Scottish Borders Rail - a minor news bit on extension?

rjhowie

Since that line was reopened it is the longest such bringing back at over 30 miles. to just beyond Galashiels. Seems a Councillor in Hawick on the Borders Council has raised the extending to Hawick and beyond to Carlisle and the national authorities say that they are exploring the issue., Whether that comes to anythingby the Edinburgh political lot remains to be seen but it is good that the subject is being looked at by the government.

I suspect poor robd that amigacooke may have been doing a kid on
:hehe:
as he lives down south from me up here in the northern part of the Kingdom of Gt Britain! Haha.

Anyway the raising of the matter at that level is of course important and there is a general assessment of the idea as much of the trackbed beyond the present end is still there although there are the odd places where there is a wee challenge. However that the existing challenge was never discarded meant that the longest re-opening in GB at over 32 miles up here in Scotland should get the rest of the old Borders route people doing something positive.

The commitment of the Scottish government to re-instating lines has been proved. It's the bit in merry old England that I'm dubious about.

Yes, I could have looked Hawick up, but I was feeling lazy at the time :)

Well I will say dear stedfast man (!) that we have been fortunate up here and have had the Maryhill suburban route in Glasgow, Larkhall Line, Alloa Line then that big part of the Borders route of over 30 miles. Makes a change for me to congratulate the powers that be in Edinburgh although I am still cautious about the long remaining bit to Hawick then Carlisle over the border. When you look on techy maps such as Google Earth and Bing there are wee bits which I suspect would add to the costs. However on a positive what has been done on the over 30 miles was done in time and cost. A typical exampole is the lovely town of Melrose where I stayed twice years ago and the station was more intact then than now plus a road re-alightment has effected the rail route and a typical added cost. Some time ago I did remember something about a short tunnel further down that would need re-sorting and so on. Do acknowledge that we have been more fortunate than our cousins down south.

I was mused when instead of stopping at Galashiels the track went just a little further to nowhere called Tweebank!
;)

The bad news is this.

That well over 1,100 trains have been cancelled and over 4,000 more than 5 minutes late. [FONT=Noto Serif, serif] This is ridiculous and in some mornings three trains close to each other not running. The good thing in general mezzoprezz0 is that 4 lines closed decades ago were re-opened in Scotland. Bet our cousins in England, Wales and Ulster are sighing in envy! Did go a while back on the Borders and was lucky there were no issues but many people are not getting this as they should be.[/FONT]

Well over 2 million passengers apparently since this 31 mile rail route was re-opened 2 years ago by The Queen. Apart from up here being the place for re-openings this is the longest closed route brought back so far in GB!

Back