An idea for Jointed Rail's next route:

MTH_ELECTRIC_TRAINS

7 Year Trainz Vet
My idea for your guy's next route is the Marias Pass. However, this is ONLY a suggestion and I do not expect you, or anyone else, to go and make the route.

I know it has been done already, but ONLY by HP Trainz. They don't even support N3V and Trainz anymore and I think it would be great to see a MODERN, 2017 version of the Marias Pass. HP Trainz made one that was ALMOST up to date but not quite 2017 or even in the 2000's for that matter. That was the Marias Pass Route X. I think Jointed Rail should re-make the route in 2017 (the year the route is set in) instead of what seems to be the 80s or 90s in the Marias Pass Route X.

Last edited:
I'm sure JR have a better handle on things... Legacy of the BN is close enough to the Marias Pass lol

Now the Surf Corridor between LA and SD... There's a route that'd generate some $..

Marias has been done to death on other platforms. I agree, the corridor between LA and SD would be an excellent addition to the library. Powder River would also be new and a revenue generator.

I think HP Trainz has the handle on Marias Pass. I wouldn't be surprised if you see another incarnation of it in another version. Right now we're working on several routes, all of which will include full RR packs. 2 of these routes will be complete redo's of some of the classic routes we've had in TRAINZ over the years including some routes from Gfisher. George has been kind enough to give us permission to redo a few routes. Others will be prototypical and another 1 or 2 will be complete fictional routes all loaded with new content, etc.

Another west coast route is something we will certainly add to the list!

Thanks.

Mike

Also to get Marias looking good it would be fairly taxing on a PC to get all the trees and mountains in all the scenery is very big! I guess you could argue the same for a route running through a city too though.

Now the Surf Corridor between LA and SD...
That'd be awesome actually, are you doing the trackwork for me?

Last edited:
I find having a newer Marias Pass would be nice. HP Trainz hasn't redone it yet and it really is experimental ONLY in T:ANE. Also, it HAS NEVER been made in the modern era past the 1980s or 90s. I would love to see the route as it is seen today in 2017 instead of 10 to 30 years ago. The original route for TRS2006 was, again, based in the 70s or 80s I think.

Marias Pass transfers to Tane with a bit of work and looks and runs well.
Cheers,
Mike

That is great! I really do wish there was a free one out there. It came with TRS2006 but was only a very small section of the entire route. It actually still exists today and it is on the DLS. But again, it is a very short section of the route.

Last edited:
If you bought the North American Driver Edition of 2006 (basically TRS06 early release if I remember right), you actually could play the full version, as it came with that version of 2006. Many many hours were consumed by young me playing that route on that version.

Generally speaking though if you are going to find a route done very prototypically and at that size, you can reasonably expect to have to pay for it. It is not particularly common to find a route like that at that quality for free.

I would totally pay for a Jointed Rail version of the Marias Pass route. If i recall correctly, the HP-Trainz route was made for TS04, then ported to TS06, and then ported to TS10...with minimal changes between versions. It still looks like a route made in TS04 in my opinion. An updated route would surely be welcome, and i'm sure it'd be a great seller.

One problem with a realistic prototype map this is length, 100-200-500 miles. Second problem, this is you naver can't repeat all enviroment, flora and custom objects.
Gameplay from point A to Point B will take real 20-40 hours, why? And all we have in out this is one thing, realistic DEM.
Proto realistic, "based on" that's perfect way for interesting gaming. But i love maps when it done pretty well, if we talk about prototype maps, if they has not more then 70-100 miles and have logistic sense. Not just signaling blocks without stations and yards.
IMHO

~Alex

Last edited:
Also to get Marias looking good it would be fairly taxing on a PC to get all the trees and mountains in all the scenery is very big! I guess you could argue the same for a route running through a city too though.

That'd be awesome actually, are you doing the trackwork for me?

Give me a DEM and I'll get on it. Do you want it done by tomorrow or Monday Richy?

Everyone here is right. You would have to pay for it considering its length. If Jointed Rail was to make it, I think the price should be the same or close to HP Trainz's price which is around $30. Don't make it $40 because I could buy a brand new copy of Trainz: Next (which is not out yet of course) for MOST LIKELY $60. That means for $20 more, I could just buy a new Trainz game instead of one route.

Also, it really takes you 20-40 hours to run the entire thing? That is insane! I wonder how the conductor and engineer cope with a drive that long and where they change crews. The route from HP Trainz, from what everyone said, still looks like the one from TRS2004. I agree, just from seeing even a few pictures of the thing, it looks, in some places, terrible! You would think they would at least attempt to make it look a little better right? Jointed Rail would probably do a much better job with the route. I mean just look at Coal Country, Mojave Subdivision, Legacy of the BN and other astonishing routes Jointed Rail has come out with!

I personally think that HP Trainz has Marias Pass covered, and even as it is now it looks very nice IMO.

On the other hand, I am totally down for the idea of the corridor between LA and SD, something like that in Trainz, I agree would generate some pretty serious revenue.

Just as a side note, with the current speed limits on the Marias Pass, it takes around 2-3 hours nonstop from Shelby to Whitefish.

Thanks for the info! I didn't think it would take as long someone previously said. But of course that is non-stop.

TrainzPlayer14 - I agree and disagree that HP Trainz has the route covered. They did a great job on it, but that was over 10 years ago! They have just converted the route up to newer versions of Trainz and they did add some more detail, changed the ground textures, trees, probably not the buildings because they are unique to the route, roads, signals, railroad crossings, etc. However, the route STILL has only been based in 1970s. It is not based any later on because the route only has SD40-2s on it along with the GP38-2s. The route is definitely based in the 70s and not the 90s or 2000s because there are no "modern" diesels on the route like the Dash-8 or 9, ES44, etc. Even MSTS's rendition of the route is more modern than theirs.

Perhaps you can modify it to such standards for your own use. You can always go change a few assets and place down modern engines, then you have a modern era Marias Pass route.

Last edited:
However, the route STILL has only been based in 1970s. It is not based any later on because the route only has SD40-2s on it along with the GP38-2s. The route is definitely based in the 70s and not the 90s or 2000s because there are no "modern" diesels on the route like the Dash-8 or 9, ES44, etc. Even MSTS's rendition of the route is more modern than theirs.

This is effectively just you wanting a specific route with specific content...

Considering that it came out with Phase IV Superliners on it, you might wanna check the era there buddy.

Back