ATLS System

stouthm

Get over it
Once the consist passes the crossing the gate takes a long time before it rises. No matter where I place the trigger it still takes a long time. I'm using the 4 trigger system and yes everything is as it should be. The gate closes when it reaches the first trigger but it's the second trigger that is driving me nuts.. I've tried moving it a number of times with no success. Is there a way in which I can place the trigger so that the gate rises soon after the consist passes?

Four trigger mode needs 4 triggers to be passed to complete the cycle. Trigger 1 activates the gate, Trigger 2 is not active, Trigger 3 deactivates the gate and Trigger 4 is not active. Triggers 1 and 4 should be placed some distance away while triggers 2 and 3 are placed each side of the gates.

stagecoach, I understand the system but I'm having a problem getting the gates to close more quickly after the train has passed. I guess I just have to play with #3 trigger to find the spot. Thanks.

Have a look at the properties of the crossing gate, it may have settings there.
Graeme

I second that -- check the crossing properties themselves. I'm using one crossing that has slow gates and found the best setting to be 2 flasher cycles on closing. Alternatively, try a different crossing and see if the issue persists.

:B~)

If you are using the pre setup ATLS crossing then place the trigger on the footpath and set to 5m radius. If you have made the crossing from the ATLS components then place the trigger beside the gates where the footpath would cross the track. If you are using normal crossings make sure the trigger is not on the crossing track.

Make sure the ATLS trigger radii are set to 5m or less for the releasing trigs, VERY important to raise the gates quickly after the train passes.

Hi Stouthm,

As stagecoach says, and he is an ATLS Super-User, the gate should open as soon as the train leaves the second Trigger (or in the case of the direction dependant 4 Trig system, the 3rd Trigger in line).
Reducing the Trigger Radius which effectively reduces the 'size' of the Trigger will make that happen more quickly and is useful for slow trains.

However there should not be a delay unless you have set the ATLS Slave to 'Delay Clear'. This setting should be at '0'.

If it is at 0 and there is still a delay then there is some other problem. Upload a screenshot of the area so we can see what crossing you are using and the settings in the ATLS assets.

What gates/barriers are you using? Do they have a delay setting or are THEY just slow?

Boat

Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions. Boat, after reading your response I did some fine tuning on the grade crossing, I only use BNSF50's crossing, and tested some crossing on one of my routes. Some of the crossing work the way they're suppose to while others do not. The gates close when the train reaches the trigger but does not open after passing the trigger until several seconds later when the train is far away. I think it has something to do with where I place the #3 trigger even though I try to place all the #3 triggers in the same area. Just a thought, does it matter the sequence in which you place the triggers? I usually place the closing gate triggers first, that would be #1 & #4, then I place the two opening triggers on the crossing itself, those being #2 & #3 triggers. I place 2 & 3 with the bottom just touching the crosswalk with the top close to the middle of the crossing. I will continue messing around with this but it's not something that will stop me from using your system. Thanks for making it.

Hi,

No it doesn’t matter what sequence you click the Triggers into place in Surveyor.

When you run the actual Session, this is what happens with the 4 trigger system.....

As a train arrives and hits the first Trigger, that will send an immediate message to the Controller which in turn will send an immediate message to the Slave to create an invisible train which will close the gate. There is a setting on the Slave, (Delay Start) which can delay the creation of the train.

When the train hits the 2nd Trigger in line it will ignore it as this is meant for trains travelling in the opposite direction.

When the train hits the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Trigger in line it will wait for the end of the train to clear that trigger and then will send an immediate message to the Controller which in turn will send an immediate message to the Slave to delete the invisible train which will open the gate. There is a setting on the Slave, (Delay Clear) which can delay the deletion of the train.

The train will ignore the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Trigger.

In other words, the Trigger and Controller can only send instant messages. If there is a delay it can only be set-up in the Slave..... or in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party barrier itself. Where you position the Triggers will not add any extra delay. Check the ‘Delay Clear’ setting in the Slave and that all Slaves are set to 4 Trigger System.

In the sequence a train hits the Triggers, Trigger 1 closes the barrier to cars, Trigger 3 opens the barrier to cars. Triggers 2 & 4 in the given direction do nothing.

Cheers,

Boat

Which crossing and barriers are you using in the one that wont work? Not all crossings work in the same way and need to be set up slightly different. It sounds like this might be one of them, if I know the assets I can try and recreate the situation.

boat & stagecoach - I appreciate you guys hanging in there with me but it's not a big deal. I'm probably being a little anal about this, Most of the time I'm in Cab view or Chase view and I don't even see the crossing once I go by. It's just bugging me as to why I can't get it to work. Stagecoach, the grade xing I'm using is BNSF50's kuid2:39134:101060:5. I've double checked all my setting and they appear to be correct but maybe you can let me know what your setting are after you check it out. Thanks again.

Just looked at the crossing which is an all in one type (gate + crossing). Set it up and the gate opens a few seconds after the train passes trigger 3. If the set up is correct check that trigger 3 is on the main track and not on the crossing track. This would explain why it did not trigger and the gate only triggered after it passed trigger 4.
You can test this by driving the train in both directions in manual. It will most likely be something like this
Forward T1 = gate closes, T2 = nothing, T3 = nothing and T4 = gate opens.
Reverse T1 = nothing, T2 = nothing, T3 = gate closes and T4 = nothing, gates remain closed.

Last edited:
Thank you stagecoach. That was the problem, the trigger was on the crossing tracks. With that problem solved you've just added a ton of work for me. I should go into my "Port Tillamook RR TANE" route, which is on the dls, and fix all those crossing, well over a hundred. Oh well, I'm retired and cold weather is on its way. Thanks again for all your help.

Thank you stagecoach. That was the problem, the trigger was on the crossing tracks. With that problem solved you've just added a ton of work for me. I should go into my "Port Tillamook RR TANE" route, which is on the dls, and fix all those crossing, well over a hundred. Oh well, I'm retired and cold weather is on its way. Thanks again for all your help.

I told you Stagecoach was an ATLS Super-User! :cool:

I only use the tools that I have to manipulate what I want them to do. The creator of the tools are the masterminds behind it.

Back