Wireless adapter for desktop PC

ccowan2126

I am re-arranging a few rooms in my house and will not have my gaming desktop in the same room as my router and will NOT be able to use an ethernet cable to connect. I will need to buy a wireless adapter and need some input as to what to consider in choosing one. I see that a USB as opposed to an internal card may be the easy way to go. My current system runs Windows 10 and has only USB 2.0. Are there any other considerations? Brands to consider ?

Any input is welcome.

Thanks.

There are a couple of different wavelengths that wifi uses, it might be worth giving your router model number since being able to spread over the different wavelengths should give you faster wifi if you need it.

It's sort of what are the requirements, if its just downloading from the DLS and you don't care if it takes all night that's one end of the spectrum, want to watch you-tube 4k videos that's the other.

Cheerio John

Hi Connel,

I used a Net Gear USB wireless adapter at one point on my desktop because we didn't have the Cat5 run yet. It worked quite well and supported the wireless network we had at that time. This was some years ago now, maybe at least 7 years ago. I'm sure the technology has changed a lot since then and has surely gotten more reliable and better.

Here's a link that maybe useful.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...b+wireless+adapter&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

They're pretty inexpensive too!

Back