A Recent Health Event

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
So I'm Epileptic and last night I had a seizure. Unfortunately, I couldn't get much sleep last night due to my arm hurting like h---. This morning I had my mom check my arm and see if I broke a bone in it or something else. She told me that I had a few tight muscles; then came the shoulder, and things changed. She felt it, then felt my left shoulder. The right shoulder didn't feel right. So me and my dad went to the ER. Fortunately, there was no one else in the waiting room ahead of us, so we got to see the doctor pretty quick. After a few X-Rays, it was discovered that I had a dislocated shoulder. So, pretty much three hours, fifteen minutes after getting there, we were walking out the door. I now have my right arm restrained in a pair of Velcro cuffs, one at the wrist and one above the elbow, which are Velcroed to belt with Velcro on it. I now have full movement in only my left arm, which is something I need to get used to for a while. Now tomorrow's Railfest at the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum (TVRM) and come h--- or high water, I'M GOING! I've also already got two tickets to the event, anyway, so I'm not going to waste those $50.00 I spent on the tickets. Another reason why I've got to go is that my dad submitted three pictures he took at the TVRM to them to possibly be featured in their annual calendar, and one of them will, in fact, be featured in their calendar. Because of this the TVRM has asked us to be at their Grand Junction Depot at 9:00 for a special presentation/unveiling of the calendar. So, even if I end up in a wheelchair, I'M STILL GOING!

Have a great Day. You got the spirit and mindset right I think. Things got complicated, your dealt with it and still want to make a wish happening, I like that thinking! :)

Wish you the best Day and best of luck with the healing of the arm.

Linda

Ditto on that , Enjoy your day on the Rail, better than be laid up in bed,,,,,,,Safe Travels and get better soon........

Sorry to hear about you having an seizure and
my best friend Michaela always has seizures

btw I was at TVRM for railfest and I go every year

Sorry to hear about you having an seizure and
my best friend Michaela always has seizures

btw I was at TVRM for railfest and I go every year

I've only missed Railfet just once. I normally go on Sundays instead of Saturdays because I work a full shift on Saturdays and I work a half-shift on Sundays. By going to Railfest on Sundays, I get a full days pay (by working on Saturday) instead of going on Saturday and only getting a half-shift pay (by working on Sundays). I just got back from Railfest a hour-and-a-half ago, so now I'm in the living room on my computer with The Weather Channel on, who are reporting on Hurricane Irma. I saw a lot of cars on Interstate 75 with Florida license plates heating north, with emergency vehicles heading south, into the eye of the storm (pun intended).

UPDATE

Well I went to the doctor yesterday, and he said I have to wear this brace for two weeks before I go back to him. He'll then decide if I need to wear it for longer, if I can take it off, and if I do or don't need physical therapy. I might have to wear this brace for up to eight weeks. Last Friday, I suggested to my Mom to have my Grammy (my mom's mom) come down and 'take care of poor old me.' She (my mom) said no, adding that 'she would have a heart attack and die' from seeing the state of our house. My sister's coming up from Atlanta this weekend though, so I'll have someone here to help me out, if I need it.

UPDATE

So I went back to the doctor yesterday and he said I could finally take that brace off. Now I've got to go to physical therapy. I will also be off work for another month too. This is a double-edged sword: I get more time to work on my routes, but I also don't get a paycheck from work. If the seizure had occurred on Friday at work instead of Wednesday, I would be getting workman's comp.

Sorry to hear this Jordon. I'm glad you're on the mend.

I don't think workman's comp would cover something like this. If you hurt your shoulder at work, on the other hand, that would be different. It's too bad you don't have any sick time to cover your time off work. Some companies also offer short term disability if an employee is going to be out for more than 3 weeks. Check with your HR (human resources) department about that. You don't always get all your pay, but at least it's something.

PT isn't bad. It's a workout, with weights and special exercises. I've done it more than a few times myself. They visits usually last about an hour at the most.

FINALLY!

So at the end of November, my doctor I've been seeing gave me the all clear to go back to work. My first day back was Saturday (December 9th) and since I work weekends, I also worked yesterday also. So now, everything's back to normal.

Here we go again . . .

Once again, another seizure that resulted in, again, a dislocated shoulder. And it was the same shoulder, my right shoulder. I just got back from my Grammy's (my Mom's Mom) after going up there on Saturday, December 30th, to celebrate the New Year. I had the seizure on Friday, December 29th. What a great way to finish out the year. Now I may have to have surgery and get a pin put in my shoulder to keep it from popping out again.

UPDATE

When I went to the doctor last week, he ordered an MRI of my shoulder that also included having dye injected into me that will help the doctor see what's wrong with my shoulder. He called it MRI-some-long-word. I had the MRI on the 10th. But before the MRI, I had to have some X-Rays done so that the doctors will know where they should focus the MRI. They then injected the dye into my shoulder and then I had the MRI. Thank goodness that I only had to take off my shirt and put on a gown, because we'd have a problem if they told me to take everything off. Unfortunately, when I had the MRI, it made that loud humming sound that I hate. I will say that I had a MRI twenty years ago. During the MRI, to take my mind off the loud humming it was making, I thought about the trains Siemens makes, as the MRI I was in was also made by Siemens.

UPDATE #2

So I just came back from the doctor and he said I need surgery on the shoulder. Two weeks from now, I'll be seeing the surgeon and we'll be discussing the surgery and go from there. Wonderful.

Why? Why me?

So I didn't need surgery, however, if I had dislocated my shoulder again, I'd need surgery. Well, it looks like I'll be getting that surgery. I just had another seizure on Friday and, again, dislocated my shoulder. I ended up going to the hospital at about 11:00PM and didn't get back home until about 4:00AM the next day. As I had my alarm set to wake me up at 8:00AM, I decided to change the alarm to wake me up at 12:00PM, which it did. I got out of the bed not long afterward and was not allowed to get on my computer for the whole day, so I am trying to catch up with what's been going on since Friday night. I'm going to see a neurologist to see what I can do to stop having seizures and not have my shoulder get f****d up every time that happens. Once again, my arm's back in that stupid sling that I hate so much. Hopefully there's a way I can stop dislocating my shoulder every time I have a seizure.

Sorry to hear about the troubles your body gives you. I share your hope that something can be done with it! Sounds awful. :-(

Linda

Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Hopefully your neuro can find something to treat these seizures. They've made some great advances in neuroscience and neurology for your condition and many others including Parkinson Disease and MS.

I have some Friends in the past with Seizure issues, and I can't imagine how difficult and painful, it has been for you! I will be praying

that somewhere, somehow, a Doctor will have a way to help slow this terrible thing down or least improve your quality of life.

My God Bless and give you the Strength during this most difficult time.

Back