Colorado Rail Network

Trying to create parts of Colorado's rail network...
Routes trying to do is Moffat Line from Denver to Fraser, CO. The Front Range Sub from Denver to Longmont, CO. The Joint Line from Denver to Colorado Springs, CO.
At the end of each areas from Denver would have portals to create trains and to send them to further locations.
So far it's coming together... VERY SLOWLY lol as my time available is limited during the week due to being a truck driver. But it's going ok. I was originally going to start in Denver and work my way out, but I started on the Moffat Line at Rocky Flats by the Big 10 curves (If anyone on here railfans Colorado). I have been using Google Earth to get the measurements of the line as well.

Just didn't know if anyone is more familiar in the route as I'm trying to find the grades needed for the line, as well as just in general landscaping it. I'm in a cross though between of doing it a full baseboard scenery to get the distance or to set it up like a Layout type style. I'm using Trainz Model Railroad 2017 for it.
Thanks!! Hopefully once i get some sections completed will post pictures of it as well.

Trying to create parts of Colorado's rail network...
Routes trying to do is Moffat Line from Denver to Fraser, CO. The Front Range Sub from Denver to Longmont, CO. The Joint Line from Denver to Colorado Springs, CO.
At the end of each areas from Denver would have portals to create trains and to send them to further locations.
So far it's coming together... VERY SLOWLY lol as my time available is limited during the week due to being a truck driver. But it's going ok. I was originally going to start in Denver and work my way out, but I started on the Moffat Line at Rocky Flats by the Big 10 curves (If anyone on here railfans Colorado). I have been using Google Earth to get the measurements of the line as well.

Just didn't know if anyone is more familiar in the route as I'm trying to find the grades needed for the line, as well as just in general landscaping it. I'm in a cross though between of doing it a full baseboard scenery to get the distance or to set it up like a Layout type style. I'm using Trainz Model Railroad 2017 for it.
Thanks!! Hopefully once i get some sections completed will post pictures of it as well.

Welcome to the forums. This project is quite and undertaking, and by the sounds of it, your best bet would be to invest in TransDEM. http://www.rolandziegler.de/ :

You import the DEM files and maps from the National Geologic Survey servers, and Trans DEM will assemble everything in place. Once you've got the area you want, you then export the route either with track already in place, or with just the topographic maps or images, as a Trainz route ready for your work. What you'll get is accurate terrain complete with the track grades upon which you can laydown your tracks and place textures and scenery.

This might seem like a difficult program to use, but it comes with a nice set of tutorials, and will give you more than what you need.

I'm not knocking the way you are going about your project, but you'll find that modeling places such as the Colorado Rockies and vicinity by hand does not come out well no matter how much you try. (How would I know that...). The end results by hand-modeling and sculpting will be less than what you hoped for given all the hard work and effort you put into the project.

So in the end, you'll save your self a ton of frustration with better results all with an investment of $35 (roughly).

Welcome to the forums. This project is quite and undertaking, and by the sounds of it, your best bet would be to invest in TransDEM. http://www.rolandziegler.de/ :

You import the DEM files and maps from the National Geologic Survey servers, and Trans DEM will assemble everything in place. Once you've got the area you want, you then export the route either with track already in place, or with just the topographic maps or images, as a Trainz route ready for your work. What you'll get is accurate terrain complete with the track grades upon which you can laydown your tracks and place textures and scenery.

This might seem like a difficult program to use, but it comes with a nice set of tutorials, and will give you more than what you need.

I'm not knocking the way you are going about your project, but you'll find that modeling places such as the Colorado Rockies and vicinity by hand does not come out well no matter how much you try. (How would I know that...). The end results by hand-modeling and sculpting will be less than what you hoped for given all the hard work and effort you put into the project.

So in the end, you'll save your self a ton of frustration with better results all with an investment of $35 (roughly).
Thank you so much for the reply. I'm looking for any tips and tricks and etc. This is the first major route building I've done. I've done one before like a Layout but nothing of such great detail. I've always wanted to do this area since I used to live out there and railfanned it with my cousin. To due it correctly would be a great feeling and to hopefully one day get it on the DLS. It's gonna be big with those 3 areas.. might do some of the Eastward line but just taking it one area at a time. I've always wanted to have an actual layout of the area and have dreamed of being the first one to do one like what I'm creating. I've seen other people's layouts of it and it's just snipits of it butI want the full thing.. it adds more operating sessions and complex running.
But I'll definitely look into the program tonight when I get wifi.

:wave: Hello JCitron

Have a ? if I may along similar lines?

I downloaded a Trans DEM Ready Route from the DLS, (SEATTLE-BLAINE) and it shows up fine in TANE SP-2, but in the Route Comments Section (Second Picture here) , it says the following, need to install Hog Textures, could you explain what that is and what it does Sir? :confused:

Thanks.........;)

Isn't there already a D&RGW Moffat route (possibly payware) which includes the original route over Rollins Pass?

If attempting a freeware version, Transdem definitely needed and will probably need to use the advanced features to lower the DEM, in order to overcome the 3000m height ceiling in Trainz.

Isn't there already a D&RGW Moffat route (possibly payware) which includes the original route over Rollins Pass?

If attempting a freeware version, Transdem definitely needed and will probably need to use the advanced features to lower the DEM, in order to overcome the 3000m height ceiling in Trainz.

I haven't seen any.. I've been looking though. I know for the original train simulator from Microsoft (MSTS) they had it.. the good ol days of having to download like 10 or so files in Order just to have it lol plus it was set in the mid 1900s.
I've contacted the guy for transDEM. Haven't heard anything back yet for how to order it. It would help out a lot though. Cuz right now I don't have any grades put in just slowly laying the track down.
It would be freeware... idk I'm still trying to decide if I want to set it up as a Layout with the fascia and etc.. or have the distant scenery to go along.. Decisions for the future lol

Quite awhile ago TrainzItalia released "West from Denver" and "Rollins Pass" in both Winter and Summer versions.

They are expecting to release TANE versions of both routes, massively updated, possibly by the end of the year.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...cific-Screenshot-thread&p=1616751#post1616751

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...-PASS-1910-winter-NEWS&highlight=rollins+pass

So I think routes west may be well covered. North, south, and east are still needed.

Stuff on the DLS;

Route by pennsylvaniarr01
<kuid:682163:100895> Denver & Rio Grande Western Moffat Sub 2.2 SP-1

Route maps by jrfolco
<kuid:73500:100262> Denver to Pueblo
<kuid:73500:100345> Denver & Salt Lake Railway

Route map by talontrulock
<kuid:289618:100113> Denver, Pueblo, Grand Junction, Green River, Uintah Railway, and...

Dangavel is working on the Uintah
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?138110-Progress-on-the-Uintah-RW&highlight=unitah

If I had a wish it would be either the Front Range Sub or the Greeley Sub modern era to connect the "West from Denver" route and the "Sherman Hill" route.

Last edited:
Quite awhile ago TrainzItalia released "West from Denver" and "Rollins Pass" in both Winter and Summer versions.

They are expecting to release TANE versions of both routes, massively updated, possibly by the end of the year.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...cific-Screenshot-thread&p=1616751#post1616751

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...-PASS-1910-winter-NEWS&highlight=rollins+pass

So I think routes west may be well covered. North, south, and east are still needed.

Stuff on the DLS;

Route by pennsylvaniarr01
<kuid:682163:100895> Denver & Rio Grande Western Moffat Sub 2.2 SP-1

Route maps by jrfolco
<kuid:73500:100262> Denver to Pueblo
<kuid:73500:100345> Denver & Salt Lake Railway

Route map by talontrulock
<kuid:289618:100113> Denver, Pueblo, Grand Junction, Green River, Uintah Railway, and...

Dangavel is working on the Uintah
https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?138110-Progress-on-the-Uintah-RW&highlight=unitah

If I had a wish it would be either the Front Range Sub or the Greeley Sub modern era to connect the "West from Denver" route and the "Sherman Hill" route.

I can do the Front Range Sub... I'll just need some tips on what programs are good to use... I tried getting in contact with the DEM guy but haven't heard anything on how to go about getting the program.
I used to live in Boulder as a kid and have family now in and around Longmont.
I'd just need to know where start at from Denver so it would be close to the West of Denver route. And how far I guess.. I was originally thinking of doing it to Longmont and adding a portal there.

:wave: Hello JCitron

Have a ? if I may along similar lines?

I downloaded a Trans DEM Ready Route from the DLS, (SEATTLE-BLAINE) and it shows up fine in TANE SP-2, but in the Route Comments Section (Second Picture here) , it says the following, need to install Hog Textures, could you explain what that is and what it does Sir? :confused:

Thanks.........;)

Hi Blue,

This is actually an old HOG and Microdem-generated route.

See this here:

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ance...opology/TerrainGeneration/Downloading-HOG.htm

You can download the textures here:

http://trainz.luvr.net/projects-view.php?pid=390

Yes these sites still work! A blast from the past! :D

Some of the textures are built-in, or perhaps are in your older Trainz versions and you can export them and fix them to work in T:ANE. The others can be downloaded from the link above.

You need to edit the config.txt files and ensure there is a .texture reference as well as the .tga reference to the textures. You may also need to run them through Images2TGA. (I can't remember which I did first, or if I needed to do both - the pains of getting old!)

Back