Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simulation Study

It's called a BRAIN ...if you have no brain ... you are not an engineer qualified of operating a train ... If you are a distracted nimrod, you are not fit to be an engineer ... If you need AI (Artificial Intelligence) to fill in for your ineptness, you are a hazard to the railroad industry, and you should not drive a train
    Last edited by cascaderailroad; August 14th, 2017 at 11:39 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MsRailroad View Post
    Thanks for the return! The study is one of distraction in the engineer. Trying to find a way to distract him/her with typical things that may be distracting (ie radio, paperwork etc), to where he/she may miss something that he/she should be visually looking at (my request was for the latter which you provided some good examples!)
    CyberDonGreen has given you a comprehensive tour, it would seem.

As a retired police dispatcher I'd observe that being called on the radio is not nearly as distracting as having to respond. One develops filters, liminal or otherwise, to pick out priority traffic. Having to frame an appropriate response can be distracting, but the officers I worked with were able to do so, drive at high speed through heavy traffic and mentally record the actions of a violator all at the same time.

On one occasion, two heavy freight trains collided and ran out over "my" highway, incidentally blocking several lanes of freeway while killing most of two train crews. If memory serves, one of the crews had been talking on a yard frequency while running on the main, and so, having only one speaker, failed to receive adequate warning of opposing traffic at a junction. The collision took place in sight of the approach signal bridge. There is a memorial marker at the location today.

Paperwork is the conductor's job, and the principle reason U.S. trains have them. However, the encroachment of unit trains with dedicated runs has reduced the number of conductors present....

:B~)

For pure distraction value, "There ain't nothin' like the female form." I recall many men being summoned to the bosses office in the UK summer months with regard to platform overruns or minor misdemeanours purely because the driver had been completely engrossed in the sight of a very attractive young lady revealing a whole lot more skin than one might expect to see in the winter months. Garden sunbathers too - in various states of undress from topless to totally naked - were the cause of more than a few minor "oversights." The location of such scantily clad, garden located, females very quickly became common knowledge in the messrooms and traincrews were primed and ready when in the "appropriate" district. Traffic in the area was inexplicably slowing down a little with signalmen often asking drivers, "Is there a problem at XYZ location?" before finally catching on that there was an "attraction" in the area. These ladies were fully aware of the attention too, often responding to the idiots who kept sounding the horn as they passed by waving enthusiastically and smiling broadly (yes, you get idiots working on the railway too.) Thanks to our idiot companions, it was often complaints from neighbours about the noise from the railway that brought about the curtailment of the attraction.

Call it what you want; nature, a break from the everyday comings and goings, anything you like, but the ladies will always be the biggest distraction in all forms of our lives. And it's not always the young and most obvious ones either.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdongreen View Post
    For pure distraction value, "There ain't nothin' like the female form." I recall many men being summoned to the bosses office in the UK summer months with regard to platform overruns or minor misdemeanours purely because the driver had been completely engrossed in the sight of a very attractive young lady revealing a whole lot more skin than one might expect to see in the winter months. Garden sunbathers too - in various states of undress from topless to totally naked - were the cause of more than a few minor "oversights." The location of such scantily clad, garden located, females very quickly became common knowledge in the messrooms and traincrews were primed and ready when in the "appropriate" district. Traffic in the area was inexplicably slowing down a little with signalmen often asking drivers, "Is there a problem at XYZ location?" before finally catching on that there was an "attraction" in the area. These ladies were fully aware of the attention too, often responding to the idiots who kept sounding the horn as they passed by waving enthusiastically and smiling broadly (yes, you get idiots working on the railway too.) Thanks to our idiot companions, it was often complaints from neighbours about the noise from the railway that brought about the curtailment of the attraction.

Call it what you want; nature, a break from the everyday comings and goings, anything you like, but the ladies will always be the biggest distraction in all forms of our lives. And it's not always the young and most obvious ones either.

Cheers

Dave

LOL!! This made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by MsRailroad View Post
    LOL!! This made my day.

Now make our day & register a copy of Trainz.
    T:ane SP2 build 88364 + SnC & Duchess