T:ane Who unauthorizedly released the handbrake?

Tilo_B

My Problem in T:ane
After pressing the handbrake by script, someone / something released the brake immediately.

The script says:
train.SetVelocity (0);
train.SetHandBrake (1);

This is also executed and confirmed by a message at the bottom left of the window.
Shortly thereafter, the message "Handbrake released" appears.

Test :
A new map, a track with inclination. Nothing else!
In the inclination the brake like above.{ train.SetVelocity (0);train.SetHandBrake (1); }
A Loco and a car placed.
The Car uncoupled.
The car is running.
It stops and the parking brake is activated.
Shown also in the message text.
After this, the message "Brake is released" appears immediately.
Then the car goes on.

Does anyone have an idea, what can be the reason?

Right Ho. Tane.

Gradient 7.13
Locomotive: Holden S56
driving mode: Realistic

Stock various: Passenger coaches, goods wagons

So this is steam train, Taken down down hill then back up the incline and brought to a stop with stock firmly attached.
Set train brake. release coupling and drive away every item stays where it was.
Same again consist moved down and back up the incline apply independent brake uncouple move Loco and watch the stock run off on its own down the hill.:hehe:

I have not been able to replicate your problem though...... Sorry. Are you perhaps using the wrong brake, but from a veteran user no I cant see that so I do not know the answer

Maybe someone else can help you out.

I tried again this time With AI? As soon as uncouple command is executed the cars roll away.............forgotten where they put that brake . I know I used it in TS12 in the hump yard but where's it in Tane. :confused:

Last edited:
In DCC mode you press "A" to apply the hand brake. However, even if the cars are rolling at 100 MPH I think they still come to a stop INSTANTLY after the hand brake is applied. I have no idea if this has changed yet because I can't play TS12 quite yet (see signature) but I am hoping it has since TRS2006. In Cab Mode, when you apply the train brake, any rolling stock will stay put on a gradient.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.
The problem is still there.
In older versions of Trainz it works perfectly.
Unfortunately not in T: ANE.
I can not find any explanation.

Hi Tilo_B

As said, I made a test driving by realistic mode, and on what is an impossibly steep gradient. All is fine IF you apply the correct brake before decoupling.
In DCC, The train brakes are applied automatically so the stock stays put anyway.(Or should, but then to keep us on our toes Trainz sometimes throws us a wobbly:hehe:)

The only difference would be in the basics, Track, loco or stock used.

If you post exactly what you have or want to use as Track and the direction it was laid, Loco, stock, plus the method of controlling, I will try testing again using those.

If the stock runs away, then I will progressively change in no particular order the three basics, Loco, stock, track, until I have a result.

Cheers
John P.

PS: Do you have any preferences for the alternatives I could use in the test?

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments.
The problem is still there.
In older versions of Trainz it works perfectly.
Unfortunately not in T: ANE.
I can not find any explanation.

That is correct; I had a runaway in Kickstarter County (T:ANE) two days ago. Tried clicking cars and pressing A ... no come to a stop.

That is correct; I had a runaway in Kickstarter County (T:ANE) two days ago. Tried clicking cars and pressing A ... no come to a stop.

The one thing I hate about the newer versions of Trainz is that you CANNOT control any loco or piece of rolling stock without a driver on the train. If you tried applying the handbrake to a consist with no driver, it won't work. This means that if you have any runaway rolling stock, you can't stop it unless you chase it with a loco or derail it somewhere. The other thing you could do is wait for gravity to stop it, but I gravity in Trainz isn't great so I don't think the car would stop for a while. I would have to do a 2% grade test and see how long it takes a regular, unloaded boxcar to stop. The car would go down the grade and then get to level ground so I could see how long it would take to stop.

Last edited:
I made that mistake with a rake of empty full coal hoppers. The consist ran down hill for well over a mile before it derailed through a switch set the wrong way. No matter how hard or quickly I tried to set the brakes, I couldn't click fast an enough and off she went for that merry ride. Remember: Set brake first then uncouple, otherwise, it's a great train chase!

From what I've read, this has happened in real life quite a number of times on various coal branches. I suppose this was a bit of added realism in this case!

Back