the mini-map will rotate as you rotate the view in surveyor -- not so in T:ANE.

Bill

AMonster --

Dunno if it's any help, but I posted a series of screen shotz of a route with some complex grades. See Post #2593 onwards, here:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?109038-Model-Railroadz/page173

In essence:

• Lay the track on the flat.
  • Decide what heights are required at critical points - in this layout, where one track passes over another.
  • A combination of setting the critical heights and using the gradient tool.
  • Terra-forming, using both the terrain tools and the tool that makes the terrain correspond to the track height.
  • Then lots and lots of fiddling.

Phil

Also try the Get Gradient* and Set Gradient* options.

1. Lay out your long and winding route at baseboard level with spline points wherever necessary.
2. Set Gradient of each segment to, for example, 1%.
3. Smooth the splines.

If you started with a 1% grade and didn't achieve the total elevation you wanted, repeat step 2 with 1.2 (or whatever)%. Repeat step 3.

If you still haven't achieved the desired elevation, stretch out the total length of the route by dragging the spline points further apart and repeat steps 2 & 3.

*These are the second row of options in the Advanced dropdown.

Also try the Get Gradient* and Set Gradient* options.

1. Lay out your long and winding route at baseboard level with spline points wherever necessary.
2. Set Gradient of each segment to, for example, 1%.
3. Smooth the splines.

If you started with a 1% grade and didn't achieve the total elevation you wanted, repeat step 2 with 1.2 (or whatever)%. Repeat step 3.

If you still haven't achieved the desired elevation, stretch out the total length of the route by dragging the spline points further apart and repeat steps 2 & 3.

*These are the second row of options in the Advanced dropdown.

Okay I'll try this out.

Sorry to bump but this thread is gonna come in handy for my new fictional route. I'll need all the tips given here for optimal results.

Back