Museum pieces

peterwhite

Steam Rules OK
Just come back from an amazing trip on Route 66 from Chicago to L.A. and just happened to come across these beauties just stood at the side of the road. I knew they were big but I didn't realise how big till I stood alongside them.
Quite impressed.

04b18ed4db08f0e570f7c080407370fb.jpg

054cd714ca74827656cc364dbb6a4a63.jpg

1133985ce0753bde47a3f1474e181f67.jpg

Peter

Very nice Peter!

These locomotives are nicely arranged and don't look like they've been stuffed and placed on a piece of track.

I love how they all have "do not climb on train" signs. I don't know why, but it just seems funny to me:hehe:

Unless there is a lot of internal deterioration that can't be seen it doesn't look like it would take much (relativly speaking) to get it running again (other then mucho dinero). Looks to be in darn good condition.

Ben

I love how they all have "do not climb on train" signs. I don't know why, but it just seems funny to me:hehe:

Well it's due to the insurance cost and our litigious society. In the olden days when I was around 7 we visited the Steamtown Museum when it was up in Bellows Falls, VT. This was during their better days, almost 2 decades and before the display was moved to Scranton. During that visit, there were no signs about not climbing on equipment, and climbed on every locomotive including what I think was Big Boy on display there, or at least one of the cousins.

Move on to 2013 with a visit to Strasburg, PA, and the signs were all around the equipment. The reason I believe is simply the museum does not want to be responsible for some brat that falls off and gets hurt. Without the signs, some parent would file a law suit against the museum and we'd lose out as they claimed mega-buckos for their hurt brat. With the signs in place, the parents are now told to keep brats off the equipment, as well as telling stupid idiots not to do that either. Should some idiot or brat now climb up and fall off, well it's tough! You didn't see the signs, which say do not climb on the equipment, sorry no buckos for you! In the corporate world it's called C Y A.

Well it's due to the insurance cost and our litigious society. In the olden days when I was around 7 we visited the Steamtown Museum when it was up in Bellows Falls, VT. This was during their better days, almost 2 decades and before the display was moved to Scranton. During that visit, there were no signs about not climbing on equipment, and climbed on every locomotive including what I think was Big Boy on display there, or at least one of the cousins.

Move on to 2013 with a visit to Strasburg, PA, and the signs were all around the equipment. The reason I believe is simply the museum does not want to be responsible for some brat that falls off and gets hurt. Without the signs, some parent would file a law suit against the museum and we'd lose out as they claimed mega-buckos for their hurt brat. With the signs in place, the parents are now told to keep brats off the equipment, as well as telling stupid idiots not to do that either. Should some idiot or brat now climb up and fall off, well it's tough! You didn't see the signs, which say do not climb on the equipment, sorry no buckos for you! In the corporate world it's called C Y A.

Yea, I know why the signs are there. Like I said I just find it amusing that in 3 different (and very nice) photos of 3 different locomotives, you can always see one. I think the only place I've ever been where you could climb on any equipment was Cantigny tank museum in Chicago. they have some tanks you can clamber all over, but I think we had to sign a waver saying "if we fall its our fault" first.

Yea, I know why the signs are there. Like I said I just find it amusing that in 3 different (and very nice) photos of 3 different locomotives, you can always see one. I think the only place I've ever been where you could climb on any equipment was Cantigny tank museum in Chicago. they have some tanks you can clamber all over, but I think we had to sign a waver saying "if we fall its our fault" first.

Yup they make those signs prominently displayed, otherwise someone will claim it wasn't visible.

That tank museum sounds cool.

Someone needs to reskin some do not climb signs for our virtual museums.

Back