How to achieve realistic yard speed restrictions

Railhead001

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a way to achieve realistic speeds when entering freight yards, I believe the general speed for USA is 10-15mph. If so is it possible to have a layout set to that so when a train approaches the yard it will slow down and reduce speed to the yard limit and then when exiting achieve its previous rate of speed ? If so how do you go about setting a speed restriction ? Any help appreciated.

RH

You can place invisible speed signs on the tracks entering and leaving the yard. The DLS has many suitable signs that can be used.

With AI, when the front of a train hits an increasing, or decreasing, speedboard it instantly speeds up, or reduces speed ... when the last car of a train passes over an increasing speedboard it instantly speeds up ... if several speedboards overlap, the head end, and rear car, will kick in when it hits a speedboard ... especially with 1 mile long trains, you have to measure speedboards that they are spaced a tad further apart than 1 mile

cascaderailroad you are not right in what you say. If the speed sign decreases the first unit of a consist will slow it down, if it increases it wont react until the last unit passes it. If you pass a decrease speed sign before the last unit has passed an increase sign the consist will use the increased speed, it wont use the decrease sign until the last unit passes.

If you want the speed restrictions to apply only to a given session, rather than to the route itself, you can use the Driver command Set Max Speed To.... to slow your AI trains down in yard / industry areas. On leaving the yard, you use the command again with 'None' as the target speed. I haven't tried this in SP2, but it worked pretty well under SP1. You'll need to place track markers at the entry / exit points and Drive via the TMs before issuing the Set Max Speed To commands.

Try using <kuid2:137715:23002:3> Invisible Speed-Signal v2 (TRS2004 SP2). This will allow you to set the speed depending on the direction of the switch you are approaching is set.

Thank you all for the information. I managed to achieve want I was trying to. I have a reduction down to 15mph just before entering the yard and then an increase to 40mph after the yard. Results look fine. Thanks again for the suggestions.

My suggestion is to drive manually by CAB or DCC, in the cab, or by trackside rotating cameras ... the enjoyment of operating a train in, or out, of a yard is greatly increased by hands on train handling

My suggestion is to drive manually by CAB or DCC, in the cab, or by trackside rotating cameras ... the enjoyment of operating a train in, or out, of a yard is greatly increased by hands on train handling

Unfortunately my standards for cabs are usually higher then what comes with the loco.......generic cab views are a total downer

Back