New to Trainz... Have many questions.

Fred_Salieri

Hello Trainz Community! I am new to this game, and I feel that I am going to enjoy it really much!
I am Train Simulator 2017 veteran (had hundreds hours of gameplay, you can consider me as expert) , but T:ANE is kinda different.

1- Can anyone tell me great UK contents? Which are the best UK routes, consists, stocks, or as in pack, especially with interactive factories? (DLS prefered) Or is there a thread that highlights the best quality rolling stocks and locos?

2- Why doesn't my coal trailers get loaded while I am driving under quarry loader at around 1 mph, but having to stop all time? it takes really long with long consists, having hard time to apply brakes. And with some trailers, I witnessed that giving order to driver to load trailers, he sometimes stops wrongly, therefore trailers can't be loaded.

3- Isn't there a way to accept waybills and have scenario marker set, even with automatic signaller setting the junctions for me? Even I used "Navigate to" order for driver, there becomes no destination distance or marker whatsoever. And this is really pain when the route you are on is 300+ miles , not knowing where is where.

4- Testing UMR 2016, when trying to load wheat for example, only some gondolas could load it, and none of hoppers did work even with commodity picker. Plus, the loading pipes don't extend to next railtrack, so it's really hard if one would go for 100+ hopper set wheat run. Where's the problem?

5- Lastly for now, how can I see running T:ANE Multiplayer servers? I heard UMR 2016 has it. I would like to join one when I sort things out (learning the interface and systems)

I will ask questions under here if I find issues.
Thank you! :)

For a UK route try the 1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches - Truro to Penzance Route. Download its session 'Come Fly With Me'. Search by author Robert3a0 on the Download Station (highlight TANE only in the search filter.
Regards
Bob

Among the UK routes that worth to be installed (all on DLS):

1930s Cornish Mainline and Branches (the latest version), Rosworth Vale, Paddington - Westbury, BR WR Branch Line, Leeds to Sheffield, North Wales Coast Rail, Tristyn & District, Ffestiniog & Welsh Island Railway...

Some high quality freeware UK locomotives on sRs (http://www.srstrainzdlc.com/).

Welcome Fred to the forums and to Trainz.

For some really beautiful locomotive models, check out those by edh6 and Skipper1945. I concur the Truro to Penzance Route is really well done, and so is Clam1952's Ffestiniog and Welsh Highlands route, which has many, many pre-created sessions which you can drive right off without needing to create any and will surely keep you busy for some time.

With this said there really is a lot of content, nearly 500K assets actually, available for download from the DLS alone. Since the content is community made, some will be better than others, but in reality it's your decision and choice on what you should or should not use. Using the Content Manager, you can easily remove content once downloaded, though removing content tends to get neglected! (I'm guilty of having an 870GB data folder!).

Speaking of routes and such. The built-in Surveyor is the best. I'm saying this with some rather strong partiality. As much as I like driving, mostly switching, I enjoy building and fiddling with the non-built-in routes, or creating routes of my own.

Trainz will be a whole new world for you which will take up much of your free time unlike any other program (It's not a game! :) ) you've ever owned. With Trainz you can drive other people's routes, create sessions, use interactive industries as you've discovered, modify any third-party and non-built-in/pay-ware content to your hearts content including merging routes together.

If you are interested in making content, the program has the capability of importing 3d-models using the built-in, as of SP2, FBX-converter. If your asset is animated, you can build this into the model as well, and if there are other functions, they can be scripted. Speaking of scripting, this is a whole new world unto its self with a language similar to Java or C++.

What I've said here is only, if not barely, a scratch on the surface of what can be done. As always, feel free to ask questions.

John

Trainz has a long learning curve. It isn't a "simple" simulator. There is a lot to learn before you start to finally enjoy it.

I can't answers your questions, these other guys have to help. Sorry.

RJ Artim

Last edited:
Regarding UK routes and sessions, another one to consider would be the Settle & Carlisle pack. Now this is Payware DLC, but every so often it becomes available at a bargain price. The scenery is a bit dated but, in my opinion, that is more than compensated for by the number and variety of the sessions included with the route. You also get several UK steam / early diesel locos and accompanying rolling stock.

Regarding the filling of coal wagons, I have found that you have to stop accurately the first wagon under the chute. Provided this first wagon fills up correctly, you can then move forward continuously at around 3 -4 mph and all subsequent wagons should fill - assuming the coal mine / tipper has produced a sufficient quantity of coal.

Thank you everyone for warm, friendly answers :) Much appreciated!
I am currently on mobile internet, therefore I will try those suggested routes once I am home.

Provided this first wagon fills up correctly, you can then move forward continuously at around 3 -4 mph and all subsequent wagons should fill - assuming the coal mine / tipper has produced a sufficient quantity of coal.

I always had to stop, and while filling the train brakes automatically moved to half. Really time consuming when you plan hauling long :( Unless there's a setting I missed in options, tho.

Fred,

I am glad you came over to the other side of the tracks.....I too was a long time TS2015/16/17 user but was turned off by lack of support from the producer of the sim.......Trainz has come a long ways in the realism department whether its physics or how the pieces look. I have not gone back to TS and I am very happy with the community. the company and of course Trainz itself. Yes the learning curve is sometimes higher but the resources are numerous. YouTube for instance is a great resource for step by step guides covering a full range of subjects relating to Trainz. Enjoy the ride and don't look back !

Back