Thread: Error VE82

United States of America, Michagain, Berkley
    Blog Entries

Default Error VE82

Error VE82:High-detail .im files are not supported for traincar assets, as they are likely to perform poorly. It is recommended that you upgrade meshname.im to a .lm file.

This is not right as it is showing on things that are under 500 triangles, like doors and snow. I got this on my Winter snow witch is under 500 and have seen on doors. I think CM is only looking at the name.im and not the size. So how would you fix a wood box car door that is 12 triangles?

If you think that validation is incorrect, please send in an example (or if it's available on the DLS, just list the KUID).

Easy enough for us to check it and let you know what you did wrong, or to fix the issue if it's a problem on our end.

chris

Blog Entries

Download KUID2:58422:15227:2 open the config.txt and change the trainz-build from 3.7 to 4.3 and you get the VE82 Error on the "snow".

Okay, I've had a chance to look at this example. First things first, the wording has obviously been changed at some point. Here's the current wording:
    - <kuid2:58422:15227:2> VE82: Individual mesh files are not supported for traincar assets. Upgrade 'winter/snow.im' to a .lm file.

Now, to answer your question, there are a few things to keep in mind:
    1. This error only appears for non-trivial meshes. Your hypothetical "12 polygon door" won't actually trigger this error. That doesn't mean that it's a good idea performance-wise, because it's still an entire draw call, but you could ameliorate this by making it an attachment on the LM which is dropped after a certain distance. You could also just make it an LM file and have it drop out at a certain distance. The former is probably slightly more optimal, but both are valid and the latter perhaps offers more control.
    2. Anything non-trivial should have LOD- even if that LOD is just "switch this object off past a certain distance".
    3. The appropriate LOD to use for a traincar asset is LM.txt.

chris

Blog Entries

So you can have a LM.txt with just one LOD? or did I read that wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by whitepass View Post
    So you can have a LM.txt with just one LOD? or did I read that wrong?
    I can't think of any reason why not. LM.txt is capable of more than just switching IM files, so the absence of any other IM files to switch to doesn't automatically make the format useless.

chris

Blog Entries

Yes it works:

version 1.0
    offset=0.01;
    calcPoint=center;
    multiplier=1.0;
    animationCutOff=0.00;
    renderCutOff=0.10;
    attachmentCutOff=0.1;

mesh("1.0")
    {
    name="snow.im";
    }
    renderCutOff=0.10 is the line that makes it work.