New YARNish Road Project Discussion and Suggestions

Mason9468

I have created new YARNish assets that I've uploaded to the DLS (find them by searching my author name, Mason9468), and I'm wondering what the community would like me to make next, so feel free to leave comments and requests. Since I've only done reskins of current assets so far, asking for things that require new models will take a while if I do them at all. I might however look into that if I can get the source files from one of the original authors, so if anyone knows how to contact them, let me know.

I would like to see intersections other than 90-degree T's and 4-ways. Maybe some 60-degree wye intersections if those are possible?

Thank you for offering to do these.

Having just fixed a number of YARNish assets on behalf of the CRG, I strongly suggest you discontinue reskins and try with original meshes. Getting the attachment points correct is vital and especially with the newer validation requirements. Adapting old meshes without the original source is very difficult, even with PEV's AttachmentMaker.

I'd stick with the YARNISH conventions though.

If you make new assets that use mesh libraries, please upload the libraries before the assets that use those libraries. Otherwise, they get put on the faulty assets list.

I don't yet know how to make new models for Trainz, but if you want to make intersections at different angles now (and don't mind doing a bit more work than with prefabs) you can make something like in this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B03h_U8FQgGyWk9FVEVyQ3VDbVU

(Sorry that its on Google, I just don't know how to link anything else lol)

I actually forgot to upload some of the assets shown here (thanks for reminding me), so it may take a day or two until you can actually use them. An advantage to using custom intersections is that you can make them however you want with any YARN or YARNish roads you want, and even add ATLS, so I personally prefer them.

Thanks for the input. I'm looking into new meshes but I really don't know where to start, and I have even less of an idea of how to get the new meshes to be compatible with the old stuff. I just don't want any new stuff I make to end up being a bit off from the original like how YARN and YARNish stuff is a bit goofy when used together. If you know any good resources for how I should go about this, it would be much appreciated.

Hello, just my 5 cents, can you name your assets MASONish, NEW_YARNish, or SomeOtherYarnish so it does not confuse me, The YARNish assets were just finally fixed for TANE, and this is just going to confuse the Bleeping Bleep out of me... Sorry.. Madeline Usher was the author of YARN. I wish she was still creating Trainz content. HERE.

So if you are creating new road networks, or adding to a current road network, can you name them something else? Please? Just my 5 cents.

PS, this is what Madeline Usher states in her original creations. "This content for TRAINZ is released to anyone who wishes to use it. You are free to modify it in any way, as long as Madeline Usher is mentioned as the original creator. This content may not be sold for profit by anyone. This content is distributed 'AS IS' which means that you use the content at your own risk. The creator is not responsible for any damage or loss of revenue or perceived loss of revenue in any way."

You are not extending this statement (mentioning Madeline) anywhere in you re-creations that I can see, so you are infringing on this statement.

Thanks for the comment. You can tell what stuff is mine because it has "AS" in the title (for asphalt) or "Weathered" (for the weathered highway assets). I didn't name it something else simply because nobody would find it, and might not know its compatible, but I will consider a new naming system. Thank you to the link, that's actually very helpful. All my stuff (At least after I update 6 things, because apparently I missed it on my intersections, so thanks for pointing that out) does mention Madeline, although it is after the rest of the description, so you might have to scroll down and you may not notice. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not trying to rip off Madeline in any way and I would like to give credit where it is due.

Hello, just my 5 cents, can you name your assets MASONish, NEW_YARNish, or SomeOtherYarnish so it does not confuse me, The YARNish assets were just finally fixed for TANE, and this is just going to confuse the Bleeping Bleep out of me... Sorry.. Madeline Usher was the author of YARN. I wish she was still creating Trainz content.

So if you are creating new road networks, or adding to a current road network, can you name them something else? Please? Just my 5 cents.
Mason--

If your new road system is compatible with the YARN standards, please do continue to include "YARN" somewhere in the name. There are many road systems out there, often incompatible with each other, and the YARN standard is one of the few that I can count on to actually provide roads and intersections that meet properly at the same height. If you want to add something to that, fine, but I fear that in my case at least if there's no "YARN" there I probably wouldn't even download it.

Thanks for your work!

--Lamont

I wish for 4L divided/8L highways, 2+1 roads and better city-themed assets so that I don't have to use Treadway. Maybe you could also add more divided/undivided highway transistions and European-themed or color-customizable road and directional signs?

... The YARNish assets were just finally fixed for TANE

The Yarnish Divided Highway, L3.1 - L6 (KUID2:506208:100139.1) allows connection of two three lane roads into a six lane road (KUID2:506208:100097:2) and a six to two threes. Traffic flows correctly to/from the three lane into/out of the adapter. Traffic to/from the six lane into/out of the adapter disappears.

I've tried connecting the six-lane road to the white center spline circle and the yellow center spline circle. Neither works. Also, what is the significance of the yellow arrows on the adapters?

The Yarnish Divided Highway, L3.1 - L6 (KUID2:506208:100139.1) allows connection of two three lane roads into a six lane road (KUID2:506208:100097:2) and a six to two threes. Traffic flows correctly to/from the three lane into/out of the adapter. Traffic to/from the six lane into/out of the adapter disappears.

I've tried connecting the six-lane road to the white center spline circle and the yellow center spline circle. Neither works. Also, what is the significance of the yellow arrows on the adapters?

Even though those adaptors were repaired, that doesn't mean they will behave as expected. I.E. as a real world intersection. They use a limited turnout concept and there is no provision for random switching. The design of the road "paths" within adaptors sometimes means that not all possible paths through intersections can be connected.

Disappearing cars usually means a bad or misplaced road connection.

Don't know about those arrows as I don't currently have access to Trainz.

Well, I would like to see divided highways splines of 4 or 5 lanes. THe same with the adaptors

I like as much realism as possible so when carz drive through each other at traffic intersections I get a little peeved. So, I created a metered 4 way intersection using the ATLS assets. I added the traffic stoppers to the roads, a slave and a reverse slave, and the controller. Now I have a tractor plowing a field, so that makes a good trigger device. I added the ATLS triggers to the invisible track the JD tractor uses and walla, carz don't drive through each other any more. The timing of the intersection can be adjusted with more or less triggers or by adjusting the speed of the tractor. Now, that's all well and good, but if you could do the same thing with just a intersection that would be awesome.

We need a intersection where a 4-lane road intersects with the on and off ramps of an interstate. Right now we only have a 2-lane road that intersects with the on and off ramps of the aforementioned interstate. We also need intersections with one-way roads, and intersections with 6-lane roads. And roads with a center turn lane.

Back