Article: Blog - Physically Based Shaders in Trainz

Is the main image an in-game screenshot? The ballast looks very three-dimensional.

Last edited:
It looks like T:ANE was supposed to look like :)

It's exciting news, will it require better video cards for the same fps performance?

As someone that has been wanting this sort of new material update for months (years), virtual tears of joy run down my cheek. :D

Wait... did your blog post accidentally announce Trainz Railroad Simulator 2018? Or was it announced elsewhere that I haven't noticed yet?

Fantastic news!

Trainz A New Era moves to another New Era.

I can't wait for this one.

Cheers,
Roy :udrool:

I know it's probably a bit early to ask, but as amazing as this looks, what kind of impact will it have on PC performance? If it lags NASA's best PC (and it looks like it could) then I'm not certain I'll be able run this.

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Another reason to upgrade that old GTX1080. Can't wait to see the first in game examples of this new material being used. They did mention that even many old materials will look much better "... it's possible for us to automatically retrofit the PBR techniques to existing assets ..." so it should not be an all or nothing case.

Now about TRS2018, was the T:ANE label a one-off and we're now reverting to how they used to be called?

This is what I've been waiting for in the Trainz series. It's about time! Glad to see PBR will be used in TRS2018, pre-order day one for me!

Another reason to upgrade that old GTX1080. ...

I wonder if this explains the question about GPUs in the TrainzDev forum? My GTX780Ti is starting to look very ancient although it runs TANE very nicely.

If I need to buy a couple of the latest Pascal architecture video cards to run TS18/Next/Son of TANE/whatever, then this hobby is going to get very expensive. :p

Back