Here we go again TRS2018

How can N3V be ready to announce a new version of TANE when the original one has not been playable since release. I have not been able to enjoy or play with TANE since release. Every time something was broken and unstable. How do you expect for people to buy a new version of TANE when the original one is still broken. N3V took a Tasmanian Devil put a dress on and called it TANE. Now they want to fit it with high heel shoes and call it TRS2018. They should call it PAIN because it's a pain in the butt to work with TANE with all the broken assets one after another. In the most simplest of vocabulary, not one individual who supported N3V thru Kickstarter for T:ANE or those who purchased after release needs to invest in another version. These individuals got a poorly developed and misguided product that even after a 7 month Service Pack could not make stable. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, you lost me as a revenue generating customer for future advancements, PERIOD. P.S. I'm still waiting for Prototypical Freight System.

This may be one of the least informed threads ever posted on the forums.

TRS2018 isn't finished, nor is it even it's name.
TANE is as playable as anything. Mine never crashes, and if it does, it's an easy fix (Database repair takes 15min)
Your issue sounds like user error.
If there are broken assets, they weren't built correctly by 3rd party users.
Not going to respond to rant about your opinions and things
Prototypical freight system? Heard of waybills or Dap's CMTM? No? Because, like everything else that you've said has proven, you're ill informed.

Because they want more money :D

In all seriousness TRS2018 is not just an update to T:ANE - it'll probably reuse some components or something but it's essentially a new game.

IMHO it's pretty hopeless to think N3V will actually fully fix "everything" in Trainz ever again, that stopped happening a long time ago from what I've heard :)

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Different people - different expectations. I was one of the higher level Kickstarter backers, and I will buy TRS2018 if it has new features which make it worthwhile to me.

In the (very unlikely) event that it doesn't, then I'll stick with T:ANE which I have found very usable and enjoyable version of Trainz - the best version so far in fact.

I'm sure other people more knowledgeable than me will query your assertion of "all the broken assets". That's not been my experience, but I'm probably using different content to you.

I am very happy with T:ANE and how it runs.

When T:ANE was first released yes it wasn't the best but after SP1 and SP2 I now think it's the best Train Simulator out there.

I will definitely be buying TRS2018 (or whatever it's name will be) on day one.

its true it wasn't usable early on, but for the last year its been my preference over 2012, which was a true demonoid with its endless database rebuilds that could take hours . my issiue was working on a mac, I now have a stable system with Tane and its working well on both platforms. Windows users should have had a pretty good experience in general, if you haven't it may well be your system contributing
I've criticized it a lot but now, its pretty good considering all the content that has been made by so many people.
it is disappointing though when purchased routes have some engines that have wheels that spin backwards , sloppy stuff ..........

I know about the waybills and that is so old and have you heard cmtm is broken because quick drive v2 is faulty. The erroneous call sequence you have is probably a call from QuickDrive rule v2 to the Global consist Library which is no longer supported or included in Tane delivery. And QuickDrive rule v2 is also no longer supported under Tane.

Just delete from your sessions QuickDrive rule v2 and replace it by the standard QuickDrive rule from N3V in Tane and your sessions should now work fine as they will no longer call the Global Consist Library that no longer exist in Tane .
Quoted from PGUY response.
Dap been looking for someone to help him fix cmtm for single mode and multiplayer and build a GUI for it.

David.

Indeed... here we go again...

With another thread like a 100 others.

The -'s and +'s, the never ending War of Trainz.

I'm with the +'s, Tane is big fun!

+

...IMHO it's pretty hopeless to think N3V will actually fully fix "everything" in Trainz ever again, that stopped happening a long time ago from what I've heard :)

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Well Microsoft have never managed it so we can hardly expect a small company like N3V to do it.

We go through this circus every time Auran/N3V have released (or even whispered about) a new version.

It does not matter how many examples you can give of the same thing happening in other software products (e.g. teddytoot's example above) or in consumer products in general, there are always those who cry foul - "How dare they even think about a new version when Trainz [UTC/TRS2004/TRS2006/TC2/TC3/TS2009/TS2010/TS12/TANE/TMR17] is still [not working to my satisfaction/full of bugs/doesn't have the right colours on its DVD box]".

Likewise, pointing out that Auran/N3V is a commercial company, not a philanthropic charity, and needs to make money to stay in business has no effect.

I am looking forward to a new Trainz release. Its been over 2 years now since TANE was released - ready or not - and I think it is time for an upgrade. During that same period I went from 32 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit Windows 8 to 64 bit Windows 10 (and its various service pack upgrades).

Bring on 128bit Trainz I say, and the sooner the better!

Hmmmmm, unfortunately it seems this side of the "pond" is always 2 steps behind our European trainsters.....whether model railroading (Marklin was always ahead of the curve) or Train Sims such as EEP and not the watered down steam versions I mean the full German EEP, I believe version 13 is the most recent and sadly, looking at version 8 which is about 5 years old, STILL seems to be ahead of Trainz and TS20?? ...The trainz team should be looking at what's being done in Europe (Germany). My gosh the vehicles that they have programmed are decades ahead of us....look at some the newer youtube vids to see what I mean....amazing is understated when it comes to watching some of those routes/layouts....I guess the other interesting thing about EEP is its pricing structure....most all of the add ons are extremely inexpensive as compared to the "payware" over here..........................and what variety they have. A business model that a lot of other software companies should look at.
On the flipside I do think Tane has some decent things going for it and hopefully the command structure will only get better as more updates come up...................Most of the fun for me is in detailing layouts which is why I do enjoy Tane and TMR17....but man, I may start learning additional languages to try out other countries train programs.....

Let's all hope that a new iteration of Trainz, whatever it may be named, won't be a pain in the arse for all the content creators out there!

Personaly speaking, I would be very reluctant to put my hands in my pocket for another half baked saga of updating and patching to get a workable sim; if that attitude/opinion slams the door in my face as regards Trainz then so be it, I shan't worry!

Rob.

I personally prefer TANE over TS12 by far - sure it has some bugs and stuff here and there but we can live with it.

As for broken content, in most cases it can be repaired manually (with a few exceptions like SpeedTrees)

N3V could not realistically be expected to make every asset ever made work in Trainz, considering there are probably close or above a million anyway :D

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

As Pware says, here we go again.

We don't know what the new version is going be like. If it's like anything we've had in the past, 95% of the content we've installed and downloaded will carry over into the new version without problem, and we'll have to update or repair that stuff that does not. The good news this time around is we have the CRG who is busily updating and repairing content which is on the DLS. With that occurring, this will save a lot of time on our part, through their hard work upfront, when it comes time to move on from T:ANE as they repair and update the assets to the DLS.

Like any product, whether it's electronics, automobiles, and less tangible items such as software, nothing can be static. If a company remains static, their product becomes dead and forgotten. I know, I worked for a company that did just that. In 2006, they discontinued R&D and eliminated a good number of sales people. They no longer were looking forward or producing new products, and had moved into a survival mode of selling their old products. The world moved on and they did not, and sadly after nearly 20 years in business, they closed their doors. That is not what we want here, and it's really a good thing that Tony is investing in his company, which sadly didn't happen to the company I worked for.

sigh, why not wait until the actual announcement of the next version before declaring that the sky is falling. With only the barest hint of a new rendering system, which by the way looks to be very interesting, we've already got a bunch of doom and gloom. Not saying it will all be rosy and sunshine but really. TANE SP2 HF1 might not be perfect but it is hardly a big fail. Works fine on my less than top notch rig.

Appropriate title for another moaning thread, sometimes wonder what exactly some people are doing here if they think so little of Trainz.

Appropriate title for another moaning thread, sometimes wonder what exactly some people are doing here if they think so little of Trainz.

Why shouldn't folk moan about Trainz if they feel that Trainz isn't delivering up to expectations for whatever reason? They've every right to. Trainz hasn't been gifted to us, we've all had to fork out good, hard earned money for it!

Rob.

How can N3V be ready to announce a new version of TANE when the original one has not been playable since release. I have not been able to enjoy or play with TANE since release. Every time something was broken and unstable. How do you expect for people to buy a new version of TANE when the original one is still broken. N3V took a Tasmanian Devil put a dress on and called it TANE. Now they want to fit it with high heel shoes and call it TRS2018. They should call it PAIN because it's a pain in the butt to work with TANE with all the broken assets one after another. In the most simplest of vocabulary, not one individual who supported N3V thru Kickstarter for T:ANE or those who purchased after release needs to invest in another version. These individuals got a poorly developed and misguided product that even after a 7 month Service Pack could not make stable. Fool me once, shame on me. Fool me twice, shame on you. Fool me three times, you lost me as a revenue generating customer for future advancements, PERIOD. P.S. I'm still waiting for Prototypical Freight System.

I think you should either evaluate your system's current configuration, or evaluate your current installation of T:ANE. If your hardware/operating system are needing some help, that may be the problem. If you have NEVER updated or put the latest updates to T:ANE, you have a problem.

Interesting to note that the new Apple iPhone about to be released will no longer support 32bit apps from the Apple App Store. Contrast that with N3Vs continuing efforts to maintain compatibility with older assets.

Back