Checking for missing assets before downloading?

cj95

Like the title says...anyway of checking a route for missing assets before committing the time and bandwidth to downloading the thing only to find that its incomplete?

Its kinda frustrating as lately I've been batting 0% at actually finding complete routes.

I afraid there isn't a way, to my knowledge, however a lot of routes use dependencies from third-party websites, you'll just have to look up the missing kuids in your browser, or you could try Trainz KUID Index.

Like the title says...anyway of checking a route for missing assets before committing the time and bandwidth to downloading the thing only to find that its incomplete?
Stop the downloading as soon as you have the route and before the dependencies start to download. Then look at dependenicies for the route and see how many are Unknown. The route itself is usually a small part of the total download.

Unfortunately not, creators should ideally add to the description where to get non DLS stuff and not assume we all have all the DLC and third party non DLS stuff installed. Afraid with routes, if I don't know the creator and there's nothing on the forum about it, I don't bother downloading it.

Just to mention though sometimes you can find the missing items by right click, show asset versions and find there is an updated kuid2 version that Content manager hasn't pulled in.

Hi cj --

"Its kinda frustrating as lately I've been batting 0% at actually finding complete routes."

Yep. That's one of the "features" of Trainz. And one I find extremely frustrating too.

If your score is 0% you've been looking in the wrong place. Try searching for routes and layouts by "philskene". Guaranteed only 100% built-in or Download Station assets. See, for example:

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?140193-New-narrow-gauge-layout-the-Cilie-Oldpharts-Mining-RRCo

Phil

I appreciate the replies.

I guess its just frustrating figuring out which route I want....then finding the correct version....then figuring out where all the pieces need to go, or where they came from.

I like the game so far (sim...sorry) but my stupidity seems to get tin the way of lots of things.

Phil, I'll check out your stuff, thanks.

The included link is interesting but toy trains layouts really are not my thing. I appreciate the heads up though.

Last edited:
That's fine. Those little layouts are meant to be fun and not to taken too seriously. But I do try to follow prototypical practices. Maybe just try one of the sessions.

Good luck with your search. If you find anything that is a) complete and b) interesting, let me know.

Phil

Back