Chesapeake & Ohio BL2

chrispearce

Dear All,

I have 'bitten the bullet' and begun a project to reskin Ben Neal's BL2 into C&O livery. It isn't straightforward but much progress has been made. I am intending to produce the 3 main liveries (blue/silver valancing, yellow/silver valancing and all silver valancing) to start with. I haven't experimented with Irfanview before so I am getting to grips.

I would wish, at long last, to upload them to the DLS in return for my nicking so much of other peoples' wonderful work so I can contribute something too.

Out of pure interest, how many people would be interested in such a model?

Chris.

I would wish, at long last, to upload them to the DLS in return for my nicking so much of other peoples' wonderful work so I can contribute something too.
As I am not familiar with Ben Neal's rules about his content or if you have spoken with him about it, but:
Be sure to first get formal permission of the original creator before uploading these reskinned assets as many creators do not allow this.

As I am not familiar with Ben Neal's rules about his content or if you have spoken with him about it, but:
Be sure to first get formal permission of the original creator before uploading these reskinned assets as many creators do not allow this.

Sound advice. Many thanks. However, Mr. Neal's Subpar website says that he encourages reskins as long as they are accredited to him. Obviously I will credit him with the actual loco. I am merely a painter. However, I will heed your advice and check thoroughly. A number of reskins of his BL2 are available on the DLS - just nothing C&O. I would like to address this.

Yes I am an that the one that I just can not get right as the blank skin provides by ben within the file has no defined marking for the wing shaped part of the body.

Yes I am an that the one that I just can not get right as the blank skin provides by ben within the file has no defined marking for the wing shaped part of the body.

Dear Sir, I began with one of your Bangor & Aroostock BL2s as the basis of my project. Thank you for your excellent work. You are right, there is no defining shape for the valancing but I am doing it on a pixel by pixel basis. However, it is not possible to avoid a very slight bleed-over onto the main body. I am working on this and am, so far, pleased with the results. If only I could suss out how to find my screenshots on my PC (I'm using TANE now) I could show you my progress.

Strange looking model that is...
Never seen it before.

Type "emd bl-2 demo" in google.

Pictures enough.

Many thanks. I have found a pic and saved it on my PC. Maybe I'll have a go. Doing the C&O version will be a great starting point. It's where the valance is a different colour to the main body that the challenge lies.

Strange looking model that is...
Never seen it before.

The Monon ran BL2s, too, and one is still running, at the Kentucky Railway Museum.

krm-bl2.jpg

I got to see another last year, running on the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley's "Tygart Flyer" excursion train in West Virginia, in Western Maryland livery, a true diesel railfan sight to behold!

The BL2 was pug-ugly, pretty much failed in the marketplace, and had multiple design flaws that were eliminated with the GP7, but it holds an important place in American railroad history: the transition from streamlined to hood diesels. I'm glad some have survived.

US-WV-000200-Edit-Edit-L.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the compliments. Hope to see some finished work screenshots coon as Chessie's paint on this unit is one of my favorites.

It's so ugly that it becomes a special one.
Would be nice to have some in my collection.

Don't know where you got this model, I can't find it on Ben Neal's site.

NO WAY...

Do you mean that?

Gonna have a look at once.

☼:hehe:☼

Yup, there are several.
Not the best quality, but it's a BL2
Seems to be that the older stuff always is made without a cab interior.

Thanks

Last edited:
If I had a Trainz BL2 I would create a huge hole, and run it into the crater, and watch it jump about, hopping and bopping up and down ... truly one for the "Ugly Trains" thread

I'd rather have a BLT with mayo

Last edited:
Back