No Path to Destination

davesnow

Crabby Old Geezer
Trying to get a Helicopter to follow an invisible track. There are no breaks in the spline, plenty of waypoint markers, no track direction markers pointing in the wrong direction--- but my helicopter insists there is "No Path to Destination." What else could be wrong?

Check for junction levers without any junction. Drive slowly until AI takes over (a fault will be at that point)

There are no Junction levers. It's a continuous loop. And I did drive the chopper slowly until the AI took over. There was no fault anywhere near the area. That's why I'm stumped.

Just a guess (and I don't have TANE) but, I think you have to a couple of junctions along the way so the AI has "something" to lock onto.

Many years ago, I was using a DEM based route between Tucson and Benson Arizona. For some twenty miles, the former SP line runs over two different alignments. Well, the AI couldn't go past the x-over turnouts even though I had created a trackmark every 5 miles. I finally resorted to a creating a bunch of trailing spurs and nixed the idea that uphill trains could use the somewhat shorter downhill track for overtaking uphill trains. That got trains moving between the two x-overs that were some 20+ miles apart.

Last edited:
When nonsense things happen, I use the draconian method (several..): Set a trackmark near-by and see if the consist is able to reach it, then start increasing the distance a little more each time until the AI refuses to go. Or, lay a second piece of track parallel to the main one and have a consist to be control by AI to trackmarks. Use common sense. After all this years and all the experience you have, something has to give.

I've done that too Brian. It works because eventually the AI will stumble on whatever was ailing them.

The other thing too is to ensure all the track spline points are yellow. Sometimes when connecting track, I've inadvertently miss-clicked and ended up with two track spline points over each other and not known they were not connected. When I went around the route, which was quite long with lots of crossovers and sidings, I found the two white circles. I clicked on them and only one turned yellow and the other stayed white. After a readjustment and a slide together of the two track spline points, all was good to go and I had happy AI at that point on.

I've done that too Brian. It works because eventually the AI will stumble on whatever was ailing them.

The other thing too is to ensure all the track spline points are yellow. Sometimes when connecting track, I've inadvertently miss-clicked and ended up with two track spline points over each other and not known they were not connected. When I went around the route, which was quite long with lots of crossovers and sidings, I found the two white circles. I clicked on them and only one turned yellow and the other stayed white. After a readjustment and a slide together of the two track spline points, all was good to go and I had happy AI at that point on.

Well, I've spent 3-1/2 hours this afternoon running the session with four helicopters, spaced evenly through my 200 mile (321 Km) route. Three of the choppers have no trouble at all following the same track markers. One absolutely refuses to even leave the heliport! Go figure!

Three of the choppers have no trouble at all following the same track markers. One absolutely refuses to even leave the heliport! Go figure!
That suggests a search distance limitation. The message actually means 'Destination not found within the distance that I am prepared to search'. It's not clear what limits this distance and whether it's actual distance or number of hops. In the case of the fourth helicopter the problem is that the presence of the other vehicles forces the search to follow a different path, and that other path is too long to find the destination, or it runs up against a direction marker. You will find that if you stop the vehicle and then continue it will often find the destination, because the movement of the other vehicles in the meantime causes the new search to follow a different path.

The only way I have gotten long distances to work is by using the "Autodrive" driver command because as far as I can tell it does not do a search or try to move junctions etc...

The only way I have gotten long distances to work is by using the "Autodrive" driver command because as far as I can tell it does not do a search or try to move junctions etc...

Correct, the "Autodrive" commands do not switch track junctions.

There are no Junction levers. It's a continuous loop. And I did drive the chopper slowly until the AI took over. There was no fault anywhere near the area. That's why I'm stumped.

Let me analyze the situation : I read "continuous loop". There are no points, so it is just as a circumference. Exactly how are you setting the trackmarks? Where are they related to where the helicopter starts? What happens if you eliminate all the trackmarks and leave just one? And how far apart are they? Can the helicopter go by AI to a near trackmark? Then remember that the helicopter must go to the farthest trackmark, and then continue (return to the first one) so it can continue the loop, so directional trackmarks should be used.

You use it exactly like you would use "Drive To". When placed in the Driver Command Line it will give you two options - "Autodrive To" (identical to "Drive To") and "Autodrive Through" (which I think is the same as "Drive Via" but I have never used this option) then select the trackmark which is to be the destination.

Because it does not set track junctions, unlike "Drive To" and "Navigate To", I use it extensively in sessions where the player is required to set the track junctions themselves. I provide instructions on which junctions to set using message popups.

Back