CCleanup: A Vast Number of Machines at Risk

I am not surprised. Besides, you can easily do the chores manually that the software was meant to do. It was meant to be a time saver, to me. Dodged that bullet. I am willing to bet as time progresses, more will be revealed in other software/freeware/shareware.

I have 5.29xxx installed.

I know it can be done manually, which I do for the temporary files, but other programs such as the browsers now bury their stuff deeper in the files structure, and when clicking on the clear caches and cookies it doesn't clear everything. Using CCleaner is a good way to pick up these extra pieces.

@pdkoester.

I agree there's lots of free utilities, and the sites that host them, that are often funnels and venues for unwanted Trojan Horses, spyware, and adware. This has been a problem for years. A few years ago, I used CD-Burner XP. It was a great CD-burning utility, which is great for burning CDs, creating ISOs and other stuff. It's a free utility and for years could be easily downloaded. Then one day I couldn't find my downloaded copy, and when I did the file it was corrupted so I downloaded a fresh copy. I went to the same website where I got the original and installed it.

The install went fine, the version was the same, except my system started running like garbage. I did a malware scan and sure enough the installer was compromised and installed an infected application. It took a few scans and utilities (not infected ones) to remove that infection caused by the utility.

Once that occurred, I uninstalled CD-Burner XP and deleted the download and have since used other applications which offer similar if not better features than that one did.

I have 5.29xxx installed.

I know it can be done manually, which I do for the temporary files, but other programs such as the browsers now bury their stuff deeper in the files structure, and when clicking on the clear caches and cookies it doesn't clear everything. Using CCleaner is a good way to pick up these extra pieces.

@pdkoester.

I agree there's lots of free utilities, and the sites that host them, that are often funnels and venues for unwanted Trojan Horses, spyware, and adware. This has been a problem for years. A few years ago, I used CD-Burner XP. It was a great CD-burning utility, which is great for burning CDs, creating ISOs and other stuff. It's a free utility and for years could be easily downloaded. Then one day I couldn't find my downloaded copy, and when I did the file it was corrupted so I downloaded a fresh copy. I went to the same website where I got the original and installed it.

The install went fine, the version was the same, except my system started running like garbage. I did a malware scan and sure enough the installer was compromised and installed an infected application. It took a few scans and utilities (not infected ones) to remove that infection caused by the utility.

Once that occurred, I uninstalled CD-Burner XP and deleted the download and have since used other applications which offer similar if not better features than that one did.

As for the CD-Burner XP, we have the corporate version on our corporate network. They usually do some very thorough testing before releasing newer ones to the wild. Even iOS 11 is slated to be out soon, but our InfoSec group put the brakes on it, before it breaks things and causes a flood of support tickets.

Hi Malc,
Thanks for the heads-up, sir!
Read this yesterday --- Been using cc since it's beginnings -- Since I don't upgrade its' version so often I never actually downloaded that version ... lucky me!

Take Care

Ish

Back