American Intermodal

I always start the cycle with the consist at the front end of the ramp and with the Mijack at the first truck position.

In my own route the wagons come into an arrival area and are pushed onto the ramp by a switcher that couples to the rear of the train and uncouples the last 20 wagons. It then pushes them to the front of the ramp to start the operation.
The Mijack always starts at the front in this setup. I have seen the about face on the containers sometimes but not seen the Mijack stop and change to loading again.
I found that once a consist was unloaded if I pulled it forwards, off the ramp then pushed it back on again the mijack would go to the rear of the train to start loading. I have not pulled it off to the rear so I cant say if it makes any difference.
I have 4 load/unload tracks with 3 mijacks on each track The switchers are under full AI control.
I control the load or unload operation by having 2 portals feed each mijack. One cheetah is loaded the other is empty. The two lines come together at a switch just after they clear the portal's control.
All I do is throw the switch to the one I want to load or unload. The other will sit there and no more are produced until I throw the switch back again.
You can PM me if you would like mor info.
Cheers,
Mike

edit.
I forgot to mention, it is best to uncouple the locos immediately ( the mijak will lock them)and move them to refuel out of the way, so you can get the wagons to the front.

Last edited:
As I have some difficulty with english I cutted the sentences of Mike into peaces to understand the proces:

-----------------
start the cycle:
- with consist at front end of ramp and
- with Mijack at first truck position.

wagons come into an arrival area:
- uncouple locos immediately (mijak will lock them)
- move them to refuel or out of the way
- switcher couples to rear of the train
- uncouple the last 20 wagons
- push them to front of ramp to start operation

if consist is unloaded:
- pull it forwards, complete off the ramp
- push it back on again
- mijack would go to the rear of the train to start loading

layout:
- 4 load/unload tracks
- 3 mijacks on each track
- switchers are under full AI control.

load-/unload-operation controlled by:
2 portals feed each mijack:
- 1 cheetah is loaded
- 1 cheetah is empty.
The 2 lines come together:
- at a switch (just after portal's control)
- throw switch to the one to load or unload.

---------
thank you Mike... if it is not complete I'll hear it from you ....
Dave

I'm only little bit confused with this:

In my own route the wagons come into an arrival area and are pushed onto the ramp by a switcher that couples to the rear of the train and uncouples the last 20 wagons. It then pushes them to the front of the ramp to start the operation.

If I understood it well, the train arrives to a different track than unloading track with MiJack, right? Than you uncouple the lead engine from the front end of the train and move it to refuel, for example. In a next step switcher couples to the rear end of train, uncouples 20 cars and pushes them to unloading track (where MiJack starts unloading).

but:

I forgot to mention, it is best to uncouple the locos immediately (the mijack will lock them) and move them to refuel out of the way, so you can get the wagons to the front.

So, where train really arrives? To unload track with MiJack, so you must uncouple the locos immediately or to arriving track, where you have plenty of time for uncoupling lead locos and couple switcher?

maybe in his layout the route of leaving locos is passing the load/unload-area...
dave

Last edited:
Hi Vince,
My Intermodal yard has 3 arrival tracks that run alongside each pair of multiple ramps. I usually run 1 ramp to unloadand the other to load.
The yard has 2 of these setups.
The reason for the arrival tracks is that you cant split a long train into sections by pulling it through the Cranes.
You can have one crane cover the whole train but it is boring and takes forever.
When a train comes in it drops the wagons and gets out of the way.
The switcher is situated at the rear end of the ramps. It comes into the rear of the consist uncouples a cut and pulls it into a lead. Then it pushes the cut to the front of the front ramp.
The crane is waiting at the front of the ramp.
The switcher needs to uncouple quickly because once the crane starts work the loco gets frozen and cant be controlled.
The switcher goes back and makes another cut and places it on the second ramp.
It then gets the final cut and places that on the last ramp. The cuts are 19,19,22, because the Uncouplez From has a maximum of 20.
Each ramp has a bypass track with crossovers between each ramp so access is available at front and rear of each cut.

Once the cranes have finished with the cuts, I go to the rear of each one in turn and pull it off the ramp onto the bypass track until it clears the ramp work area.
Then the switcher pushes it back to the front of the ramp again. At this point the crane is at the rear of the cut.
When the crane starts working again it picks the first container in front of it and carries it to the front wagon and then goes on and loads the wagons as normal from the front trucks.
Origially I pulled the wagons from the front of the ramp. but I found the crane worked from the back and this not very efficient.
The other thing I do while the cut is out of the ramp, is to throw the switch that controls which truck it needs ,loaded or empty. By the time the cut is back in place the ramp is almost filled again. I run the trucks at 1 minute intervals.
It takes 45 to 50 minutes to unload each train, then about the same to load it up again.
I run 4 switchers and dont have any signals controlling them. Mostly they are under full AI control . I just need to keep an eye on them and intervene if they have a disagreement.
The JR scripts and assets are trully great and very realistic in operation. It is a pity they have not carried it further to handle trailers.
Hope this helps you understand a bit better.
Cheers,
Mike

Now if this orientation is the same as the Mi-Jack and Cheetah all will be well. But if one or other of them is not the same orientation then the container will spin around when placed on the Cheetah if unloading or the well car if loading to the same orientation of the vehicle it is loaded onto. Makes for interesting viewing watching the doors disappear one end only to reappear at the other. This is what happens when the Mi-Jack reaches the other 'half' of the 'Intermodal Industry'
Roger

Hope we're talking about the same route - payware American Intermodal from JR... I tried it today. My train arrived from North. So it means green arrow towards to South. I checked that MiJack and trucks have the same orientation - green arrow to South. But it is interesting that although each wellcar of my train has "good orientantion", the container doors are in front end of car (to South). So after container is unloaded from car and loaded onto truck, the container doors really disappear one end (front, South) only to reappear at the other (rear, faced to North). But it happens in each place of industry...

vince

Yes we are talking about the same route.

The orientation of the container varies I know. In one session I have where the Mi-Jack loads the train from the trucks all the containers stay the same way round. But I have seen much changing ends of the containers as they are loaded and unloaded. Even to the point where the bottom layer in a well car will be one way round and the top layer the other way round!

I have a YouTube video which is very basic of a session I set up to load the train from the trucks. https://youtu.be/oig7MlkyvPA

If anybody wants a cdp of the route and session, like I said it is very basic, pm me. The cdp will only list the assets you need, you must have them for the route/session to work or have access to them. For obvious copyright issues I cannot and will not supply assets.

Forgot to add it is for T:ANE

Regards
Roger

Last edited:
I'm really considering to install this route in T:ANE, because from several post in this thread it seems it works better there.

Mike, I tried your way yesterday, because with using switcher it is more realistic for me. Although I moved MiJack at the first truck (in editor), he started to unload from the last wellcar again. But it's not problem.

Can't say if it was caused by doors oriented to "wrong" side (see my previous post), but after MiJack unloaded last three cars, he stopped for a "coffee pause" for 20 minutes or more. After that he unloaded one container (fifth car from rear end, so he ignored the fourth) and had a break again. I lost my patience and went to sleep. Testing American Intermodal is a very time-consuming process :). I have to make another attempt with "good oriented" containers, but I'm not giving a big chance to this.

You also wrote you have three MiJacks on one unloading track... What's their behaviour? Don't crash or block each other?

Hi Vince,
The Mijacks are on three separate ramps with a space between them, on the one track. There is a bypass track on one side that allows me to move wagons on and off the ramps.
I tried in the early days to run a number on the one track but was not really successful.
You could modify American Intermodal so that it has 2 Mijacks working by splitting the track at the middle ramp and placing the end units on each track, leaving space between for access, then install the mid ramp units in those tracks. You would also need to have two truck tracks feeding the ramps.
I also like to watch the switchers busily working and I cantake control of one if I want
The direction of the wagons when you push on decides which way the Mijack works. It will always go to the lead wagon first.
Cheers,
Mike

OK, I improved all containers to facing them to north (in JR's American Intermodal layout), so that's the same orientation they should be spotted on truck. This time MiJack really (finally!!) starts unloading from the first wellcar. It's still interestering that at the moment when crane grabs container, it turns about 180 degrees, but after spotting on truck container is oriented OK again.

Since this configuration MiJack continues with unloading cars well. He even loaded first truck, so he could leave the yard. Only one small fault is that some trucks don't wait to be loaded by crane and left yard empty. Maybe some impatient drivers don't want to very shy crane operator, who still thinking which wellcar will be next :)... But seriously, we are know Trainz is not perfect and this is very small bug.

Now it's time for trying to set some AI trains operations and try more containers and cars which are not included in JR's AI pack.

Back