Disappearing textures when updating to TANE SP2

Greetings Trainzers, I am hoping to consult the collective expertise on this forum about a problem I am noticing.

I am currently checking all my routes out after shifting from TS2010 to TANE SP2, and have noticed that some textures have disappeared, to be replaced by a texture that looks like the normal grey terrain grid, but rotated and scaled to match the now-missing textures.

This should be a fairly easy asset replacement process, but the problem is that I can't select this "grid texture", or even identify it for that matter.

What is the problem here? Is there a solution?

Hi anathoth71.

You will need to do a couple of things with the textures which is pretty easy.

1) Open the texture asset for editing and choose Show in Explorer.
2) Get the name of the texture, example - sg_tree109c.tga
3) Edit config.txt file

The following tags must be present in the texture asset and the texture needs to be listed twice:
texture "sg_tree109c.tga"
normal-texture "sg_tree109c.texture"

4) Save and close config.txt file when down.
5) Close Explorer Window
6) Run Images2TGA on the asset.
7) Submit
8) Check for errors (View errors and warnings).

The following tags must be present in the texture asset and the texture needs to be listed twice:
texture "sg_tree109c.tga"
normal-texture "sg_tree109c.texture"
The correct way to add a normal map to an existing ground texture is:
Add a normal map (.tga file) to the asset. This can be a simple 'flat' normal map.
Create a normal texture.txt file.
- Set the normal texture.txt 'primary' tag to the normal map (tga file) filename.
- Ensure that the normal texture.txt 'NormalMapHint' tag is set to 'normalmap'.
Add the 'normal-texture' tag to the config.txt with the value set to the normal map texture.txt name.

Leaving out the normal map hint means the normal map is not processed, which defeats the purpose of adding it. But if it is added it should be a proper normal map, not an image. Otherwise, don't include it (it's not required for ground textures OP is bringing from TS2010).

You will need to do a couple of things with the textures which is pretty easy.

Hi John, thanks, you are a legend as usual. So this is the way TANE has of telling me the texture image is not loading for some reason? Similiar to the green/white checkers with non-texture assets I presume?

Some of these textures won't allow changes unfortunately, they are listed as "base" assets under the status column in CM. Old Auran assets it seems, which will only allow me to Revert To Original. They still have compressed textures in them. Is there a way around this?

EDIT: my mistake, very few BASE status items are textures, there is a whole mixed bag of stuff in that category

Last edited:
Some of these textures won't allow changes unfortunately, they are listed as "base" assets under the status column in CM.
Many of these ground textures are showing with the incorrect texture because they are older versions which have overwritten the T:ANE versions when the route was installed. You should check each one for the versions that are installed, and if there is an earlier installed version, delete the newer version. If that doesn't solve the problem you can always re-install it and try to repair it. But the original installed T:ANE version should be used where possible. Also, check each one for a version downloadable from the DLS - often that one is already repaired for T:ANE.

There should not be any built-in or base ground textures that show with the green and white pattern.

There should not be any built-in or base ground textures that show with the green and white pattern.

Yeah, the grid texture I mentioned at the outset is indicative of a problem with a texture asset, while other kinds of assets show as green/white. I just need to remember what it indicates.

Thanks for the help Dan, hopefully I can sort it from here with these tips, much obliged.

If it's built-in content that is showing that issue, try reverting it to original if you can as this can help deal with issues like that.

Shane

The correct way to add a normal map to an existing ground texture is:
Add a normal map (.tga file) to the asset. This can be a simple 'flat' normal map.
Create a normal texture.txt file.
- Set the normal texture.txt 'primary' tag to the normal map (tga file) filename.
- Ensure that the normal texture.txt 'NormalMapHint' tag is set to 'normalmap'.
Add the 'normal-texture' tag to the config.txt with the value set to the normal map texture.txt name.

Leaving out the normal map hint means the normal map is not processed, which defeats the purpose of adding it. But if it is added it should be a proper normal map, not an image. Otherwise, don't include it (it's not required for ground textures OP is bringing from TS2010).

From what I found if it's not added, even if it's not used there are errors. The texture example I used was from TS2010 and is a Sir Gibby Murchison 2 texture. (Secret personal project...).

I just went through doing this process, among a bunch of other stuff, for quite a number of textures for this route as I imported it into T:ANE.

Back