Railways prepare for total solar eclipse

oknotsen

Holder of a broom
USA: Amtrak is to run a special train on August 21 to enable people to reach one of the best locations for viewing the first total solar eclipse to be visible from the continental USA since 1979, and the first to be visible coast-to-coast since 1918.

The Eclipse Express organised in partnership with Illinois Department of Transportation and infrastructure owner Canadian National will run from Chicago and Champaign to Carbondale, Illinois, where totality will start at around 13:20 and have the longest duration at about 2 min 40 sec.

Return tickets cost $153 departing from Chicago Union station at 03.00 or $90 leaving Champaign at 05.05, arriving in Carbondale at 08.30. The return trip will depart at 17.15, giving passengers time to visit the local celebrations. Viewing glasses and a souvenir timetable will be supplied. The route is also served by regular Amtrak services.

Meanwhile, US railways have been warning people to keep off their tracks during the eclipse.

BNSF has been contacting communities along the eclipse’s path to emphasise that its normal operations will continue. ‘So everyone can safely enjoy the view, we are reminding community members that railroad tracks are private property and for their safety, the public should never gather anywhere on or near railroad tracks or right of way’, said Zak Andersen, Vice-President of Corporate Relations.

Norfolk Southern points out that an 80 km/h freight train would cover around 3·3 km during the duration of the eclipse, and would take more than 1·6 km to stop.

Union Pacific said there had been 15 total eclipses visible from the continental USA during the company’s history, and warned that wagons overhang beyond the rails and the public should keep well away from its tracks.
Source: Railway Gazette.

Well, to bad I have to see it from school.

WARNING TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO SEE IT WITH YOUR NAKED EYE: You will cause permanent eye damage resulting it either blindness, not being able to see certain things, or partial blindness. A 70 year old man warned people of this from seeing a partial eclipse with his naked eye for 20 seconds resulting in him almost being blind in his right eye. DO NOT WATCH THE ECLIPSE WITHOUT PROTECTION

Be advised there will be another total eclipse in seven years crossing from southwest to northeast USA.

Thanks Dave. I'm really excited to see our moon cross the sun and block out sunlight for 3 minutes! But RIP anyone who uses solar power :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Yes - in April of 2024 one will cross North America starting in Durango, Mexico and exiting in Nova Scotia, Canada. Length of totality varies of course but in most places the length of totality is around twice that of todays eclipse.

If you can hang around until August of 2045 one occurs with a maximum totality of 6 minutes 6 seconds in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

The maximum possible is around 7 and a half minutes but as you can guess they are really rare.

I see the talking heads on TV are in fine form already (and its just barely started in Oregon, lol).

Ben

Just back from my little Eclipse Trip

So I just came back from taking the Hiawassee River Rail Adventure's Copperhill Solar Special to Copperhill, Tennessee, and it was great. When we (my dad & I) got to Copperhill, I was surprised to see the Blue Ridge Scenic Railroad's train across the state border in McCaysville, Georgia. After having a meal, we went to the city park in McCaysville, where we propped up a couple of fold-up chairs and waited for the show to begin. Like an idiot, while the sun was being covered by the moon, I took a quick look at the sun without the sunglasses we brought with us to see what it looks like, which of course I now regret. The glasses I wear have those Transitions lenses, which turn dark when exposed UV rays from the sun, so I was thinking I would do better than those who wear glasses that don't have Transitions lenses, though not as good as using those sunglasses designed for eclipses. However, at the time I did not think about whether it protects from infrared light. After that regretful moment of stupidity, I resumed to watch the moon cover the sun with the sunglasses. What got everyone's attention was the streetlights start turning on when it was 2:27 in the afternoon (and was also the creepiest moment of this event); that's when people knew "it's show time!" When the moon covered up the sun, revealing it's corona (I think that's what it's caused), it was worth spending the $120.00 for two tickets for this event. After the eclipse was over, a guy singing nearby starting singing John Denver's 'Sunshine on my Shoulders', which was appropriate for the event. We then headed back for our train and went back to the station that we departed from. Overall, it's something I won't forget anytime soon. Now all I need to do is scrape up enough money to go to the Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's upcoming Railfest.

Yes - in April of 2024 one will cross North America starting in Durango, Mexico and exiting in Nova Scotia, Canada. Length of totality varies of course but in most places the length of totality is around twice that of todays eclipse.

If you can hang around until August of 2045 one occurs with a maximum totality of 6 minutes 6 seconds in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

The maximum possible is around 7 and a half minutes but as you can guess they are really rare.

I see the talking heads on TV are in fine form already (and its just barely started in Oregon, lol).

Ben

Hi Ben --
Very informative, sir! Thanks!
Ish

Back