Here we go again TRS2018

I am just content and happy that Trainz exists and think back to when I discovered it by chance and started with TRS04. Apart from any passing situs that anyone might have they are not a big issue and neither is the cost. People are people and even acceptable routines are complained about in life in general. Part of practical life I reckon!

1- Since the release I have not been able to enjoy T:ane at all with the broken assets, broken multiplayer.
2- When I scroll in the route with the right mouse button after a while it goes CTD with no errors or showing errors in log. Lots of people are getting the same problem and they say memory leak.
3- It looks like your getting ready to announce a new version when this one is not even fix yet. I know some of the users out there say they have no problem running the software that's great but the rest of us have one problem after another. I don't think is fair that we spend the money to have a working product and after a year and a half still is not a satisfactory product in my opinion. If i go out and spend my money on a brand new car I expect for that car to be working right from purchase not to take it in to the mechanic right away to get it fix. Now you are announcing this new physical-based rendering. That sounds like a new version of T:ane while the original is still broken. There's a lot of users out there that feel the same way I do and I think is time for them to speak up and tell how they feel about the product.

I've really been into Trainz since TS2009 and yes every new release has had some issues but so far I would suggest T:ANE has been the best release and look forward to whatever may follow. Somehow whatever I've been working on at the time has migrated to the new release and expect with a little fiddling the future will be no different. Would I really want it any other way, even with the frustration probably not, as someone who prefers Surveyor to Drive, I'm sure I've learnt more over the years trying to make Trainz work than I ever might have done if it had have been perfect every time. Peter

1- Since the release I have not been able to enjoy T:ane at all with the broken assets, broken multiplayer.
2- When I scroll in the route with the right mouse button after a while it goes CTD with no errors or showing errors in log. Lots of people are getting the same problem and they say memory leak.

Which TANE build are you using? I have experienced major problems with both SP1 and SP2 that have all vanished in SP2 HF1 (beta). HF1 (beta) is not perfect and probably never will be, but that is the nature of software.

3 ... If i go out and spend my money on a brand new car I expect for that car to be working right from purchase not to take it in to the mechanic right away to get it fix.

Unfortunately, the car analogy does not apply to software. TANE is not a complete car, it is just one small component that fits into a complete computer system. It is more like taking a generically designed component, such as an oil pump or a brake pad, and trying to fit it to every possible car. It will work well on some models but will have problems (wrong size, insufficient capacity, etc) on others. This is where Apple and its Apple Store has a huge marketing advantage - Apple software is specifically designed to work on Apple computers all with the same OS and known and matched hardware components - like fitting an oil pump specifically designed for just one make and model of car to that car. But even then Apple software still has glitches and requires frequent patches and upgrades. How much pre-release testing is enough before a software product can be released as "bug free" (which is a mathematically impossible claim to make)?

TANE on the other hand, is expected to work with an enormous range and variety of hardware and OS components installed in users computers, some of which will be below the minimum specification. I run TANE on one of my computers that is below the minimum graphics spec - it runs but very poorly.

No software company (not even Apple) can afford to stand still with their product range until everything is perfect before moving on to the next release. As I noted in a previous post, the new Apple iPhone (to be released today???) will not run an enormous number of apps (about 10% world wide) in their App Store. One poster in these forums recently calculated the number of TANE incompatible assets on the DLS as well below that figure.

I understand your frustration but I think you are expecting more of N3V than you would of any larger software company - and I can understand that because Trainz is an important part of your life (mine too).

Peter

Last edited:
TRS2018? Where is this announced? If this really is the case I would be furious as TANE is such a dumpster fire even after SP2. One of the worst software buys I ever made. It also shows what class N3V has for software quality and their respect for the community that surrounds it.

TRS2018? Where is this announced? If this really is the case I would be furious as TANE is such a dumpster fire even after SP2. One of the worst software buys I ever made. It also shows what class N3V has for software quality and their respect for the community that surrounds it.

If you had taken a bit of time and did a bit of research (checked their newsletter page for example) you would have noticed an announcement about the use of new light reflective technology in a future version of Trainz with the internal working title of "Trainz 2018". There was no announcement of a new release, but let's not let some common sense get in the way of a good rant.

I see.

Yep, that's right... Add more things to further brake Trainz instead of fixing up all the stuff that's yet to be fixed.

I see.

Yep, that's right... Add more things to further brake Trainz instead of fixing up all the stuff that's yet to be fixed.

Did Microsoft fix all the "stuff" in Vista before they released Win 7? Should software developers stop work on any future versions until the current version is perfect? In the real world a business that does not plan ahead is dead!

sigh, why not wait until the actual announcement of the next version before declaring that the sky is falling. With only the barest hint of a new rendering system, which by the way looks to be very interesting, we've already got a bunch of doom and gloom. Not saying it will all be rosy and sunshine but really. TANE SP2 HF1 might not be perfect but it is hardly a big fail. Works fine on my less than top notch rig.

I was about to say, where is the OP source for this big announcement? All I see is the news item on the front page (finally displacing the out of date sale which N3V couldn't be bothered to take down) with regard to shaders - on which I've posted my views separately.

It's no secret that N3V have been working on "Next" with plenty of discussion about the potential business model - subscription service for co-operative route building and micro-transactions, per the Android and iPad way of doing things.

My only thought at this stage is that N3V need to learn from the rollercoaster ride that has been TANE and try to avoid the same mistakes, but we know they probably won't. We'll get an odd collection of routes which showcase the best of 2006 style, an insistence on backward compatibility which cripples the game engine, a series of patches which take the program from dire to almost good then back again. Oh and we'll still have to switch the points as we go because there isn't a built in AI signaler/dispatcher!

For goodness sake, will you moanzers give N3V a break.

I for one am pleased that they are forward looking in their ambitions.

Do you know something, if TANE was 100% perfect and nobody had any issues you would probably be saying "Why bring a new product out?, this one is OK"

Standing still in the software world is never an option, develop or die!

As has been said before, TANE is not a one size fits all, it never will be until a universal PC hardware standard is adopted, which will probably never happen.

Despite its faults I really enjoy using trains to make routes, with occasional driving sessions, it's a big part of my life that I would hate to be without.

Thank you N3V and all the developers, testers and creators for making this old man very happy in his retirement.

Don't let the moanzers bring you down!

The Impossible Dream

Microsoft risks ALL your PC operations with each new release. They also do updates to updates for the same reasons as N3V. However, both companies have a similar problem - chasing a clean system when millions, in one case and thousands in the the other, have different hardware and very different software sets. My system has odd adventures that even change some basic Windows internals. A program that would not run after a Windows update now, several months later, begins to work again. Regardless, I want a perfect system:eek:. There was no caveat when I sent my money to N3V:eek:.
Dick

Is it time for this thread again?

On the plus side it won't be long before TRS2018 is the worst version ever and T:ANE is transformed into the dream version that every sane Trainzer should be using. Bring back TRS04 is better than TRS06 I say! ;)

Is it time for this thread again?

On the plus side it won't be long before TRS2018 is the worst version ever and T:ANE is transformed into the dream version that every sane Trainzer should be using. Bring back TRS04 is better than TRS06 I say! ;)

Users seem to have forgotten that TS12 would suddenly decide to validate 1,000's of assets for no obvious reason and bring your system to a crawl. TANE doesn't do that. TS12 only has one Content Manager window so you constantly have to save filters. TANE can have as many CM windows as you can handle.

The last time I reloaded TS04 the graphics looked clunky although I thought it was the ants pants back then. TS06 was better, so was TS09 and TS10. We need to move on and demand more.

No. We can never give N3V "a break". That's not what we're supposed to do. We are the customers, and it's up to us to always demand only the best quality products from them. If we give them "a break", they will start slacking; producing horrible quality products, doing everything they can to cut back as much money as they can from going into the product while at the same time charging more and more for it for lessening quality products, eventually it will devolve so bad they go bankrupt because no one will buy it anymore etc. etc.

So no. We do not, cannot give N3V "a break". We must always demand the highest quality products from our developers. Always keep them on their toes, working to the best of their abilities. We do that with every other company we buy products from, it should be no different with N3V.

IMHO "moaning" won't bring a business down; it's if we stop "moaning" they'll go down.

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Hate me for saying this. It's only an opinion.

No. We can never give N3V "a break". That's not what we're supposed to do. We are the customers, and it's up to us to always demand only the best quality products from them. If we give them "a break", they will start slacking; producing horrible quality products, doing everything they can to cut back as much money as they can from going into the product while at the same time charging more and more for it for lessening quality products, eventually it will devolve so bad they go bankrupt because no one will buy it anymore etc. etc.

So no. We do not, cannot give N3V "a break". We must always demand the highest quality products from our developers. Always keep them on their toes, working to the best of their abilities. We do that with every other company we buy products from, it should be no different with N3V.

IMHO "moaning" won't bring a business down; it's if we stop "moaning" they'll go down.

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

I wonder how companies ever managed to keep going without the wisdom of the internet to show them the way ;)

Did Microsoft fix all the "stuff" in Vista before they released Win 7? Should software developers stop work on any future versions until the current version is perfect? In the real world a business that does not plan ahead is dead!
Well, Microsoft did fix many of the issues that Windows 8 brought to it's users. Like Vista, no one liked Windows 8. What did Microsoft do to fix it? They made Windows 10, claim it's the final version and will revive service and security updates from now on. Also, Microsoft gave free copies of win10 to win7 and 8 users and now everyone is now happy.

If N3V follows the same footsteps by making TRS2018 a kickass final good version and hands out free upgrade licences to TANE users then heck I'm good and won't complain.

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Here, here!!! :Y: :clap::Y:

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

This guy is 100% correct! I'm am happy someone is speaking up! What happens when we let companies have a break? They end up doing things to see how far they can get away with.

Look at Rockstar Games for example. They turned GTA V from a fantastic game into a grindfest where they constantly push in game currency for $100 to players and they only gets you one or two bits of content. Other option is to treat the game as your second job and prehaps work a week to buy that same in game content. No matter how much you point that out to their players, they will constantly spend real money for in game currency without question.

Look at the airline industry in North America. What happens when customers for years give them a break? They end up selling more seats on a plane than available for a given flight and assaults paying customers who dares question their removal before takeoff.

So yes. Question motives of companies you deal with. Don't be afraid to not buy their products if it's crap. Push them on putting out quality. If they don't, let them fail.

Back