Choppy video

I am having trouble with running trainz on my new computer setup. My computer is HP with a Quad-Core Processor, 8GB Memory, and 1 TB Hard Drive. My monitor is a BenQ GL 2760. In English, a huge improvement from my previous computer. However, when I runs trainz, the display is extremely choppy. This shouldn't be because this computer should preform far better than my previous setup, but it is preforming worse. I have tinkered with the display settings, but nothing is getting better. Am I doing something wrong, or is it my setup?

What is your video card ?

Running Trainz offline, stops allot of intrusions and process's, that are constantly bombarding your PC, that slow down your PC

I don't know how new your computer is, but have you downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for your 1060? With your PC configuration, you should be able to run most routes smoothly with at least medium to high graphics settings, depending on your draw distance. There will always be some demanding routes that cause some stuttering (I get that with my gtx 1080 on occasions), but many with similar rigs to you have reported very good experiences with TANE.

That having been said, I note that you are running TS12 which I believe stutters for everyone. Keep an eye out for TANE sale offers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I don't know how new your computer is, but have you downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for your 1060? With your PC configuration, you should be able to run most routes smoothly with at least medium to high graphics settings, depending on your draw distance. There will always be some demanding routes that cause some stuttering (I get that with my gtx 1080 on occasions), but many with similar rigs to you have reported very good experiences with TANE.

That having been said, I note that you are running TS12 which I believe stutters for everyone. Keep an eye out for TANE sale offers. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks, I'll take note of that. What's strange is that the video is as choppy as it would be with a large route as it is with a small route. I have a short test track that's an 8-square loop with 4 tracks, and the video is still choppy. Meanwhile, a larger and more complicated route, Indiana Western, runs exactly the same. I just feared it could be my computer, but like you said, it could just be the game

Thanks, I'll take note of that. What's strange is that the video is as choppy as it would be with a large route as it is with a small route. I have a short test track that's an 8-square loop with 4 tracks, and the video is still choppy. Meanwhile, a larger and more complicated route, Indiana Western, runs exactly the same. I just feared it could be my computer, but like you said, it could just be the game

I believe Vostrail is right. TS12 stutters as it is not that optimized for newer systems. However I use TS12 still to route build and then export the CDP's to TANE. I have a GTX1070 and can run TANE MAX settings with 15 km of draw distance also on 4K. TS12 gave me (even on this system) a weird stuttering performance. So I disabled vsync (that helped a lot in my situation). Now I have a reasonable performance for Surveyor. But TANE runs by far smoother. I get 120 FPS sometimes in TANE. But the combination with your motherboard is also very important. I run it on an I7-700 (Kaby-Lake) CPU architecture.

You have a GTX1060 which is a good card so why not try TANE when it is on sale. The latest builds are good enough and it is far smoother.

What are you're other computer parts? You have to make sure that the rest of your system is not a bottleneck. I advice 16GB of Ram in combination with an SSD.

Last edited:
I'm having a similar problem with choppy video in TANE. It's especially apparent when I'm using an external camera view on a steam loco, the piston rods "stutter" about 2-3 times each rotation.

It doesn't seem to matter which loco I'm driving, I've tried Big Boy, NKP Berkshire, Blue Comet, V&T Moguls, and they all do it.

I thought it might have been caused by a large amount of scenery, so I made a test track that's just a single undecorated baseboard with a circle of track on it. It didn't reduce the problem noticeably.

Windows 10
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7 GHz
8 GB Ram
1 TB HD
AMD Radeon HD 5570

(I know it's a few years old but with all the settings turned down it shouldn't have any trouble on a single baseboard with no scenery, right?)

Does the rest of the scene stutter when the piston rods do? Or just the rods?

Tane really does need 16 gigs of ram. But i don't think thats yer problem.

And with your system being a few years, it may not be too expensive to buy all new ram so you can get VERY FAST RAM.
I think people underestimate what very fast ram can do for a computer.
The clock rate of main ram is one of the most neglected computer specs ever.

If it were my system, id start with buying ram that could go faster than my motherboards max ram speed, and 16 gigs of it at least.
But that is only if you can set the clock settings on the ram in your bios, some computer makers are now getting rid of the ability to configure almost anything in bios or anywhere else.

--->If anyone is still running a computer today with their OS and games on a non-solid state hard drive they have already turned down a dead end.
Even old systems NEED a ssd.

I also would not use windows 10. Tane came out before windows 10, it was targeted for windows 7. And microcrap has never released an os that worked properly within 4 years of its release date.

Are you monitoring your system specs somehow, WHILE running tane? (temp of cpus, ram use, video use, cpu use, hard drive access rate, etc)
I have a second monitor that I put meters on that tell me readouts of my entire system.
This lets you see where the problem might be due to some readout going full tilt during the stutter.

Last edited:
Does the rest of the scene stutter when the piston rods do? Or just the rods?

Tane really does need 16 gigs of ram. But i don't think thats yer problem.

And with your system being a few years, it may not be too expensive to buy all new ram so you can get VERY FAST RAM.
I think people underestimate what very fast ram can do for a computer.
The clock rate of main ram is one of the most neglected computer specs ever.

If it were my system, id start with buying ram that could go faster than my motherboards max ram speed, and 16 gigs of it at least.
But that is only if you can set the clock settings on the ram in your bios, some computer makers are now getting rid of the ability to configure almost anything in bios or anywhere else.

--->If anyone is still running a computer today with their OS and games on a non-solid state hard drive they have already turned down a dead end.
Even old systems NEED a ssd.

I also would not use windows 10. Tane came out before windows 10, it was targeted for windows 7. And microcrap has never released an os that worked properly within 4 years of its release date.

Are you monitoring your system specs somehow, WHILE running tane? (temp of cpus, ram use, video use, cpu use, hard drive access rate, etc)
I have a second monitor that I put meters on that tell me readouts of my entire system.
This lets you see where the problem might be due to some readout going full tilt during the stutter.

What do you use to monitor your system specs?

What do you use to monitor your system specs?

I use a few different tools.

Free..
https://windows10gadgets.pro/

You need coretemp to get the temps of your processor to show in system monitor II
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

https://windows10gadgets.pro/pcandsystem/systemmonitorii/systemmonitorii.html
systemmonitorii.gif.pagespeed.ce.NQXzEd44H9.gif

https://windows10gadgets.pro/pcandsystem/gpumonitor/gpumonitor.html
gpumonitor.gif.pagespeed.ce.WygpGJncYV.gif

https://windows10gadgets.pro/pcandsystem/drivesmonitor/drivesmonitor.html
drivesmonitor.png.pagespeed.ce.HfaEkGBVek.png

https://windows10gadgets.pro/pcandsystem/topprocessmonitor/topprocessmonitor.html

tpmonitor.gif.pagespeed.ce.9m4LgilHEF.gif

You can add another top process monitor and change it to be a top memory monitor in its config.

These tools will arm you heavily, but beware the gadget subsystem uses resources also, but very very little, getting live system readouts is worth it.

Last edited:
Back