Best Way to Release a Route with Non-DLS Assets/Dependencies

Hi, all

This may be a very obvious question, and it may have been answered multiple times in the past. I wasn't entirely sure what to search in order to find the answer, so I figured the best solution was to ask it myself.

I've been working on a route for nearly 3 years now, and the work is finally coming to a close soon. I've had one problem though... while a majority of the content can be downloaded from the DLS, some assets came from outside the DLS, and are not allowed to be uploaded there. As for an upload method, I thought the best way might be to put the route on the DLS, but mention in the title that it has dependencies from elsewhere, and then list what they are and where to get them in the description.

I have nearly 13 years of experience in the Trainz franchise, yet this is the first time I've ever attempted to release a route, so I thought I should turn to the community for any possible solutions.

Thank you!

Putting the route on the DLS and listing all the non-DLS assets with instructions on where to find them is the perfect way to release your route.

A lot of people don't/can't list all the non-DLS assets from their routes, so if you do know where you've got everything from, and you share that with the community, I'm sure it will go down very well.

I would suggest starting a new thread with the list of assets when you've uploaded the route.

And congrats on (nearly) finishing your route. ;)

Smiley.

I would suggest making a Dropbox link(s) which have the route and another link with a .zip that contains the 3D Party assets
(Also, congrats! I have many routes that ive been working on for 2 years but no where near complete)

As SailorDan says, ignore what trainz_12_fan_100 has said.
It is illegal to distribute other people's content.

Your original idea is best.
People don't mind downloading the content from the sites that they're legally hosted on, just as long as they know where to go to get them.

Smiley.

I didnt mean it like that. But instead of a .zip, do a Text document with where the find the 3d party assets or create a new thread once you release it with links on the 3d party assets. Sorry if I mispoke

Create a text doc in note pad and put it inside the route folder. All anyone has to do then is open the route in explorer and read the note or print it.

Putting the route on the DLS and listing all the non-DLS assets with instructions on where to find them is the perfect way to release your route.

A lot of people don't/can't list all the non-DLS assets from their routes, so if you do know where you've got everything from, and you share that with the community, I'm sure it will go down very well.

I would suggest starting a new thread with the list of assets when you've uploaded the route.

And congrats on (nearly) finishing your route. ;)

Smiley.

Thanks for the clear answer! The list of assets is surprisingly small, so I should have no problem putting it in the route description or a separate notepad file. Thank you!

Last edited:
Back