Kinky track

greymaster

In TANE sp2- Curved track often has horrible kinks and appears as short sections of straight track rather than a smooth curve. It happens with any type of track, and any size of route. This problem never appeared in Trainz 2006. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Certain tracks are higher poly, and have a 10m repeat rate ... that's why I use a low poly chunky mesh "MP Track Wood v2" by Philskene, that curves fabulously, and has great framerates

In TANE sp2- Curved track often has horrible kinks and appears as short sections of straight track rather than a smooth curve. It happens with any type of track, and any size of route. This problem never appeared in Trainz 2006. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Are you talking about the case where curves meet at a spline point at a sharp angle instead of being smoothed out across the join? I encountered this when I imported several TS2012 routes into T:ANE (in my case into SP1). I found that trains would actually continue to run across these "doglegs" making an extremely sharp turn as they did so. (Any real train would have ended up all over the landscape.) If this is the case I'm sorry to hear that it's still happening in SP2, as I'd hoped the Trainz team would have fixed this one by now.

If you mean that there are several sharp kinks in a single track segment between two adjacent spline points that's a different story and the other responder to your question is correct--although I don't know why this wouldn't happen in TS2006 if it's the track itself.

--Lamont

Certain tracks are higher poly, and have a 10m repeat rate ... that's why I use a low poly chunky mesh "MP Track Wood v2" by Philskene, that curves fabulously, and has great framerates

That's not really a solution though is it?
I understand that less segments = less polygons but that difference is too small to justify the visual effect.
Besides, that's why LODs exist.

Is the choice to have the track repeat at longer interval purely by choice of the content creator or is there another, technical reason for it?

Clone the route by doing a 'save as' and then use the bulk asset replace tool to try out different tracks. My recommendation would be LRW procedural track or one of the JR non procedural tracks depending on performance of computer. LRW track suffers only a small performance hit on lower end computers and is the best pro-track I've found so far.
cheers
Graeme

I agree with Graeme this is the best of the pro-track out there.

As far as kinking track, it has to do with the breaks and repeated segments and some track is better than others.

You never did say what track you are actually having the problem with. There were some old ones, those chunky mesh tracks actually, which are really, really high poly, and are notorious for this even in TS2009 and TS2010.

Back