today is the day!!!

MNIBARI08

Trainz veteran
A lot of users may agree that TANE & TMR2017 as not live to are up to there name and gone to shame, I reverted back to Trainz 12 as I understand everything about it and layout is better as I own ts2010 and ts2009 and many more listed.

I think creators have push to hard on there fans and there creators of routes and trains and so on, this is my final action to say the Trainz 12 is my only call and TANE will prooperly be my last I hope this puts a word out that content is getting more out of control.

I respected everything up to now and the creators have push there luck to far on the software If i was them I would updated TS12 to 64bit but the closes to it is TANE with too much cut backs on the way it look and editing process and basicly kill it and content was less and it shows nothing but its true colors on creators of nv3 themselves .

from Matthew ps if like TRAINZ that much stick with TS12 no more no less as I see it as a set back for NV3.

Well each to their own, but in my recent experience TS2010 is unusable as the terrain displays as a solid black colour. Last time I fired up TS12 there is just so much lacking that you can now do in TANE plus the lousy buggy CMP in the final iteration I uninstalled it. Now there's little doubt that SP2 knocked TANE back significantly but I'm fortunate to now have a working copy of SP1 HF4 which will keep me going ad infinitum. I couldn't go back to an older version which doesn't seamlessly smooth ground flush with the splines or allow me to use procedural track and apply superelevation to it.

I reverted back to Trainz 12 as I understand everything about it

That is most likely your problem, you need to understand how to use TANE to get the full benefit of it. I know there are problems, but they will get sorted soon.
I loved TS12, but I won't go back now that I have got to grips with TANE.

... you need to understand how to use TANE to get the full benefit of it. I know there are problems, but they will get sorted soon.
I loved TS12, but I won't go back now that I have got to grips with TANE.

I totally agree. There is no way that I will be going back to TS12. Despite all the problems that TANE is currently experiencing, I find it far superior to TS12 which had plenty of problems of its own.

He was just in a bad mood.
gamernok.gif
It will pass...

Just change :n: into :Y:

kissing2.gif

Last edited:
Since Tane SP1 came out fixing a lot of faults in the system I have run Trainz with no problems at all.
No way will I risk ruining things by getting buggy SP2 till it has been sorted properly
People have to have the latest version immediately in software, then complain bitterly about how bad it is.
If they just waited for a while a lot of distress would be saved.
The other thing with Trainz is you can have a number of the same versions at a time on your computer.
So the smart way would be to install the new version as a stand alone till it is working the way you want, then move your assests from the older version into it.
The problems with Tane are normal for most software.
With so many different machines operating the system there will always be hassles.
Also fixing one problem can then cause a few others.
I think N3v have done a great job so far and once it is sorted I look forward to using SP2.
Cheers,
Mike

Software updates are not a backward affair in the way you want them to be. There are many underlying changes which take place, that make newer versions of things incompatible with the previous iteration. There are reasons for this such as improvements in the underlying file structure to allow for faster loading and performance, which are not there in previous versions, or even improvements so that bigger files can be handled as well.

The thing is there are always bugs, or rather features as we grow to love them, and the bugs get stomped and updated. SP2 is not perfect and due to some underlying substantial updates, and differences somethings got more broken than before, and with the upcoming patches they will be fixed as well. But we will not ever, ever, ever go back to the Auran Jet Engine driven Trainz version. This was discussed ad infinitum in the forums here, if you ever bothered to read them you'd fine the information on this subject. There are numerous reasons why, and the game engine is quite old too, which meant after patching and updating as far as it could go, it would have to be rewritten anyway.

This is why, after much research for alternatives, that N3V decided to come up with their own game engine to run T:ANE. They looked at what was out there commercially, but found the one size doesn't fit all, and opted instead to write something which is meant for a train simulation, and not for chasing down aliens in outer space, or racing cars as well.

The old Auran Jet Engine was written differently than modern programs are, and had many, many bolted on options, which made the program heavy and unstable. As things were fixed over the years, like an old house with lots of old plumbing and wiring, things got a bit shaky. As others have said, I too have had a similar experience going back to TS12 off and on to move data forward or import something I left behind, but outside of that I've stayed with T:ANE. The last iteration of TS12 was a horror show with the sluggishness of the interface, which is the sign that the code is getting a bit overly complex and buggy, and I do not miss that.

When and if you learn to use T:ANE, you'll find that it's pretty much the same as before except with some newer features, actually improved things which were there before such as, for example, the improved Replace assets tool. Sure Content Manager is definitely different, but it's still essentially the same. So in the end, it'll be you who is left behind as the program and content moves forward. No one is stopping you from doing that, in fact you can have both, or as many other versions of Trainz installed on your PC. As recommended you maybe better off keeping T:ANE there waiting in the wings until this round of bugs is removed from SP2 and giving it a go. With programs like this, you don't want to be left behind because there's a lot of catching up to do when you do should you decide to upgrade later.

People have to have the latest version immediately in software, then complain bitterly about how bad it is.
That's just how it is sometimes. Compulsion for the promise of a shinier thing.

If they just waited for a while a lot of distress would be saved.
Valid point. I feel that having a bunch of people who have foresight about the muck they are jumping into can be a good thing. Gives the creator a chance to recieve feedback thus allowing for more accurate and thorough fixes. It's all in the perception I suppose.

The other thing with Trainz is you can have a number of the same versions at a time on your computer.
"It's true. It's d__n true." -Kurt Angle

So the smart way would be to install the new version as a stand alone till it is working the way you want, then move your assests from the older version into it.
This is a great idea. You also point out here that there is hope for a stronger cleaner update in the future

The problems with Tane are normal for most software.
Problems are normal? I'll disagree with the sentiment of this one. I feel that if a problem is considered normal, that in it self is a problem as it implies a form of surrender to negative adaptability. I'd rather do what I can do to fix it and post for assistance when it is out of my limits. This has so far given me a rather reliable SP2HF0.

With so many different machines operating the system there will always be hassles.
As long as these hassles get publicized, fixes can be initiated.

Also fixing one problem can then cause a few others.
This is part of the experience. The only perfection is imperfection.

I think N3v have done a great job so far and once it is sorted I look forward to using SP2.
Cheers,
Mike
Believe me, It will be worth it. I got SP2 and outside of the current hiccups, I am loving it. I bet SP2HF1 will be even sweeter.

I don't know what you're talking about. After all the problems have been ironed out, T:ANE is probably one of the best Trainz releases yet.

Someone's probably just butthurt because their computer isn't strong enough to run T:ANE properly.

But hey, that's your opinion, none of us are setting out to change that.

Matt

Hi
well i now also have T:ane yes it looks good but i stick with 2009 and 2012
why
because i am not going to spend big bugs just to get to run T:ane
my laptop runs 2009 and 2012 very well and it is installed on 2 different
drives 2009 on c-drive and 2012 on e drive
anyway i have been with trainz from the beginning and just love it
Kind Regards
tnny. [ herlev ]

As Mike said the one big plus that Trainz has is that you can run different versions of Trainz. I still use TS2010 which contains a number of Vincenth's French routes and sessions, It is worth keeping TS2010 just for these beautiful routes.
I keep TS12 49922 as I have a number of sessions for ECML and SnC. I am forever using Murchison 2 and this version holds all of my saved sessions. I use TS12 61388 as I have PLL, Yukon and Whitepass and Norm's NG Rollings Pass.
I also have TANE SP1 and SP2 as these contain the latest routes and sessions. Hard discs are cheap these days why not keep all versions, you do not need to choose.

Ken

If I was forced to go back to any version previous to T:ANE, I think I would miss the shadows too much. Everything just looks fake and incomplete without the shadows.

I am currently working on a route that requirie alot of old assets from ts12 or below not TANE or TMR2017 because the assets get broken witch I will tell all users that not all assets were updated or given back to you for e.g. S&C witich has lost half of its assets when updated to TANE. for all of us did not get what we pay for or they seen this as a money making opportunity and build number what up more errors pop up. I am not mad or getting in the bad mood for e.g as many of you think I am.

we need to ask NV3 a lot of questions what is thier game and why take our money, they really shown it this time They do not allways deliver the package on what they say. they could have updated TS12 to 64bit with out TANE but some users found out that TANE using TS12 coding underneath.

I can make a big sa on this on NV3 on thier very big problem of background on trainz.

fro Matthew:)

I am currently working on a route that requirie alot of old assets from ts12 or below not TANE or TMR2017 because the assets get broken witch I will tell all users that not all assets were updated or given back to you for e.g. S&C witich has lost half of its assets when updated to TANE. for all of us did not get what we pay for or they seen this as a money making opportunity and build number what up more errors pop up. I am not mad or getting in the bad mood for e.g as many of you think I am.

we need to ask NV3 a lot of questions what is thier game and why take our money, they really shown it this time They do not allways deliver the package on what they say. they could have updated TS12 to 64bit with out TANE but some users found out that TANE using TS12 coding underneath.

I can make a big sa on this on NV3 on thier very big problem of background on trainz.

fro Matthew:)

The 64-bit aspect is probably more complex than people think Matthew as it's meant other aspects like the Speedtrees having to be altered.

Shane

You'll find a lot of the assets from TS12 and below are being or have been repaired by the content repair group, who are all volunteers.
I have the TANE version of S&C which has no broken or missing assets and I even got a TS12 version thrown in.
As to what is N3V's game? It's TANE of course and they can charge what they need to for it. They are a business, not a charity and as such need to make a profit to survive or you will have no Trainz at all and be paying DTG exorbitant amounts for an extra route or loco.
Of course there is underlying code from TS12 in some form, how on earth do you expect backwards compatibility with older assets from TS12 and below without it.
N3V made a choice to keep access to the thousands of assets on the DLS rather than go down the path of something similar to TSW where there is only one route shipped with the game, no dev tools, still buggy as and no replay value.
Thank you N3V for making TANE and keeping the community development stream intact. I hope the next patch brings several hundred more steps forward and fewer than last time backward
By the way, ever wondered where the DOS Prompt in Windows came from? Command lines in Windows = backwards compatibility
Graeme

To the original poster.

What problems do you have in T:ane? If it's just the speed trees, change then all for Clam1952 tree models. His trees are very good, and then if you still need speed tree models, you can easily change them still in T:ane. If it's any thing else, please post what kuid's they are or even ask one of us to beta test your route! As other people have said, T:ane is still one of the better versions released, even though it hasn't lived up to the hype from N3V. Mock up picture back in the beginning, anyone? Still not got my modified post SP2 T:ane to look anything like that early picture!

Regards.
CaptEngland

Ive been gone for quite a bit from the whole Trainz experience-thing. Ive been chdcking on other forums and ive been hearing a mix of feedback. Is TANE a good buy instead of 2012 or 2010? Even on a small computer?

Ive been gone for quite a bit from the whole Trainz experience-thing. Ive been chdcking on other forums and ive been hearing a mix of feedback. Is TANE a good buy instead of 2012 or 2010? Even on a small computer?

The best advice is still to be found in this post

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?113153-TANE-Hardware-Discussion&p=1308206#post1308206

It is a couple of years old now and I would ignore the minimum spec list and go for a computer that met the Recommended spec. The crucial bits are the 64bit CPU and OS, and the dedicated graphics card (avoid the "integrated Intel HD graphics") that supports DX11 or better.

As to whether TANE is better than TS12 or TS2010, I can only say that after installing TANE I deleted TS12 from my system and have never looked back.

Last edited:
Back