If this is the future of Train Simulation --- COUNT ME OUT!

Hmm, just checked the grumpometer and the readings are off the scale.

Sure they're games rather than simulations, but do they really deserve the bile?

Put it this way: one wouldn't need a 1st class honours degree in computer science or to be a Trainz/computer geek in order to play these games!

Rob.

Last edited:
Most of the stuff in that movie is indeed "fun for kids" and looks like simple games.

I do like the looks of that game featured between minute 6:45 and 7:49 though:
https://youtu.be/xi3xcNlSRT0?t=6m45s
Looks good and totally different then most of the kids crap you see before that point in the movie.

Hi everybody.
I suspect that although this video compilation may have been compiled recently the mobile games that are demonstrated on it where developed possibly for Android versions far below the 7.0 stage that platform has reached now. The forgoing would be the equivalent of demonstrating Trainz UTC running on windows 95 as a guide to the current version.

However, as Amigacooke states in his above posting, these are "Games" and even today mobile gaming (otherwise known as casual gaming) is there for light entertainment. it is not supposed to be a serious hobby or even serious gaming and does not set out to demonstrate itself as such. These are Games that people play on their phones whenever they have a few minutes to spare for "a laugh" often with others watching in work time breaks etc.

The above stated, mobile gaming in terms of graphics and processing power have move forward dramatically in recent times and for evidence of the foregoing just view some of the android flight simulator video's on YouTube. However, there is most definitely a dramatic shortage of rail simulation apps certainly on the android platform which is why a few of us on here have been campaigning for N3V to fill that void.

The mobile gaming platform is now the largest and most revenue drawing of all three gaming platforms. That's the way the market is moving whether anybody likes that or not.

Bill

Last edited:
I agree with Amigacookie and Bill, all of these are games and most, if not all, are for the mobile platform market. They are not simulators in any real sense of the word, except perhaps they simulate the experience of "playing with trains".

I thought #10 on their list was Trainz in Legoland and the "crash & bash" crew in these forums who are always wanting more realistic crashes, should perhaps move over to some of those games.

Hi pware and everybody.
I agree with Amigacookie and Bill, all of these are games and most, if not all, are for the mobile platform market. They are not simulators in any real sense of the word, except perhaps they simulate the experience of "playing with trains".

I thought #10 on their list was Trainz in Legoland and the "crash & bash" crew in these forums who are always wanting more realistic crashes, should perhaps move over to some of those games.

Pware, I have just had a chance to have a full look at the video and most of these "games" are labelled for PC, MAC or Linux which makes you wonder why anybody would want to write such poor quality apps for those platforms. Microsoft have stated that they are concerned with the poor support they are getting from developer's by way of their store, but if this is an example of what is in there it is little wonder nothing is being developed for it or sold through it.

The new generation of Windows 10s PCs and laptops will be restricted to only being able to run programs/apps purchased from the Microsoft Store which is obviously being implemented to push developers to placing their wares in that outlet. However, I feel Microsoft will have an uphill battle on their hands in pushing everything towards that store, and in that could threaten the success of the whole Windows 10s project.

All very strange.
Bill

Last edited:
Most of the stuff in that movie is indeed "fun for kids" and looks like simple games.

Looks good and totally different then most of the kids crap you see before that point in the movie.
I would have to agree. Every other game is absolute BS. And I think a couple are rip offs of popular ones.

Railroad Tycoon ... Don't make me laugh

I miss that game. If you want to make me happy, put me in front of a strategy game and let me play. Railroad Tycoon 3s flaw was the lack of in depth company management was the biggest let down for me.

The game before it, Train Frontier Classic, is a port of Train Frontier Express which was originally a game developed for the Xbox 360. Far from simulating anything realistic, it was a fun and relaxing game to play with easy to use world builder, multiplayer, and the ability to download friends maps quick and easily.

Some me of the strategy games shown are basically Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe, or OpenTTD, but without any of the fun business management side or things like loans, buying shares, absorbing other companies, etc. A game needs options to be something you want to pick up again after the first or second time playing.

Sidenote: VR Train Game. Your move N3V.

I miss that game. If you want to make me happy, put me in front of a strategy game and let me play. Railroad Tycoon 3s flaw was the lack of in depth company management was the biggest let down for me.

I enjoy Railroad Tycoon 3, particularly the Sandbox mode. I will also note that having a strategy guide also helps also, along with some cheat codes. The ones that are most helpful are:
bailout - Gives you $100 million. This is helpful if you want to get rid of your competition by merging with them, and also building tracks, buying equipment, and buying industries.
passport - Gives you access to all the countries on the map without having to pay a single dime.
trains are in my blood - Gives you access to all the different locomotives included in Railroad Tycoon 3, even the 'mystery locomotive'. It doesn't matter where the map is located, or what time it is, you'll get all the locomotives.

EDIT: That 'Train Mechanic' one is the only one that interest me because you will be able to do things you can't do in Trainz: Repair, maintain and re-rail derailed trains, among others.

Last edited:
Hey All --

Railroad Tycoon 1,2, and 3 --- were all fun ---

I've suggested to N3V to have some kind strategy on how RR use tools to place tracks and objects --- from a an aerial point of view!

For rural areas it would appeal in trainz! :hehe:

Ish

Just because it's for kids to play on their mobiles and tablets doesn't mean it's trash. Fun games for kids have their place (and their market) along with simulators, you think?

There are a couple of worthwhile train sims on the tablets...

ATS Train Driver 2 on the iPad is a Densha de Go type simulation of a Japanese commuter route, quite complex with more than one line/branches and varied timetables to try (more than most Trainz routes offer due to the difficulty of setting up such operations). Unfortunately I rarely get to play it as SWMBO hogs the iPad to play her farming and battle games...

HMMSIM2 on Android comes with two Seoul Metro lines by default but with a bit of work (also needs a PC) you can import and run routes/trains from BVE2 and BVE4.

Sensim (I think it's called) is similar to Real Railway on the PC but relies on video clips for the graphics.

There's also DOS emulators which I've used to run the old SIAM signalling simulations on the Android.

However there is also a load of old carp and don't necessarily be guided by the star rating. Often these are very basic with stop-go controls, flat landscape and sparse scenery less than you would see on an old DOS or Amiga game.

Not on the tablets but one new quite promising sim on the PC is Diesel Railcar Simulator by a chap called Oskari. Not posting a direct link as obviously a competitor to N3V but a Google or search of the Trainsim Dot Com General forum will provide more info.

Back