Upgrading PC, RAM or Video Card?

Hey everyone, I am considering my next upgrade for my PC that I bought a few months ago, and I am wondering what my next upgrade should be, what would be wisest.

My current PC specs are:

Processor: AMD FX-6300 3.50 GHz six-core
Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX-460 with 2GB VRAM
RAM 8.00 GB

I am wondering if I should spend approximately $50 to get an additional 8GB RAM or save up a few hundred for a better graphics card - I'm pretty sure that a better graphics would benefit more, but I am not exactly the richest person on earth.
Can an extra 8GB RAM really boost my T:ANE frame rates noticeably or should I wait until next year to install a better graphics card?

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

Personally, I'd wait a while and then go down the graphics card route. I can't say that I noticed all that much difference when I doubled my RAM. I went from 16GB to 32GB and things seemed pretty much the same -but I spend most of my time route building in Surveyor, not running trains. However, when I upgraded to a better graphics card the difference was immediate and very satisfying.

Cheers

Dave

Apparently Trainz utilizes VRAM moreso than system RAM so as cyberdongreen states - go down the graphics card route, although your current 2Gb of VRAM should be adequate.

Rob.

GPU is the way to go, but it all depends on what you can afford. If you can get a GTX 980 or GTX 1060 then you'll probably double your frame rate. If you're looking at a lesser upgrade then it really comes down to whether you feel an extra 30% (or whatever) is worth your money.

Extra RAM isn't going to help you at all (for playing Trainz, anyway).

chris

Thanks everyone for their advice! Since you all know from experience, I will take the route you suggested and go for GPU.

Cheers,
TrainzPlayer14

I have HP Envy laptop, upgraded Win from 7, then Ram double from 8 to 16, then 4200rpm 1Tb, to Samsung SD, all good moves, however my biggest problem is GPU, it's shared (built in) on Mother board, good idea, we'll you pay less for integrated, vs separate and more costly and generally upgradable?

What do think is better system, I've been playing with computers for 35 yrs, performance wise, non integrated is best way to go, and 4 megs of VRam if you can afford it?

Working in I.T. largest mistake for Win Sys, was under Ramming the system, because we were told 1-2 ram was enough, I can't tell you how much productivity was lost because they didn't get how important Ram for system and VRAM was needed for Video .

I hope this helps, because my next laptop will be GPU upgradable, not integrated. Trainz is a hog like Windows, the more Ram n Video, the Happier those 2 are.....

As others have said. Go for a new graphics card. I have a GTX1070. I can recommend it. I run TANE in 4k on that card.

USA Prices are around $439,99. https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Support-Graphics-08G-P4-6173-KR/dp/B01GX5YWAO

Edited to add. Of course the rest of your computer has to be good enough to support the card. So the motherboard is very important here.

I was thinking of going this route as well, but with Bitcoin miners making the prices sky high on the new cards, I think I'll end up going with a 980 Ti, which you can find on eBay for around $350, and has effictively identical performance to the 1070 (aside from the power draw).

Back