Hurricane Irma

My wife is from Key West and members of her family not only helped build the 7 mile bridge they were lost in the 1935 hurricane.

BTW - its not true the 1935 hurricane killed the FEC KW extension - it was up and running within 2 weeks. The automobile was the source of its demise. Flagler was smart enough to see the hand writing on the wall and bail out before it was too late. This is documented in several books on the subject of the KW extension. Quite interesting reading - particularly its construction.

Ben

As of 1:00 am the storm has bared it's teeth here. The winds are strong. but just a little rain. I was standing in the parking lot and the wind is almost strong enough to knock you off your feet. At least as you can tell we still have power although it has gone on and off a number of times.

Dave

6:55 AM in Augusta GA all we have so far is rain and wind and since i work for csx they closed up shop not long after i got back from Atlanta on Sunday. hotels are full of florida plates and hotels that nornally cost 50 for a day and night have up prices to almost 500-600 for 3-4 nights. Looks like csx is still running trains coal train i took a crew to get just passed by this morning heading south but the said they were not running to savannah right now and the train yard in town is full.

Last edited:
Hoping my good buddy Ish6 and family and all trainzers are safe and well in Florida

Hi All --
(Thank U buddy for the kind thought!)

822am now -- I live in St Pete, Florida --- We ride it out at home! Just one falling tree --- I never lost power! The wind gusts was parallel our windows, so that never became an issue -- We have a balcony, and stuff inside never really moved so things went better then expected for us here!

Ish

This morning we woke up and thankfully still have power and no damage to the condo. A few trees were knocked down and the parking lot is a mess but I feel we came through it OK. On the Trainz side I am getting a lot of work done on the L&A route.

Dave

It was a 4 as far as I know when it hit me. Lost power (probably due to a crap breaker in the local substation) and power was restored within 20 hours, other than that, walked away unscathed. Patio almost flooded, but that was due to the eye being dead west of me. Had everything cleaned up before the power came back on and now I'm back at trainz once more.

I'm a bit more south of you, thai. I'm near west palm beach.

We've got a Tropical Storm Warning in effect here until Monday, September 11th, 7:45 PM EDT
We've got a Tropical Weather Statement in effect here until Monday, September 11th, 8:00 PM EDT
We've got a Flash Flood Watch in effect here until Tuesday, September 12th, 8:00 AM EDT

It's been raining all day, not a downpour, just a steady shower. The winds occasionally pick up, but then quickly die down. When the wind's pick up, they're not strong enough to throw objects around outside, but strong enough to make the tree branches move around. Because the desk my computer is on is next to a window, I'm able to keep an eye on the weather relatively easily.

EDIT:
@Bendorsey: Using the distance UnumProvident155 is from you and me, and a Greek guy named Pythagoras, I live 122 miles, 1,383 feet, and 4.32 inches east-south-east of you.

Last edited:
Now time to deal with the after effects. I'm lucky as I have power and water, but many in the area don't. I drive a concrete mixer and I'm home again today with no work so more Trainz time:clap:. Also the restaurants that are open you can't get in them with a handgun and a fist full of $50's :hehe:. I guess later I'll see if I can get some fresh food later today.

Dave

I am glad to hear you got through it without any major damages, and also glad to hear your younger made it over to you without anything serious happening.

There's a few others who posted here that haven't come back to post again. Lets hope they're doing alright and we'll hear from them again soon.

All right folks, I am here to tell you My crew are all doing good. Damages are very negligable and all is quickly returning to business as usual. My house did hold power despite places around here are without. My job is in a powerless spot and is stuck using the power generator to keep the cold goods preserved. (Publix) If they cannot get a system in place to keep it gassed, We have to close down again till power company gets power running. Not bad for the moment as I did stuff the rainy day fund for such emergencies. Let's hope FL recovery and repair is a smooth quick process and we all see tomorrow with peace of mind and calm of heart.

i live in polk county florida, they eye of irma went over the top of us,we lost power for 24 hours and alot of wind damage, but 60% of our county is still out of power, along with 4 million other Floridians.

Back