Cranes by Majekear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly which rule of the CoC is he in violation of? Potentially hurting someone's feelings?

Good point. Rules 13 and 16 come the closest

13. Submitting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, antagonistic or made simply with the intent to provoke disruption to the forum. "Trolling" and baiting will not be tolerated. Messages must show respect for other forum members taking into account that people of all ages and cultures participate on these forums. Trolling is deemed to include messages aimed to incite disruption or stir up trouble, without any attempt to contribute positive suggestions or comments.

He was not criticising (or insulting) the quality of Majekear's work, in fact he praised the quality of the work, but was critical of the number of new versions or updates that were being constantly uploaded. He was expressing an opinion, one that we did not have to agree with.

Personally, I would put his opinion down to ignorance of how assets are often developed - but that is just my opinion.

16. Submitting messages that personally attack, insult, threaten, criticise, harass or are clearly disrespectful of the opinions of other forum participants, moderators or staff. This means, if you are engaging in debates that involve discussing, questioning or disputing the opinions and views of others, you are required to do so in a civil manner and ensure that your messages are relevant and on-topic and not personal. This rule does not preclude messages that are critical or questioning in nature. It does, however, require that you avoid commenting on the person's character and carefully consider the tone in such messages to ensure that it is polite and respectful.

None of these points apply to the OP - in my opinion. He was making a point about the updating of assets, one that I believe was based on ignorance as I have indicated above. If we ban posts because they are based on incomplete information, mistaken beliefs, ignorance or just because we don't like them, then there will nothing to discuss in these forums.

So while we may not agree with the opinion of the poster, he has a right to express it in a polite and respectful manner.

Last edited:
Of course everyone has the right to express his opinion. That said, the OP could also have asked why there are so many updates before pointing the virtual accusing finger. What he is doing now shows little empathy (if any at all) of the work creators do. We have a saying here: 'The best Captains are always standing on land instead of sailing a ship'. He shows it quite clearly with this:

I'm about ready to stop wasting time and DLS bandwidth limits downloading your stuff because I know you'll post another version of it in a few days. Can't it be done right the first time?

Assuming is the mother of all F*** **S

Ron

A wise man told me once (more like over and over again) that to NOT go stepping in sh*t. The footnote to that was; that doing so, can only make things worse. So without my late father's blessing, may I say a few words.

PARAILFAN has a point. And yes, he could have just sent me a private email, but than he might not know that my email addy is to be found within just about any of my asset's config.txt file. Nevertheless, he elected to make this thread, which I am perfectly fine with. I am a big believer in freedom of speech.

PARAILFAN did praise my work, for which I am grateful to him. And then gave me a quick slap to the back of my head. My Dad could not have done it better. What he said is true and so I can truly appreciate his frustration with my all too numerous updates. And this has been very true of my recent offerings of cranes and tenders. So what is my defense?

Well, many of you (which I am more than appreciative of) have very adequately stated or covered most of them. So I will not repeat them here. But might I add the following:

As a content creator you know full well that you are walking out on the prank, on the narrow edge, onto the type rope, working at hell's door. We are putting things out there in the community to enjoy, but also to judge. To me the biggest fear is not that others will NOT appreciate what I do but that I will fail myself at providing an acceptable product. Yes, the standard is set by the users, but the greater standard is one's own standard of workmanship. I have a big problem. I cannot stand knowing that there is something wrong with an asset, a creation. This is not to say that everything I do is perfect by any means. Any creator worth his or her salt is never fully satisfied with the "final" product. There really is no such thing. You are never finished with an asset. It can always be made better ( and all to often in my case, a lot better).

When I find something wrong. I must fix it. Better to fix it fast than to have someone point it out. Now there is a motivational fear if there is one. My biggest hell is not being able to fix an asset. I have a responsibility to the community and more important to myself to fix any errors that can be fixed. Yes, there are limits to this. I do spent a lot of time at this craft. More than I should. But for some damn reason, I do enjoy doing it.

So PARAILFAN, I would rather be faulted for fixing something wrong, than be faulted for not doing so or of being ignorant of the error. I feel your frustration because it is my own frustration as well. I kick myself first for not seeing the error before uploading the asset, but than kick myself again for not fixing it fast enough. As others have stated, errors are a way of life for content creators. I never want to make a mistake, but when I do, I must fix it. So guys, PARAILFAN is actually to my way of thinking, a help to me. And please, if anyone of you see anything that you think needs fixing with regard to my assets, please point it out. Hopefully I will be able to fix it on the first try.

Last edited:
PARAILFAN has a point. And yes, he could have just sent me a private email, but than he might not know that my email addy is to be found within just about any of my asset's config.txt file. Nevertheless, he elected to make this thread, which I am perfectly fine with. I am a big believer in freedom of speech.

PARAILFAN did praise my work, for which I am grateful to him. So PARAILFAN, I would rather be faulted for fixing something wrong, than be faulted for not doing so or of being ignorant of the error. ... And please, if anyone of you see anything that you think needs fixing with regard to my assets, please point it out. Hopefully I will be able to fix it on the first try.

That has got to be the best and most humbling response to a critical post that I have ever read - in these or any other forums. Majekear you have the patience of the Biblical Job, the wisdom of Solomon and the forgiveness of a Mother Theresa. You are an exemplary example to us all.

This is a response to EVERYONE that replied to my original post except for pware and Majekear. I'm NOT going to apologize for having an opinion. And some of you reported me for having an opinion? I understand that this is a worldwide forum and that some of you might be used to a totalitarian form of government where no one can have a view that differs from your own. So maybe I can forgive you. Maybe SOME of you should be reported for personal harassment to me. This is why I rarely post anything on here. It all turns into a pile-on. There are several of you that give me trouble every time I make a post. Majekear handled the criticism of himself better than the rest of you handled this, which does say something for his character, and reflects poorly on the rest of you. Also note that my forum post is still here, so all of your threats to report me obviously were without merit. It shows how intolerant you are to an opinion that is different from your own.

Last edited:
WOW... Really? Just saw this... Get a First Class Ticket and a Real Internet Connection.... And get over it. (or delete all his content)

I write computer programs and have hundreds of updates and patches, you build it, test it, then give it to the real world, and something is wrong, so you remake it, and re-upload it, then need to make it work better for a different version, and at some point it becomes perfect (never), for that version. You never seem to be able to get it that real world perfect, so you keep creating, modifying, and perfecting your product. You don't think Windows is on it's 10th version, and it has monthly updates for nothing do you?

To complain that the author is creating too many updates is just ludicrous. You should be thankful.

Hey Chris, do you know how many First Class Tickets I bought over the years? Alright then. I'm not feeding the pig anymore. Real internet connection? How do you know what my internet connection is unless you're doing hacking in your spare time. Download speed is limited by the DLS, not on my end. By the way, Windows 10 is widely considered garbage and many still avoid using it, so I hope you can come up with a better comparison than that.

As a content creator you know full well that you are walking out on the prank, on the narrow edge, onto the type rope, working at hell's door. We are putting things out there in the community to enjoy, but also to judge. To me the biggest fear is not that others will NOT appreciate what I do but that I will fail myself at providing an acceptable product. Yes, the standard is set by the users, but the greater standard is one's own standard of workmanship. I have a big problem. I cannot stand knowing that there is something wrong with an asset, a creation. This is not to say that everything I do is perfect by any means. Any creator worth his or her salt is never fully satisfied with the "final" product. There really is no such thing. You are never finished with an asset. It can always be made better ( and all to often in my case, a lot better).

When I find something wrong. I must fix it. Better to fix it fast than to have someone point it out. Now there is a motivational fear if there is one. My biggest hell is not being able to fix an asset. I have a responsibility to the community and more important to myself to fix any errors that can be fixed. Yes, there are limits to this. I do spent a lot of time at this craft. More than I should. But for some damn reason, I do enjoy doing it.

Well said.

As for myself, though, I really don't care whether someone likes my creations or not. I make them because it's turned into a hobby ( I don't have much else to do actually. I'm old and wore out) and I LIKE doing it. What irks me is when I create something and instead of a "Thank you" I get a response like "That's nice BUT--- can you also make a (--) or a (--) and also a (--) and a few (--s). Freaking GIMME PIGS is what I'm talking about. Yes, I do get inspired by a picture or suggestion someone might post and sometimes make an asset from the suggestion. And if I get a bunch of suggestions asking about the same certain building or something I MIGHT make it. But when I go to my thread and someone has posted a half-dozen pictures of some building or something and it's not something that I feel would be used by a lot of people then I will not create it. As I've said before, making stuff for Trainz isn't really that hard! If you want that "Joe's Slop Shop" building then make it yourself!!

Cheers,

Dave

PARAILFAN. As One Member of that Bandwagon, I Hereby Apologize!

PARAILFAN. I am one of those who took part on that bandwagon of reporting you (in essence), to the "teacher". I am not going to sit here being Mr. Big Man. When I'm wrong, I will freely admit to it. In retrospect, and in light of all that has been said -notable Majekear- I hereby apologize for any harm I might've caused you! :( They say people shouldn't allow emotion to dictate their actions. I had let my admiration, and respect for Majekear as an important content creator -having gifted us all, so many wonderful assets- to get the best of me! It need not have involved the MOD's!

At the time -I admit- I wasn't even so sure then, if you had violated "Forum Conduct Policy" as you see from my following except:

... PARAILFAN :mop: You are in violation!!! If not of Forum Conduct Policy; of common decency as a human being! :( ...

... So you know what :mop::mop::mop: (With all that has been said) you're clearly not in violation of Forum Conduct Policy -not having been so sure myself. As part of that group, I must be in "violation" of which (again), I am truly sorry! :eek:

-We should not deem respect only towards revered content creator's, but all fellow Trainzer's alike! :)

Last edited:
As has been observed by many over the years, Trainz is not a rail simulator. It is much more serious than that. It is a passion, a way of life and one that often generates a lot of heat. We (myself included) often let our emotions rule our heads.

I'd be grateful that he takes the time to create so much content for us. But yeah, how dare he take the time to provide countless assets for us without expecting anything in return...

Matt

Hey Chris, do you know how many First Class Tickets I bought over the years? Alright then. I'm not feeding the pig anymore. Real internet connection? How do you know what my internet connection is unless you're doing hacking in your spare time. Download speed is limited by the DLS, not on my end. By the way, Windows 10 is widely considered garbage and many still avoid using it, so I hope you can come up with a better comparison than that.

This post is for the content creater Majekear. <x> I'm about ready to stop wasting time and DLS bandwidth limits downloading your stuff because I know you'll post another version of it in a few days. Can't it be done right the first time?

WOW ... ? You bash Majekear, then the other posters here, then the First Class Ticket, then Windows 10, then me... Sounds like you don't like much here. You said you were tired of wasting your time, so I assumed you had a slow internet connection ... LOL. Most people that have Windows 10 like it and it works well for them. Most people that have a First Class Ticket and fast internet like it and works well for them.

I am sorry if I have insulted you in some way and have made assumptions based on your original post, I was just trying to point out the extreme effort that the asset author has made creating his assets, and the meticulous effort to ensure that the people that use them have the absolute best version of them, and people that use them should be respectful to that author, or don't use them...

-------> My Bad

I'm still standing by my post. I'm neither attacking anyone here, nor bashing anyone. The problem is the OP posts without thinking of the implications of what's been typed. He's done that with other topics as well.

With that said, I think it's time this thread is put to rest. Maybe a moderator can come a long and lock it.

I'm still standing by my post. I'm neither attacking anyone here, nor bashing anyone. The problem is the OP posts without thinking of the implications of what's been typed. He's done that with other topics as well.

With that said, I think it's time this thread is put to rest. Maybe a moderator can come a long and lock it.
You say you are not bashing anyone and then you proceed to bash someone. What other topics have I done that with, since you apparently have an agenda from a past time?

Also let it be known that Majekear cannot receive private messages because his allotted space is full and he has to delete messages to make room. So no, I could NOT message him about this problem personally. People tend to make way too many assumptions here.

Last edited:
I'm requesting a MOD to lock this thread. Enough has been said, and further posts here serve no purpose.

I have learnt in life that when there is a storm and dust is in the air, and I jump in to help , I get smacked or smack the wrong people, because I can't see .
Wait till the dust settles , have a good look around and then decide what to do, if anything.
Then there are also no excuses to be made because of hurting others.

I wonder what input the original author to this thread has put into Trainz. I have a free FCT but have never used it, because if a "big" download like a new route, then just let it perform in the Background whilst your engaged elsewhere. That or just leave it overnight, Job done.....
Why are some people so ungrateful, rude and impolite to the content creators.

I thank ALL content creators for the efforts of thousands of hours. If I spend just a quarter of that sort of time testing and reporting back to them, then I consider my time is well spent and it's the least I can do for these super Guys and Girls who make stuff for everybody to enjoy and use FOR FREE.
Only by cooperation between various groups of peoples will we progress to better things.

Uncouth behaviour is uncalled for.........:n:

If I was a Mod this whole thread would be deleted..... It serves no purpose~
Enough has been said, and further posts here serve no purpose.

You could apply those sentiments to many/most of the threads in these forums. Calls to have a thread closed simply because of the opinions expressed by posters, provided they do not break the CoC, should be ignored by the mods. I agree that the opinion expressed by the original poster and the blunt way it was expressed, could and should have been presented a lot better than it was, but it was just an opinion. Likewise, some of the responses were just as "ill considered".

jjanmarine3 has the better idea - Wait till the dust settles, have a good look around and then decide what to do, if anything. I suspect that the participants, myself included, will simply move on to other things and this thread will become lost in the Trainz Forum Archives - a far better and more fitting fate. Closing it down, if no CoC violations have occurred, will probably just generate more heat elsewhere.

Well, I'm siding with davesnow and BN1970 on this one. You are right, pware, if this thread were called, "Stop Your All-Too-Frequent Asset Updates, Majekear!", but it's not. The thread's very name will attract anyone who is looking for cool assets by Majekear (especially cranes).

And what will they see? A scuffle in the sandbox. I find it somewhat embarrassing to the entire community...

three_way_tantrum.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note here. I checked late yesterday (September 20, 2017) with my ISP and my email box is no where never full and has not been for months. Don't know what the difficulty might be otherwise with sending me emails but it is apparently NOT with my ISP's mail system. However, the ISP did knowledge that they have been doing routine maintenance on their servers which could cause a temporary outage. Timing is everything as they say.

Cressjl, love the kids in the sandbox pic. Gave me a good laugh. To davesnow, again thanks to you for allowing me to reskin and modify your original art work and mesh, and as to your last two comments, I understand brother.

All of this makes me think of the saying, "There but for the grace of God (Providence) go I." Lastly, I find that enough has been said. Time for all of us to move on. There are other fish to be fried.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back