Angled crossings

Forester1

Hi! I am trying to put in a 30 degree crossing, 2-lane road over single track, but every 30 degree crossing I have downloaded has been 30 degrees the wrong way. Should I be looking for a different angle, like 150 degrees or 330 degrees? I haven't found anything for those. Or is there some way to flip the direction of the crossing? I haven't found any way to do that. Thanks!

Unfortunately the fixed crossings don't quite always fit the bill for what you need. The only way around this is to use the ATLS crossings which are made up of bits and pieces which you assemble then "program". These crossings are bit more work to begin with but given the advantages of placing them at any angle, even across curves, and on bridges, they're an invaluable tool.

You might like to try the ATLS crossing system by Boat. It allows you to place a crossing at any angle, simply by running a road across it and setting up the crossing controller, slave unit and triggers, some bells and lights are also programmable. Very easy to use and I wouldn't go back to a passive fixed crossing now.
cheers
Graeme

Thanks guys. I did read something about ATLS and angles, but it said to pick a crossing that as close to the angle of the intersection, and that kind of leaves me back at the same spot....

They are saying bail on the idea of using fixed track crossings and use ATLS. Youll get a better result.

BUT, you should look for the inverse rotation. Think compass rose. 30 becomes 220.

My Level Crossings 3 by Atilabarut

ATLS crossings have some limitations. Their strong points are you can set them and forget them, they will handle any crossing angle and using the Traffic Stopper the crossing itself is the same roadway as the approaches.

ATLS has some limitations, though. It does not handle switching/shunting situations well because stopping over a trigger and reversing is likely to confuse the controller and leave the crossing activated, or working in reverse for the next train. Also, an ATLS crossing too close to a portal gets locked ON if a long train starts exiting through the portal before it clears the last trigger.

A good solution is My Level Crossing 3 by Atilabarut. Each track requires only one trigger (I usually use the Sound Horn Bidirectional trigger on the crossing). Arriving and departing radii are set in the Rule. Where there are many crossings close to each other you can run two (or more) crossings as one. They have one sort-of-drawback in that each session my have the Rule installed and set up. If you are just starting this is not really an issue because if you build one session from the previous, the settings will go along. It involves some work to convert a larger number of existing sessions, but I find the results very satisfactory. Atilacrossings give a much more realistic performance than ATLS in crowded conditions and where shunting happens.

:B~)

While in switching and shunting situations I use the ATLS driver commands and set train priority to 3 and all triggers not to react to priority 3. ATLS is separate components that you place around the area of the crossing you want. See the ATLS advanced demo for ways to use them.

While in switching and shunting situations I use the ATLS driver commands and set train priority to 3 and all triggers not to react to priority 3. ATLS is separate components that you place around the area of the crossing you want. See the ATLS advanced demo for ways to use them.
I second using this method. I set up mains for normal 2 way operation and any spur to use a command to activate crossing. Think of it as a rusty rail situation if that makes sense? Learn to use the ATLS system, it will help but it takes time to understand and implement it.

Thanks for the helps guys. @JIb228, I tried looking for 220, and for 210, which is on my compass, but no luck with either. I am assuming a 45 would be too far from being "close" to a 30?

Thanks for the helps guys. @JIb228, I tried looking for 220, and for 210, which is on my compass, but no luck with either. I am assuming a 45 would be too far from being "close" to a 30?

Try 130. That would equate a 90deg flip.

In the States, only tram drivers have signal controllers. Main line crossings are all automatic. How often do you make a move while forgetting to trip/untrip the crossing? ATLS has its place and I use it, but in tight quarters the atilacrossings are much more prototypic. For one thing, they will ignore a stationary cut of cars when the default setting is used.

:B~)

Hi JIb228. I tried 130 and 120, which seems more like 90 degrees, but no luck finding either. So no luck, I guess I will force my layout to either a 45 or 90, which is not true to the real world, but I just don't see anything close. If anyone has a KUID for a crossing that would cross a north-south track from 330 degrees NW to 150 degrees SE, please post. All I can find go from 30 NE to 210 SW. I have seen references to negative degrees, like -45, which I assume is maybe a possibility but no -30. One of these days I need to learn more about content creation. Thanks!

Thanks for the great video link Stagecoach 75377! That is going to help a whole lot! So can I just lay the road over the track? That won't interfere? I guess I can try it and see, although it will look kind of funny....

Just to be clear, I am not looking for a ready-made functioning crossing, just the road/track interface at the 30 degree angle opposite of all of them I am finding out at the DLS. The rest I had planned on building just as you indicated with that great video.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great video link Stagecoach 75377! That is going to help a whole lot! So can I just lay the road over the track? That won't interfere? I guess I can try it and see, although it will look kind of funny....

Just to be clear, I am not looking for a ready-made functioning crossing, just the road/track interface at the 30 degree angle opposite of all of them I am finding out at the DLS. The rest I had planned on building just as you indicated with that great video.

Yes just lay the road over the tracks. Trainz's trains don't care. :)

If you are using the YARN roads, (not YARNnish), you'll find that they match up quite well with the rails so that just the rails stick out. There are track-objects crossing boards which will cover up the road in that place. If you use YARNnish roads, you need to lower them a tiny bit as they run a bit higher that the YARN roads.

Place the traffic stopper and rotate to match your road angle then split the road and join to the traffic stopper each side. Place the stopper over the track and raise or lower the stopper to get the level for the road across the track. These assets don't effect the track as they are not connected.

How we set the stopper so it will re-open AFTER the end of train had already crossed from the road, like ussual in real world?

You place a ATLS control-trigger (It's that green track-object that looks like a trigger. I can't remember what it's actually called) somewhere down the tracks as close or as far away from the road crossing as you need. You can also adjust the timings too on the gates I think as well. That is, if you are using the ATLS system.

Back