Checking instances of an asset in a route

wallner

Is there a way to find out how many times an asset is used in/placed on a route?

I have created a large route over a few years which I am currently preparing for release. During the long building time, a huge amount of assets have ended up on the route. Currently about 3.200. I expect that a quarter to a third of such assets are only used once or twice on the route and could easily be replaced with other or similar assets also used on the route. Thereby, I could drive down the amount of used assets significantly which would make downloading and installing the route and its dependencies much quicker. It could also have a slight impact on the performance of the route in driver if less assets need to be loaded.

My problem is that I don't know how many times an assets has been used in the route. I would like to find out instances of usage of an asset and specifically those that are used only a couple of times. is there a way to get to this information? i am using TANE SP2.

As far as I know, there is no way using TANE, or any tools supplied in the TANE package, to achieve this.

There was a program that was under development by a user in these forums that, from the preliminary screen shots he posted, would be able to do exactly that. He made these posts some time ago (a year or more??) and nothing has been heard since so it may have been vapour-ware or ran into problems he could not resolve, or he simply lost interest. There were certainly a number of people who responded positively to his initial posts.

If you suspect an asset is only used a few times, you could try using the bulk replace tool to move it to a (new) layer - call it something like ''test." Then hide all layers except "test" and fly over your route to test your theory. If there are only a few instances, you can replace them before merging the "test" layer back into the route. Then repeat the process for other suspect assets. Not the most elegant of solutions but in the absence of anything else......

Would all instances be listed if you use the "Find asset' option, would just need counting then.
Cheers,
Mike

The names of the objects are recorded in the config.txt file in the string-table container. There is a tag for each object and a value which can change if you assign a new name to the instance.

If the objects are placed in the session layer then they will be in the session file and not the route file.

You could try copying the string-table contents into a spreadsheet program and sorting on the tag text. This should show up the duplicates by inspection. Haven't tried it so let us know if it works.

Trevor

There are two entries that would be of interest in the route config.txt file.

The string table ...

PHP:
string-table
{
  cnj_de_01                             "CNJ DE 01"
  cnj_de_05_stop                        "CNJ DE 05 Stop"
  cnj_de_01_stop                        "CNJ DE 01 Stop"
  avo_de_02_stop                        "AVO DE 02 Stop"
  cnj_de_05                             "CNJ DE 05"
  conara_junction_stockyard             "Conara Junction Stockyard"
  mt_nicholas_coal_loader_2             "Mt Nicholas Coal Loader 2"
  lle_tpl_02                            "LLE_TPL_02"
  stm_de_03                             "STM DE 03"
  st_pauls_river                        "St Pauls River"

}

This only shows those assets that have been given names by the creator and does not identify what the named asset is (e.g. a house, a station sign or a tree unless the creator has included that information in the name). The other file entry is the kuid table

PHP:
kuid-table
{
  0                                     <kuid2:316:37001:1>
  1                                     <kuid2:316:37036:1>
  2                                     <kuid2:523:1044:2>
  3                                     <kuid2:523:1103:2>
  4                                     <kuid2:523:1105:2>
  5                                     <kuid2:523:1106:2>
  6                                     <kuid2:523:1284:2>
  7                                     <kuid2:523:1354:2>
  8                                     <kuid2:523:1380:2>
  9                                     <kuid2:523:1398:2>
  10                                    <kuid2:523:1445:2>
  11                                    <kuid2:523:1447:2>
  12                                    <kuid2:523:1547:2>
  13                                    <kuid2:523:1597:2>
  14                                    <kuid2:523:1599:2>
  15                                    <kuid:523:23269>

}

This is a numerically ordered list of all the assets that have been added to the route. Note that each item only appears once so if an asset, such as a tree, has been added many times to the route, its kuid will only appear once in this table.

To make sense of these lists would require some work.

Back