Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hyperloop - London to Edinburgh?

United Kingdom, West Midlands, Gnosall Staffordshire

I can just imagine the uproar if there were 12 ft diameter Tubes laid across the countryside! More chance of that flying Saucer, they could just borrow one from Area 51?
    Malc

United States of America, Tennessee, Lewisburg

And putting them underground just generates a new and different set of problems.

Ben
    Trestle Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    It will never happen! It's total bollocks!
    Quote Originally Posted by clam1952 View Post
    I can just imagine the uproar if there were 12 ft diameter Tubes laid across the countryside!
    Quote Originally Posted by bendorsey View Post
    And putting them underground just generates a new and different set of problems.
    Its a brave man who says "never". I suspect that much of the hype about the hypertube is all part of the publicity machine of one E. Musk. That said, I do see one genuine possibility for it - the transport of cargo across oceans with the tube laid in a seabed trench.

Peter
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

I'm not saying one can't be built. What I am saying is its difficulty of construction and impracticality of usage so large as to be little more then an interesting experiment. Can a small one be built and gotten to work as proof of concept - almost certainly - its the "what next" that presents problems.

Think about this gents: CURVES. If the tube is 12 ft in diameter that is for all practical purposes its gauge. Depending on car length the minimum radius of curvature will be gigantic and the greater the velocity the larger the radius must be.

As for crossing the Atlantic for example in a trench on the ocean floor - don't forget about the mid-Atlantic ridge where the continental plates are growing away from each other. Gonna need some serious expansion joints there folks.

These things really would be better off on the Moon, .

Ben
    Trestle Man

United Kingdom, West Midlands, Gnosall Staffordshire

Just did a google search for Bizarre Transport Prototypes and guess what came up.........

http://uk.businessinsider.com/hyperl...17-3?r=US&IR=T
    Malc

Blog Entries

These things really would be better off on the Moon,
    ... where the vacuum is supplied free of charge.
    A member of the "Party Machine". Now if only I could remember where they are holding the party!

Neat article. A definite proof of concept experiment. Be interesting to follow the progress. I'll be highly surprised if it doesn't work. Its the expansion to practicality I question.

Something like this on the moon is nothing new. I've been a Sci Fi fan for 60 years. High speed overhead monorails on the moon have been (conceptually) around sine the 50's (and probably the 40's). They are quite a workable concept since (as pware said) the vacuum is free.

Ben
    Trestle Man

Here's another idea that never made it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-engl...-uk-hovertrain

The Hovertrain.

Rob.

Blog Entries

Think about this gents:
    1. How do you make a switch on one of these?
    2. How do you maintain a vacuum in a tube 8, 10, or 12 ft in diameter and 100 miles long?
    3. How do you get folks in and out (airlocks)?
    4. What about propulsion (my guess would be linear induction motors)?

This thing would be great on the moon since no tube would be required. Just make it a very high speed overhead monorail. On earth - more of a publicity stunt I think.

Ben
    Yeah, because Elon Musk needs the publicity... The bloke has precedent for doing the unthinkable. What was PayPal/Internet banking before him? Consumer space travel?

He's the man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_FyOBCVGWE

No need to be pessimistic. He picks apart his own ideas first.

And he has permission to build a Hyperloop between DC and NY. Even if it doesn't work, what's the harm in trying?

Jamie