Norfolk Southern's Shops have been Busy Recently

jordon412

33 Year Old Railfan
I've been keeping track of Norfolk Southern's roster and their shops on Roanoke (Virginia) and Juniata Shops (located just outside of Altoona, Pennsylvania), and they've been busy. The most recent brand new locomotives were 19 ES44AC's, delivered between May 2016 and March 2017. However, business is booming for Norfolk Southern's shops. At the time of the posting of this thread, here's a list of the current work:
Several EMD SD40 and SD40-2's are being rebuilt into EPA tier 3 emission SD33ECO for use in several yards across Norfolk Southern's system.
Second-hand EMD SD90MAC's being rebuilt into SD70ACU.
GE DC-traction Dash 9-44CW (NS model designation D9-44CW) and DC-traction Dash 9-44C (NS designation D9-44C) into AC-traction AC44C6M.
GE Dash 8-40C (designated D8-40C by NS) into Dash 8.5-40CW (designated D8.5-40CW by NS).
However, I am not certain whether they are continuing to rebuild SD60's into SD60E's.
The most notable rebuild is five hundred D9-44CW and D9-44C's rebuilt into AC44C6M's, being rebuilt from 2018 to 2022. 57 AC44C6M's are also in the works for 2017, 25 of which are not yet completed, 11 of which are being rebuilt by GE in Fort Worth, Texas. Meanwhile, out of the 110 SD90MAC's, there are 30 SD90MAC's not yet rebuilt into SD70ACU's, some of which are in service. There are three D8-40CW's being rebuilt into D8.5-40CW's. Four SD33ECO's have either been rebuilt and are not yet in service (one), being rebuilt (two), or waiting to be rebuilt (one).
There are two rebuilds that particularly interest me: two DC-traction D9-44CW's being rebuilt into AC-traction AC44C6CF and two DC-traction SD70's being rebuilt into SD70ACC. I'm not certain what 'CF' stands for, but I know that EMD used the 'F' in SD60F to stand for the full-width cowl body of Canadian Pacific's SD60F. The 'AC' in 'ACC' more-than-likely means AC-traction, but I'm don't know what the second 'C' stands for, but GE uses 'C' to represent three-axle trucks, and all SD's have three-axle trucks. If someone can help me figured out what the 'CF' and the second 'C' stands for, I'd appreciate it.
Obviously the employees at Norfolk Southern's shops won't be losing their jobs anytime soon.

Note: All of this comes from the following website: http://www.nsdash9.com/roster.html

This thread is kindof superfluous but I'll bite anyway.

Juniata is not outside of Altoona.

the SD60E program is supposed to go through 2019. They were still outshopping them this year.

"CF" has nothing to do with anything you suggested above. AC44C6M models are being rebuilt with GE control and fuel components, AC44C6CF models are similar but being rebuilt at CAF-USA with different control and fuel components.

The designation breakdown is AC - AC traction, 44 - 4400 hp, C6 - C trucks with 6 motors, M or CF - rebuild type

This thread is kindof superfluous but I'll bite anyway.

Juniata is not outside of Altoona.

the SD60E program is supposed to go through 2019. They were still outshopping them this year.

"CF" has nothing to do with anything you suggested above. AC44C6M models are being rebuilt with GE control and fuel components, AC44C6CF models are similar but being rebuilt at CAF-USA with different control and fuel components.

The designation breakdown is AC - AC traction, 44 - 4400 hp, C6 - C trucks with 6 motors, M or CF - rebuild type

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that if there was someone who would know more than I would, it'd be you. I wasn't certain if the SD60E program was over or not, as I saw some SD60's were stored, but the website didn't say if was because of a drop in traffic, or that they were being stored, waiting for their time in the shops. I knew that Juniata was near Altoona, at the bottom of the Alleghany Mountains, just not part of Altoona. Thinks also for telling me (and anyone else looking at this thread) what the 'CF' stands for. I know that CAF-USA was making the Viewliner II cars, I didn't know that they also did locomotives (I did some googling after your post).

Back